Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Your opponent in this one didn't seem to know how to unload his troops so I don't think this is a very fair test of your tactics ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Enjoy posted:

Your opponent in this one didn't seem to know how to unload his troops so I don't think this is a very fair test of your tactics ;)

lol I was doing this for my first 3 games. I thought the game was rear end cause nothing was happening and I was dying like a scrub against easy AI. Then I realised you could actually unload troops, and now I love this game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The bane of my existence is the ARVE.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

fuf posted:

I tried this a few times but my tanks got killed super early by the dumb firefly, I hate that thing :(

Don't start a fair fight with the butterfly, the M8' primary job is to find it ASAP and if possible, run away. Then position your tanks behind some cover, ideally to catch the butterfly in a two-sided ambush that lets you take it out. Alternatively, wait for it to come out so you can attack it once it gets into range and don't have to cross the 200m danger zone, softening it up with an airstrike first, your 2-3 vehicles with cannons and the M5A1 cmd leadership will out-morale him and let you push him back or bum-rush him for the kill.

If he's playing smart though, just push him in a way that minimizes his butterfly and still lets you do what you want. Eg, kick his infantry out of a town you're fighting over and then dig in.

literally this big posted:

I have a feeling that you're going to start missing the 57mm ATGs as soon as pubbies start learning how to actually play.

ATG's are great and very useful, but in the opener I like to be more mobile. They make for a good call-in later in the phase when the enemy gets a bit more risky with their equipment.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Does anyone have any videos of the game being played by someone who's not frustrating. I'm trying to decide on it, but most stuff I've found on Youtube has been people DSPing because they're treating it like other RTS games. Watched one guy literally placing rally points on top of enemy units and REEEEEing when they'd get destroyed 2 minutes later.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey how do you push infantry out of towns in phase A? Men in houses are super resilient again.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey how do you push infantry out of towns in phase A? Men in houses are super resilient again.

Mortars and flamethrowers? If it's a building on the outskirts of the town you could also bring up transport vehicles with machineguns because they tend to have better range than infantry

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I guess this is the Steel Division thread now. Is it any good?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Arglebargle III posted:

Any machine gun armed vehicle will do because they massively outrange even the best infantry-carried AT. Mortars also work, so do rocket/bomb planes or the old Wargame classic of "shoot house with tank". What you absolutely shouldn't do is charge the house with infantry or vehicles - infantry in the open is incredibly fragile and all the ultra-short-range infantry carried AT doesn't care how good your armor is.

If absolutely need them out of the house as fast as possible, then the support tab high-HE direct fire vehicles will do it quickest.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Drop an artillery barrage from an OP vehicle onto the town, then rush the city with motorized/mechanized troops and make them surrender

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Does anyone have any videos of the game being played by someone who's not frustrating. I'm trying to decide on it, but most stuff I've found on Youtube has been people DSPing because they're treating it like other RTS games. Watched one guy literally placing rally points on top of enemy units and REEEEEing when they'd get destroyed 2 minutes later.

On YouTube look for a guy named Raptor. He used to stream a ton of EE and ALB. He's still picking the game back up after a few years off and his patter is annoying but he's generally competent.

Though he is drawing matches out at the moment to show off the equipment more than trying to win.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Plan Z posted:

Link?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

Drop an artillery barrage from an OP vehicle onto the town, then rush the city with motorized/mechanized troops and make them surrender

This is a good answer too. I just did this against a few hedgerows worth of defenses as the 3rd Armored. This was after being on the receiving end of some enemy heavy arty and I saw how all of my stuff was panicked, but not dead. Decided to give him some back with interest. You probably need two OP's to get sufficient arty coverage to make a push. You can also often immediately follow up with arty on their fallback position to keep them off-balance and maintain your own momentum.

This game... is good.

Edit: I've just twigged to the fact that the Butterfly has only AP and no HE, and is thus really vulnerable to AT guns, hm.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 8, 2017

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Lmao just had a game where a handful of Fallschirmjaeger squads knocked out more than a dozen tanks in a city. Dude kept sending stuarts, churchills and Shermans in there like it was motherfucking Grozny.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

HannibalBarca posted:

if you break it will trigger a chain rout and I'll have to buy it too, so not one step backwards drat you

Sorry man, the lifelong battle between exercising restraint and instant gratification has ended in another crushing victory for instant gratification.

It's downloading now.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Oh man this is such a great iteration on Wargame and I love how punchy the gun sounds and tracers are. I'm less familiar with the ww2 units so some of these things are a little confusing (I thought the ju88 was supposed to be an anti-tank plane?) but it's great. Bravo

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Oh man this is such a great iteration on Wargame and I love how punchy the gun sounds and tracers are. I'm less familiar with the ww2 units so some of these things are a little confusing (I thought the ju88 was supposed to be an anti-tank plane?) but it's great. Bravo

The Ju88 was the Mosquito of the Luftwaffe. They had variants for numerous roles.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I think my favourite thing about Steel Division is the pace of things. It's deliberate and gives you plenty of time to identify and react to what's going on, but your reaction is necessarily slow-paced too. As someone who loved the infantry-dominance era of Airland Battle I'm glad to see that infantry are so much more viable as the core of an army in this, too.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I have this game now, how do I play with goons?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

Sorry man, the lifelong battle between exercising restraint and instant gratification has ended in another crushing victory for instant gratification.

It's downloading now.

Failure cascade setting in, dumb steam didn't remember my CC order and I had to go all the way downstairs for my wallet.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

The Ju88 was the Mosquito of the Luftwaffe. They had variants for numerous roles.

Yea, the ju88 variant the current divisions are using is a classic medium bomber. The Hs129 is your tank-buster, and one you really need to lean on as the luflande.

Pegasus division from the last beta had stukas in both the dive bomber and anti-tank-gun config.
I actually really like the aircraft balance now - powerful, but long reload times and high costs.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 8, 2017

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Unfortunately, I have to go out tonight, and drink beer with my friends, because one was SELFISH enough for today to be his Birthday. So I won't get a chance to play it till tommorow.

Rest assured I will spend the whole evening wishing I was hunched over a keyboard refighting Operation Goodwood. :argh:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 8, 2017

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Pegasus division from the last beta had stukas in both the dive bomber and anti-tank-gun config.

Tank busting Stukas would be awesome.

I've actually read Stuka Pilot, which leaving aside there's probably a fair bit of exaggeration on the claims, and Rudels dickhead unrepentant Nazidom is still about the most :stonklol: thing I've ever read. I think he only fought on the Ostfront in the wars later years though.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Guy's name was Diplex or Duplex or something.

I did find some good channels eventually. I do like how the game emphasizes forcing retreats and continuing pursuit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Add me on Steam I'm Arglebargle III. The friends menu makes it hard to add people in game.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

Tank busting Stukas would be awesome.

I've actually read Stuka Pilot, which leaving aside there's probably a fair bit of exaggeration on the claims, and Rudels dickhead unrepentant Nazidom is still about the most :stonklol: thing I've ever read. I think he only fought on the Ostfront in the wars later years though.

After war analysis confirms only about 4% of kills against tanks reported by ground attack pilots. I mean, Rudel counts over 500 tanks but even 4% of that (20) would be pretty impressive. The amount of experience he had, I wouldn't be surprised if he beat the 4% average but I doubt if he beat it by a lot.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Deptfordx posted:

It's downloading now.

why did you have to tag me!? :black101:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Brother Pedro and I pulled off a decent double envelopment of a town as 3rd Armored today and got a win at 10:02. Game is good.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Brother Pedro and I pulled off a decent double envelopment of a town as 3rd Armored today and got a win at 10:02. Game is good.

The 3v4 that we crashed out of was even better. The pocket was massive, I think we managed to trap and force surrender a whole intact army in there.

edit: I uploaded the replay of the game Arglebargle was talking about.
http://files.sd-replays.net/replayfiles/2519106269260894949-11229454-25a9-4d9b-ada7-a5c80c4538e7.zip

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 8, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If anyone wants to play later tonight add me on steam as eldictatoro. I'm real bad at this game but it's a lot of fun and I'd like people to play with beside random pubbies.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Loving this game so far. As much as I loved the Wargame series, I got burned out because it felt like it was a constant game of managing ATGM and SEAD combined with what felt like an overwhelming number of unit types (not a bad thing but it could be aggravating) made it a chore to play sometimes. This is far more accessible for me.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Popete posted:

If anyone wants to play later tonight add me on steam as eldictatoro. I'm real bad at this game but it's a lot of fun and I'd like people to play with beside random pubbies.

I tried to add you on steam, but it said no user exists with that name.

I also added Argleblargle III

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Reposting the steam group btw

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SD44Goons

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pedro0930 posted:

The 3v4 that we crashed out of was even better. The pocket was massive, I think we managed to trap and force surrender a whole intact army in there.

edit: I uploaded the replay of the game Arglebargle was talking about.
http://files.sd-replays.net/replayfiles/2519106269260894949-11229454-25a9-4d9b-ada7-a5c80c4538e7.zip

I'm pretty sure the host dropped and it migrated hosts to me, and all but one player crashed out.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Yeah, so not a big fan of the planes. They are way too durable and plentiful. I had 5 AA guns and they couldn't even down one plane.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
AA isn't for taking down planes, it's for forcing them to back off. You really need a dogfighter to reliably take down enemy aircraft, but an AA piece or two can effective cover your bombers as they evacuate from a bombing run. The real problem comes in when your idiot pubbie allies think that AA is optional, giving enemy fighters free reign over 75% of the map.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Brownie posted:

I tried to add you on steam, but it said no user exists with that name.

I also added Argleblargle III

Oh huh, here is my page.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197977533136

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Xerxes lied OP died

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
borrowed this from a friend's steam account. my first MP game went okay but I've been rolled twice in a row by the AI. does it get more points or something? they have infantry all over the map within minutes, and can swarm my stuff to death without me being able to push back anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Never before in history was so many owned by so few.

• Locked thread