Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
why are you guys responding to the guy who thinks minecraft IRL is the solution to the world's problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
asdf do the words marginal propensity to consume mean anything, anything at all to you?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

I suppose you are going to argue that a crisis is an acute event (such as in 2007-2008), but there is recent evidence that more unequal societies experience less durable growth than more equal societies. I've only read the executive summary (the rest comes later today), but I would call prolonged bouts of non durable growth a crisis.

Not to mention that the more unequal a developed society is, the worse off it is in every objective sense. There are higher levels of crime, lower life expectancy, more incidences of mental health illnesses, higher levels of teen pregnancy, etc etc etc. These worse outcomes don't just affect the very poorest of those unequal society, they affect everyone except those at the very top of the income scale.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

asdf32 posted:

Certainly many bad things correlate with absolute (not relative) poverty as well.

Absolute poverty is not as large of an issue in first world economies as relative inequality is. This does not refute a single thing that I have said.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Hey guys Donald Sterling is worth like $2billion he must be way better at understanding how the world works than all of us combined
- A literal thing that wateroverfire believes

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Of course it's a meritocracy, the rich people were just that much better at being born to parents with money

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
White flight sure is self segregation

e: I mean for the white people that is

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You need wealth to generate income it turns out, who would have thought?

Since racism is over and all and it's been a solid 50 years why haven't we seen a trend in average wealth increasing for minorities? Maybe it's because wealth inequality is at least as important as income inequality?

e:

Turns out income inequality hasn't budged much either, who would have thunk???

rscott fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 1, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ColoradoCleric posted:

Yes, basically. Really to get an accurate measurement though you're only look at 1 generation past that have had the opportunity to build that generational wealth, now we have to look at what contributes to further disproportional generational wealth.

what the gently caress does this word salad even mean

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yes it is sour grapes that people won't agree with you when you try to claim some kind of superiority of position because you aren't ideological (hint everyone is ideological you moron).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
maybe if you guys would stop chanting SEC all the time the rest of the country wouldn't want to loving shoot you christ

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't like reading anything with charts, graphs, or other large images on my kindle. Small screen.

I haven't started this book yet (Raising Steam comes first :colbert:) but I read The Spirit Level on my Kindle and the charts in that were pretty easy to read on my Kindle.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

radical meme posted:

I don't think I agree with that. Progressive movements were buttressed with action and threats of action, or in many instances, threat of inaction, work stoppages. The violence and threats of violence usually came from the status quo attempting to thwart any progressive change. I don't doubt that the left was ready to protect themselves from violence or respond to it in kind but, in most instances, the violence was initiated by the existing power structures. I'm sure you'll point out where I'm wrong about this.

In a society that places more value on private property than the rights of its citizens to live in basic human decency, economic disruption is violence.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
fierce defenders of the status quo like fischmech don't really want social change though

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

It actually does something, unlike Occupy.

Great strawman. :)

You don't, at least to the extent to actually affect the types of changes that are being discussed here and that's because at some level you are fundamentally ok with the way things are right now. All liberals are, if they weren't they'd be actual leftists.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Um charity might perpetuate institutions that enforce the status quo but I don't think it's fair to say that they do more harm than good. It's poo poo like this that makes leftists sound tone deaf and out of touch with the people that they're professing to have the best interests in mind for. I mean christ you tell someone who's at a church run homeless shelter that they're better off out on the street until the revolution comes and lifts them up and gets them the help that they need and they're going to think that you're an rear end in a top hat. Please do not be so rigidly ideological that you forget that actual human lives are being affected.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
the goal of social change is to you know, not have to have people dependent on charities and poo poo. But in the meantime things really are pretty lovely and by saying "charity does more harm than good" you are saying that the people who's suffering has been eased by charity is less important than dumping some money into political campaigns. That sounds terribly uncompassionate. Like, charity literally saves lives. You can be aware of the fact that charity is not the only way to help the disadvantaged and that it can cause people to believe that they're doing enough by donating their time and money to a charity and that political change is not needed. But you are going out quite a bit further on that rhetorical limb and I'm afraid it isn't going to bear much weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
more harm than good means a thing you should not do, because on the balance, you know it's doing more harm than good. So it's bad. And you shouldn't do it. That is what that phrase means to most people.

• Locked thread