Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you #JoinTheForce?
I already have
I want to I just don't know how
Only if they sign Sid
#JoinTheForce
View Results

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They thought that TNA naming a PPV after an archaic Sega console was a good idea, so they went all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jeff Jarrett on #theForce (spoiler: no one is currently part of #TheForce)

"The LAW via the Observer site posted:

At the very end, I knew it was time to move on [from TNA]. I’m very grateful and thankful. The TNA fanbase over the years - very loyal and passionate. I can’t say enough about my TNA years, but I knew in 2014 it was time for something new. With Global Force, the vision I have for it is - you know, people love professional wrestling. Some people call it a “dirty word,” some people call it sports entertainment. It’s all one and the same. I believe in 2014 professional wrestling, it’s time to evolve. As the weeks and months get there, I’m gonna be very excited to share that vision. At this time, I’m keeping it very close to the vest. The journey videos that we’re posting on GlobalForceWrestling.com and all through social media, I want to literally immerse the fanbase from day one. Yes, I’ve talked to a lot of wrestlers but there’s not one wrestler signed yet. We’re really close on making some talent announcements, but we’re in negotiations on every level. With the way technology is today - can I share everything? I don’t think that’d be very smart or prudent business, but I can share as much as I can for the wrestling press, as well as the Hollywood Reporters of the world and Variety. I’ve had people reach out to me in New York and LA that are in the television business, but they’re mesmerized with the amount of information that we are sharing, bringing the fans along literally step by step in this journey, because they’re a part of the journey.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/118-daily-updates/37244-jeff-jarrett-talks-leaving-tna-and-his-maintaining-ownership

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

Jeff Jartett

Uh, the proper term is 'developmentally delayed'.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

From a new interview with John Morrison:

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/89050/john-morrsion-talks-about-working-with-eric-bischoff-joey-mercurys-new-career-and-more.html?p=1

So the first US taping is 12/6 in Florida?

I wonder if Universal Studios has Joined The Force

You're misreading. He's saying he's wrestling Jeff Jarrett (somewhere, presumably an indy) on Dec 6 and will probably talk about GFW at that event. He's talked to TNA as well but doesn't want to relocate to Florida to work for them. I guess he thinks TNA is still in the Impact Zone.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I guess cutting out any ROH talent would make it easier for him to shoehorn Wrestle Kingdom into the 4-hour timeslot he has on PPV....

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

So what was Jeff Jarrett's big announcement? The NJPW thing? The Observer said there'd be an announcement at 10am but not the time zone or anything.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

The 10AM is from Jarrett's twitter, and based on his other tweets he meant Central Time Zone, so the announcement should happen in about 10 minutes.

Cool, thanks. I hope it's that he's signed CM Punk and GFW's first show is at the Superdome.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I guess this isn't an issue with the live stream but will the replay have the entrance music intact?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Someone tell me why it's harder to understand that Okada and Tanahasi are intense rivals who want to be the top guy for a company or that Shibata/Goto formed a mutual respect and friendship by borderline murdering each other are harder to understand than why Kevin Nash texted himself to stick the winner of a CM Punk match. Thanks

Okay now do Nakamura

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

UFC is probably more like NJPW than NJPW is to WWE. WWE is focused on story-telling, while NJPW and UFC are focused on the fights and the rivalries, and those two alone can carry a show. People are no doubt buying Wrestle Kingdom just for how hot the Tanahashi/Okada rivalry has gotten alone.

I've watched UFC with first-timers a lot and it's incomprehensible to them when it comes to ground game. "Why aren't they doing anything" is a common complaint (and you see this at their live shows with people chanting 'boring' at times as well) which is where the commentary can help explain what's actually happening.

In all likelihood, a new viewer to NJPW is going to see moves and psychology that they're not used to with a North American product, especially if they only watch WWE and TNA. If this first show doesn't hook them, how likely would they be to order another? You say yourself that it took you a couple shows to get the vibe of the promotion.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Is anyone arguing that english commentary is a bad thing? I'm having a hard time getting a read on what exactly we are debating anymore.

I think the general opinion is that english commentary can be helpful to new viewers, but people shouldn't be spooked of the Japanese shows because it's a different style of product that doesn't need that much explanation. So go with the english commentary if that's what will get your foot in the door, but don't be afraid to check out some of NJPWs other offerings too.

