Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I'll post more later, but here's a quick post for now:

1) Most of my assets are with Wealthfront and I'm quite happy with them.
2) I have more than 100k but less than 500k with them, so I qualify for tax-loss harvesting but not the 'WF500'
3) I haven't actually harvested any losses so I can't comment on that -- I've been with them since January and every component of my portfolio is up at least 2% since then. My allocation is more aggressive than yours (I think I'm a 7.5 or 8 on the risk scale).
4) Wealthfront definitely is aimed at high-income tech workers, hence the muni bonds. They are really popular out here (SF/the Bay Area).
5) IMO their claims of tax alpha are overblown but there is some small benefit to it.
6) I've read that quora article and that pivot is a bit scary, but it was a long time ago and they've clearly found their niche.
7) Their web app is good. Their iOS app is really good.
8) IMO the biggest benefit of Wealthfront to most people is that it encourages good investing habits. A diversified portfolio, automatic rebalancing, regular deposits, etc. That's probably worth 0.25% to a lot of people right there.
9) I expect them to get acquired in the not-too-distant future.
10) If you're signing up, I can send you a referral link -- both of us get an additional $5k managed free of fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread