Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Mirthless posted:

Telling people how much you make in my workplace will get you fired. They told us that on day 1, since we were hired in at a higher rate than other people doing essentially the same job. They were very up front about how they didn't want fairness in the workplace when it came to wages.

I don't even work for some small bullshit outfit, I work for Hewlett Packard.

I once worked for HP as a contractor and was told the same thing. I was hired along with about 10 other people who were all paid the exact same pay, except for me. I was paid 3 bux less an hour, even though I had years more experience than nearly everyone else.

I was the only female in the department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
For some more anecdotal evidence- I have been job seeking so I can make better money/ I'm afraid the company I work for now is going out of business. My fiancee (same qualifications and experience and industry) has also been job seeking. When he mentions he is engaged he is generally offered a higher starting salary on the basis that it will "help him start a family" and I am offered less because "I will be dedicating time to our future kids."

We have respectively been told this by several different recruiters.

A friend of mine is also job seeking and is trying to exploit this even though he doesn't have a girlfriend.

Also I tried to bring a lawsuit against my old job with HP because of the pay difference, but it was cost prohibitive for me to do so, AND I was told I had to provide proof I was the only one being paid differently. Considering I didn't have access to anyone's paystubs but my own and one other persons (my fiancee worked there too so I had that one obviously) unless everyone else were kind enough to give me that info I was screwed. Now I do have the money to hire a lawyer to make this happen but the statute of limitations has passed so they got away with it scot-free. A database of everyone's salaries would've solved this problem for me and likely would've made it impossible for the company to gently caress me on pay to begin with, but since that wasn't information I had going into the job (so I could've negotiated a better salary or just worked someplace else) I got shafted.

This isn't even going into the harassment problems women in IT tend to face. I'd seriously quit the industry if I had a more viable option.

• Locked thread