I think that's what sparked the debate - HDH saying that you shouldn't watch NJPW with english commentary and instead watch it ~*the way it was meant to be*~ but who knows anymore.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

Who's going to be the network to put them on Monday nights

You know it's coming

Destination America, in between repeat airings of Bill Dance's Haunted Amish Pawn Shop and Invisible Ghost Monsters of the Alamo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

e: never mind, thought it was supposed to be yesterday

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WadeBartender posted:

so how much talent is Jarrett gonna sign from the losers of the upcoming tough enough?

All of them. Lucha Underground is currently making pretty good use of the losers from the last one.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The TNAMecca people are pretty sad they got Thea Trinidad, Gabriel and KES for what it's worth. I don't know if either of those acts was ever a realistic possiblity for TNA but they seem to think so.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Moose doesn't want to wrestle in some stuffy college arena, he wants to do his thang in a real [baseball] stadium in front of tens of fans!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

Maybe it's some other shamelessly fat Schlub.

Nah that's Brodus all right

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hopefully they never come close to this company or any others

Uh TNA just hired them as producers.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BGrifter posted:

They can't possibly be dumb enough to try and have Scott Hall wrestle for them in the shape he's in...

...can they? :ohdear:

Scott Hall did a frightening back bump at Wrestlemania, he's ready to do 20 minutes with Brodus, and it's all thanks to DDP Yoga. And if you call now, and use the offer code HEYYO you can get a 20% discount on the Max Pack.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jet fuel can't melt wood beams.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Did Jake relapse too?

I believe he's been sober but I think he was either injured or had surgery recently because he was retweeting a lot of fans wishing him good luck the other day.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

At last we have an answer to the question "who will Jeff Jarrett sign for Global Force Wrestling?"

Contrast that with the answer he gave about TNA's hall of fame. Here he makes sure to say that he'll still appear eventually despite his schedule. TNA? Not so much.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Didn't Dave say they were taping 13 weeks of television from this weekend? That card doesn't seem like enough to tape that many shows.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

It's fun to rip on GFW but am I the only one who thinks that Double J actually seems like a cool guy? Besides starting terrible wrestling promotions you never really hear too much bad about him, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

He's the only wrestler to ever be in a Harmony Korine movie so he wins with me, but that rapidly changes when I have to see him onscreen for more than like 2 weeks.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I wish GFW would come to Toronto so I could buy a Slap Nuts shirt directly from a drunk Jeff Jarrett

While Don West barks at you to buy three more to give away as gifts. Run it at BMO Field during the Ex so you can huck Tiny Tom donuts at Jim Duggan.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

I want Don West to try to sell one of those Jarrett guitars.

I have great news!. Check out these incredible bargains, and there's no way in the world that Don West didn't write that description.

My only quibble is that the guitar in Jeff's hand on the engraving doesn't, itself, have a smaller guitar engraved on it.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 19, 2015

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

GFW's TV show is called AMPED, because Jeff Jarrett is a stoner from the 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf8faMrfn78

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

You mean the TV show that doesn't have a network yet?

That's the one!

I like the shot of one of the Bucks doing a superkick in a completely empty stadium, possibly from third base (0:53).

Come to think of it, almost all the in-ring stuff has empty seats as a backdrop. Big tings.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

I agree, wrestling needs more fat guys with awful beards.

Pretty sure you could go to any bear bar or prison on the continent and find a guy like this who'd be quite enthusiastic about loving your rear end

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thauros posted:

It's nice to see that Jeff learned his lessons from TNA and things are going to be TOTALLY different this time.

The weekly PPV model will work so much better now, thanks to the FLIPPS app! That was totally the problem before, no app.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

We used to watch Hip Show all the time in PSP. gently caress GFW do Hip Show during baseball games and just fuckin roll around the bases

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

In the storied history of pro wrestling, only ONE individual has ever taken a wrestling company completely from scratch and turned it into a global entity. That man? Jeff Jarrett. You can run through the power-player last names of our industry, past and present. McMahon. Crockett. Turner. Bischoff. Heyman. All of them have daunting resumes. None of them has done what Jeff Jarrett has. Now, Jarrett, who turned the impossible into the improbable and succeeded where no one else could, is doing it again. There will always be critics. There will always be skeptics. But it is easier to try than to prove it can’t be done.

