Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you #JoinTheForce?
I already have
I want to I just don't know how
Only if they sign Sid
#JoinTheForce
View Results

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Skinty McEdger fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Already drawing better than TNA.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kih23dxNB3c

I can't believe how many unlicensed soundbites they managed to fit into 2 and a half minutes.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

Bound for Glory was pretty good, it was great for a modern TNA show. The biggest blunder they had was the Triangle TLC match blow-off being on Impact the week of BFG instead of being on BFG, because the Abyss/Dreamer vs 3D wasn't nearly as good.

They couldn't do the TLC blowoff on the show because two of the people involved in it wouldn't have been able to get into the country for it.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Glad to see that there will be commentary options at least.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Any word on if this will be available in countries outside the US? Being in Australia the timezones would line up nicely for a live viewing.

The GFW feed seems to be US only, but theres still legal ways to watch the product over ippv via Nico. Obviously that feed won't have the English commentary so if that's a deal breaker for you I'm sorry, but the NJPW thread does have a guide on how to buy the shows.

I will say that in the weeks leading upto the show that there will almost certainly be a high effort thread put up for the show with a bunch of details and history about the matches, so if the language issue is the one thing holding you back then check that out when it goes up to see if that can help sell you on it. I get the language barrier is a problem for some people (which is why English commentary is a good thing) but I'm being sincere when I say that it's really not as much of an issue as you expect it might be in following the show. As ever though your mileage may vary.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Well that makes it sound terrible.

Why?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just my 2 cents, but I would say that some people like to have a bit of a story associated with their wrestling matches. Not saying that is the "correct" way to enjoy wrestling or anything, though. Some people like their wrestling to be presented as close to a legit competition as possible, while others like their wrestling with a bit of outside-the-ring drama to add something extra to the matches.

Yeah I completely get that and understand where you're coming from. What I would say is that when people are saying most of the storylines come from in the ring, they're not saying that plotlines don't exist or that there isn't drama from outside of the ring, it's just that the way the stories are told and the devices they use to tell them are different.

Like I think that English commentary is a good thing, and I hope you do give it a shot, but at the same time I do think there's a ton of misconceptions about what the NJPW product is really like and what are the problems with following it.

I think the easiest way to explain it is that the product is designed that you can follow it just by being a fan in the stands, that while things recorded outside of the ring and pretapes and backstage promo's do exist they just add to the product as opposed to detracting away from it if you don't understand them. There are faces and there are heels, and they do play their part, but I think the point the op was making was that what used to be the old heel stable has in the last year or so transitioned to being more face like, and in turn different workers will play different roles depending upon who they're facing.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

yea ok posted:

Please ignore most of the stuff HDH says about story and commentary and all of that poo poo. If you're new to NJPW and will be checking out WK9 for whatever reason, do whatever you want and hopefully you enjoy it because it's my favorite crap around today. #JoinTheForce

I support this message.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

Someone tell me why it's harder to understand that Okada and Tanahasi are intense rivals who want to be the top guy for a company or that Shibata/Goto formed a mutual respect and friendship by borderline murdering each other are harder to understand than why Kevin Nash texted himself to stick the winner of a CM Punk match. Thanks

If you have issues figuring out why people are wrestling in NJPW without commentary you are literally the lowest common denominator of fans the WWE think they're trying to pander to. You're the 6 year old child demographic.

It turns out calling people idiots ends up making them less likely to try new things.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Seriously NJPW is the best, and no one really cares how you watch it or what commentary you listen to. It'll probably be the best show of the year, and if the language barrier or timing have been things that have held you back GFW have come through for you.

Please enjoy good wrestling.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I love the NWA because they are so pro-USA but that makes them heels in Japan. I miss Rob Conway coming out in his US flag gear.

Good news, Conway and Dane are tagging up in the tag world gp so theres going to be a ton of opportunities to see Conway rocking the US Flag look.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Because on a fundamental level, I find watching wrestling to be an enjoyable endeavor when it makes me have an emotional reaction. There are many possible ways for this to happen. I'd guess at least 80% of them are lost immediately or at least hindered when I can't understand the promos / interviews / commentary.

There have been a number of comments that NJPW is more like UFC, and in most UFC fights I don't give a poo poo about either fighter or who wins. If something amazing and unexpected happens in the fight, maybe I will become engaged, but it's far from every match, and with the brand dilution I barely watch MMA anymore.

NJPW being a work not a shoot has an extra hurdle to cross. Because at this point as a wrestling fan I'm so worn out by spot monkeys barely selling the sort of moves that used to be called "high risk" that if I never see a plancha ever again I'll just be grateful. Neat spots don't make me have an emotional reaction. So I don't know what could make me be engaged. In fact a buddy of mine that watches NJPW shot me a link to watch an AJ Styles match that he really liked at G1 Climax as an example and it did nothing for me.

So when I'm told that 90% of the story comes from what is done in the ring, that means I'm expecting that only 10% of the story has to carry making me care, and that 10% is the part that is in a language I don't understand. And the face/heel divide is a tremendously convenient shorthand in terms having people to root for and care about and other people to boo and want to see get their comeuppance, and a shorthand that transcends language. It's one more thing that could help my give-a-poo poo get past the language barrier as a wrestling fan, so how can I celebrate it's absence?

Fair enough.

I mean NJPW is nothing like UFC, and the point made about the blurring of face and heel divides is more that the big heel stable is now more face like. It's still professional wrestling and if you can follow a live show then you can follow the product. Yes the stories get told in the ring, but that doesn't change that stories are told, and that in turn stories are told in packages and hype videos and promos. I'm honestly not trying to tell you how to watch the show, just that most of your concerns aren't something that I think really applies to the product and are just misconceptions about the product.

It still has good guys and bad guys, and its pretty obvious which is which.

Seriously the show is going to have English commentary, so if there was ever a show to check out to be sure whether or not the product is for you it's this one.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Does Jarrett even have a match on the card any more with Yoshi's injury? If not I could see him saving a few bucks by doing colour.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Without naming names, I know that Jarrett was trying to get a booking with a UK promotion at the end of last year where one of his conditions was that he wanted the show to have a GFW logo on the promotional materials.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Far be it for me to question the promoting skills of Jeff Jarrett, but if you wanted to get maybe more than 3 people in the crowd for something you might have announced that Chael would be there ahead of time.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Lance Archer hasn't made any secret of the fact he would never go back.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Nash pretty much said that while DDP was doing some good he thought it was the constant supervision and safe space that was making more of a difference than the yoga.

He's probably right, but thats a lot less marketable.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

duyarvish posted:

Did Magnus actually join the force or is it all just one of Dixies angles to work is dorks

Magnus has in fact joined the force, and in fact does not like TNA very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

The regular talent you would see on a show without GFW and Jarrett cutting a ten minute promo about how he's scouring the world for talent and he's seen some great guys here in [insert local town name] and you fans are the real life blood of wrestling.

• Locked thread