Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
--I got way too into this. Sorry.--

My title (Analyst) is pretty unambiguous and generally ubiquitous among banks worldwide: the position at which poo poo naturally comes to rest after a long roll downhill. It's actually remarkable everyone agrees on that because every shop has their own take on the rest of the hierarchy

Since chain-of-command is kind of a big deal, titles are shown pretty much anywhere you can find someone's name. Even my assistant goes by "Expense Reporting Expert," which may be a misnomer given her astonishingly consistent inability to accurately report my expenses. Not so for analysts; we haven't had an official title since at least the Crisis. We're the only guys in even remotely client-facing positions who get business cards without titles. The space for title in the intranet Phonebook is just blank--pulls directly from the employee database, which feeds the utilities we use to populate contact lists, presentations, etc. We do control our e-mail signatures, in which the defiant insertion of our titles has remained a topic of debate (50/50, I don't).

I realized 6 months or so in that it wasn't a case of "tech people / HR haven't gotten around to it yet." It's another subtle reminder that until you hit Associate, nobody gives a poo poo who you are, what you think or which parent's birthday dinner you're missing to work late. It's not like we've got super lame titles--"Communications Hardware Support II" and so on--but for whatever reason we've been deemed unworthy, artificially separated from the rest of the corporate finance hierarchy. It's the job telling us that no matter how many all-nighters or long weekends you spend at your desk, without an MBA you are a non-entity.

--And yeah, that's my rant on titles.--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread