Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

vssrio23 posted:

"Higher risk level" is a cool catch phrase until an investment in an equity-based mutual fund loses over 35% of its value within a year. Impossible, right?

Looking at the OP, ".6%" cash is worse than most fund managers. At a market cycle like this, you should have at least 15% in liquid cash for the inevitable crash that is looming on the horizon. I'd consider moving away from US-based equities and into fixed income and cash.

It's not a catchphrase. A person who is young is able to withstand major equity shocks and does not need to withdraw from mutual funds in the long term. Furthermore, there is no reason to have 15% of your savings in liquid cash, assuming that you have the expenses to be able to live for at least 6-12 months. Moving to Us based equities and fixed income at a young age when you do not need to withdraw money will lead to wasting a lot of potential gains.

Please at least read the long term investment thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

vssrio23 posted:

The point behind have a cash reserve is that it will allow you a buying opportunity for equities that are trading at a steep discount immediately following a crash. Simply keeping a long position on every equity you own with no regard for the general price of the market is a sure way to lose money. The proposition that equities will always go up no matter the time or economic environment is a smug disregard for the maxim that past returns do not indicate future performance.

In a thread about Wealthfront, a company with a investment philosophy that was founded on the principles of Malkiel and Bernstein, I'd recommend that you at least appear to have read their books or be able to logically argue about their claims before giving away advice. Please go back to the Stock Trading thread and avoid necroing a dead thread that has already been answered.

• Locked thread