Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I found this yesterday and binged my way through it today. You guys are pretty good! I'll admit, I've ended up using the videos more as background sound while I play games, but that's mostly because the game seems to be rather bad and it's your commentary that's the interesting part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

gameplusmeagan posted:

Hey thank you, we appreciate that! We hope to someday play a good Sherlock game, but that may be reaching for the stars...

Well, people have mentioned one or two of the better ones earlier in the thread, right? Could give them a try. I know one of them isn't out yet but I thought there were another couple...

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Kangra posted:

I have it on good authority that the deerstalker will make a comeback in a century or so. (also, weirdly shaggy sideburns).

This game should have had a robot Watson.

Oh my god so I'm not the only one that watched that?

Edit: Also, watching through these again to actually pay attention, vis a vis you guys discussing Solomononomonoguy using the term demon, I would point out that you don't really have to believe in hell to believe in malicious or horrific spirits, or to use such a word to apply to a particularly monstrous person. As well, given translations over time from both Judaism and Christianity and different languages, not to mention the game itself, it's entirely possible that 'demon' is the closest thing that fits the concept. :spergin:

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 30, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

gameplusmeagan posted:

As promised, new episode... watch your ears at the end; headphone users, I apologize in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojfZcAqjo8g

Wait, why are we doing all this sneakysneak to get the police dispatches? The guy gave us permission to look at them! And wow, that face really does look like Michael Jackson.

I will say that it would seem that that one lady who was face-mutilated does sound like someone attempting to recreate the image of one effected by the Pox, but what then of the uteri? How does that all fit in? Is there going to be 2 people in this, Tumblty and this other guy? Or does Tumblty also have experience with the Pox? Given that he was apparently a doctor or surgeon, I forget which, in the American Civil War, it doesn't seem too far fetched to me that he would have experience with it. I'm just loathe to think that it's Hardiman. Though what the doctor said about the disease going from a prostitute to a man then from he to his wife and then from her to the child... well, we do know that apparently he ah... rode the Big Whirly at least once after they'd died. Well, Danni said he came to her for comfort in his grief. So it's possible he'd seen prostitutes before that. I'm just saying, I don't think he's a pedophile. Only a person who committed infidelity. An infidel, you might say.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

Another way that infants would catch the pox was through wet-nurses, I believe.

But then, I don't think that this game goes that deep. And that loving picture at the end was horrifying.

True. And STDs can be contracted from any bodily fluid exchanges, not just sexual congress. Get a cut, some of the virus/bacteria (I forget which one syphilis is) gets into it, bam. All the disease with none of the sex!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Okay I don't like to post before having finished a video but my god. I could not stop laughing once Sherlock got back from the crime and you two were so confused and just, my god I'm still chuckling every so often. Bravo! I don't know if this is mistranslation or intentional but this is amazing.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

Huh, the butcher sure came up a lot in this episode...
Butchery... Carved-up women...

Oh god, why do I get the feeling this game is just about to get even grosser? :gonk: I don't think human meat is even kosher...

Yeah, but it's weird. So far all the killings I think have been mentioned that whoever did them had surgical precision, something that a skilled butcher might have. But at the same time, this latest killing is... well, sloppy to say the least. If the killer wanted the heart then he could have gotten it a lot more easily, without slicing open the entire chest cavity and legs and removing the stomach and intestines and other things. However given all this it's reasonable to conclude that our killer is not of sound mind, so that may account for it. But what is the connection, is my main wonder. If he's going for specific organs... okay. But then why make one woman look like she had syphilis and none of the others? Why did the first one have a ton of stabbings? While all these killings are certainly connected by their targets, it just seems that the methods of death are different in each, and that the manner of death isn't consistently getting more gruesome; the first death was via a ton of stab wounds, then we had one that was just, if I remember rightly, a slit throat, then I think the syphilis look-alike, and now this. I'm having trouble finding any pattern apart from the targets and that each apparently had an organ removed.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I'm so confused. Who's Joseph Levy? I thought we wanted Jacob Levy? So he moved out and some other guy who just HAPPENED to be a butcher as well moved into his house? And the kid has syphilis? I don't... what? Screw it, we deducted that the Ripper is short, ~32 and right handed (I think) with light/blond hair and an olive complexion, if memory serves. That sounds like this guy whose house we just visited. It's him, calling it.

Though that is not the face of syphilis, that's the face of a kid whose face is concave instead of convex. What the gently caress.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
My condolences.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
That sounds like a really cool idea. So you'd be able to get more information from practically every item in the game than would appear at first glance, and it's up to the player to fit them together, sort what is pertinent from what isn't? The key would be keeping it on track; otherwise you go down a completely different line of reasoning than the game expects and dead-end because you've gotten some core idea incorrect and it's effected all your work.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I think that for this kind of thing, you'd want a more limited set of suspects, people you can interact with, and objects/crime scene stuff/evidence for precisely the reason you mention- no trying to figure out what to do with the banana, just knowing what there is to know about it. As you say, the issue is keeping people from spending too much time tracking/investigating wrong leads/paths and getting frustrated. Hence the need for less things that can be part of the mystery investigation. I agree with you that it should be logical, once one knows the circumstances and relevant things about the crime scenes and evidence.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Hmm, interesting. But tell me, prospective tester... how comfortable are you with uteri?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Oh boy, time to watch!

*one watch later*

Well that was total bullshit.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 20, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

StoryTime posted:

Reasons Game+ should LP Crimes & Punishments once it's LP-legal

Well, I think you know what to do in 3 months guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Forgall posted:

He forgot the most important reason: Big Whirly

Well. I'm sold.

Also, if you're looking for other games to play, might I suggest taking a look at some Hidden Object games? They're pretty inexpensive and if they turn out to be your thing, quite fun. I would personally recommend Enigmatis: Ghosts of Maple Creek or 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek. Both are mystery-themed too continue on after Jack the Ripper.

• Locked thread