There is not an imaginary jacking off motion big enough for this graf right here

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

Its true tho. None of those guys ever stole an employee's wife. Bischoff borrowed a few, tho.

It sounds like such a big accomplishment until you realize the global entity he's talking about is the wrestling version of Sideshow Bob continually stepping on rakes.

e: GFW is going to the UK for some reason

quote:

Global Force Wrestling announces first UK dates, matches will include Nick Aldis, Doug Williams

For Immediate Release
July 20, 2015

NASHVILLE – Global Force Wrestling is following up its #GFWGrandSlamTour and its TV tapings at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas with its first events outside of the United States, in October in the United Kingdom.

GFW invades the Grimsby Auditorium in Grimbsy, Lincolnshire, on Oct. 28 and the Lynnsport and Leisure Park in King's Lynn, Norfolk, on Oct. 30. Promotion co-founders Jeff and Karen Jarrett will appear, as will former heavyweight champion Nick Aldis, legendary women's champion Mickie James, British wrestling star Doug Williams and host of WrestleTalk TV Marty Scurll.

"I'm thrilled to be heading to the UK to share the GFW brand with the incredible fans across the pond," Jeff Jarrett said. "Since day one no fan base has inundated us with more requests to bring a show to them than those in the United Kingdom.

"What's unique about this is we wanted to bring high-caliber shows to towns that haven't previously had access to them, with most touring companies staying exclusively in major cities like London, Manchester and Glasgow. We decided to give new towns an opportunity to experience a great live wrestling event."

Aldis, who recently made a successful debut in GFW, is from King's Lynn.

"I'm excited and proud to be part of GFW's first UK shows," said Aldis. "It will be great to finally appear on a major show in my hometown. I hope the fans feel as excited as I do."

quote:

"What's unique about this is we wanted to bring high-caliber shows to towns that haven't previously had access to them, with most touring companies staying exclusively in major cities like London, Manchester and Glasgow. We decided to give new towns an opportunity to experience a great live wrestling event."
"We can't fill an arena"

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 20, 2015

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They only mention those two towns. I don't know if a Scotland date or any others are in the plans, but with this company who knows. What's a comparable-sized town in Scotland? The two towns they mention sound like made-up Game of Thrones set pieces to me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Double J ineptly dances around the question about if they have a TV deal:

quote:

Global Force Wrestling's Jeff Jarrett recently spoke with Donald Wood and the rest of the Ring Rust Radio crew. Courtesy of The Deco Elbow Drop, they sent us these highlights:

Donald Wood: The biggest news from Global Force Wrestling recently has been the announcement that the television program will be called Amped. The first taping will be Friday, July 24 at the Orleans Arena. Can you give us any more information on how many episodes you will be taping and what channel, dates and times will wrestling fans be able to watch the finished product?

You're digging for the good stuff and I appreciate that. We just named it Amped, and we are in the discussion of how many episodes so I can't tell you how many right now. We are going to be shooting on content next Friday, then August 21st, and October 23rd. One thing is for sure, we are starting four tournaments starting next Friday: The Global Championship, the Tag-Team Championship, the Women's Championship, and the Nex-Gen Championship. We do have Bobby Rude appearing and in my opinion he personifies what GFW in some shape, form, or fashion is all about. He is a wrestler under a contract for another promotion who will be appearing on our program. The number of episodes is a moving target at this point. We are going to go shoot the tournament then we get back who knows? It could be ten episodes, twelve, fourteen, who knows? It's a work in progress. When you are trying to line up domestic and international, it's a real challenge to try and please everybody. We are going to do our very best to expose the product to as many wrestling fans as we can.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/103-indies/43675-jeff-jarrett-talks-gfws-first-tv-taping-and-plans

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There's always more and it's always worse.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Not really, it's Las Vegas. If you give away a shitload of tickets there are masses of people to give em to.

You might've said the same about TNAs New York shows but they didn't do very well. And they had hot talent like Snitsky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Apparently she wrestled the next day in Buffalo, according to PWInsider.

• Locked thread