Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Mornacale posted:

I'm pretty sure that if a company starts raising its salaries for men and not for women, and all this data is public, it's not going to go well. I certainly don't think that something like this is going to eliminate pay discrimination--only the destruction of systems of oppression in general will do that--but I don't think that it would somehow help white men and leave everyone else behind.

Main Paineframe posted:

How won't it go well? What concrete consequences would the company face? Unfair treatment of women is already well-known and doesn't seem to hurt companies much. Injustices and inequities being made public, by themselves, won't cause enough backlash to force the company to change its behavior. Companies are perfectly fine paying some people less than other people, and the workers for the most part know that it's happening. They keep wages secret to keep morale up among the lower-paid workers, not because they'd be forced to equalize wages.

Seriously? Blatant wage discrimination against women across the board as he's describing is illegal and a great way to get sued. It also doesn't account for a large part of the wage gap, but that's a separate issue.

edit: It would make discrimination lawsuits a lot easier as the burden of proof is largely on the employees right now.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

If you have no experience, no marketing skills and no one is hiring, how would you get a job even if you aren't competing against people with large networks?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

mugrim posted:

You're literally advocating to just be fine with racism in the employment force and advocating against mechanisms that could easily move to establish more equality.

Jesus, why is pay transparency so threatening to people?

Why would pay transparency affect nepotism and racism? I don't think that's been proven in this thread.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

rscott posted:

Criminal records aren't fully available to the public except in certain cases like child support, driving related offenses and sex offenses but employers already require employees to submit to background checks and to disclose their criminal records, I guess I should retract my previous statement somewhat.

That's not true, and you can perform a criminal background check on someone without their consent. The consent for background checks is more for education and previous employment.

• Locked thread