Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

mds2 posted:

Ok, but what about the part of being a witness to a fellow officer violating someones rights. And your reaction to it.

My reaction is kinda like

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

I am threatened by non-violence

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I'm basically the main coke distributor for the US, all from confiscated coke. The next time you blow a sweet line, you're welcome.

Don't act like taking things from lockup is uncommon. Do you just sign a form saying you went in there, or do you sign for any evidence taken out as well? I wouldn't be surprised that if someone wanted to they would have a lot of leeway in taking things.

And I know shootings are rare, I'm just curious how many goons have been involved in them.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Ethan_Alan posted:

Don't act like taking things from lockup is uncommon. Do you just sign a form saying you went in there, or do you sign for any evidence taken out as well? I wouldn't be surprised that if someone wanted to they would have a lot of leeway in taking things.

And I know shootings are rare, I'm just curious how many goons have been involved in them.

It's a common thing on tv & movies for random employees to just stroll into evidence but that's not really possible in my experience. Our evidence room can only be accessed by 3 people, the sgt who operates the room, and his two immediate supervisors. While it's certainly possible for one of them to go in and take something, everything done in that room is recorded on security cameras.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Ethan_Alan posted:

Don't act like taking things from lockup is uncommon.

It's extremely rare.

I get fingerprinted and photographed anytime I remove anything from evidence. The only time I remove anything from evidence is at the request of the ADA to bring it to trial.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Ethan_Alan posted:

does shooting deer who got hit by a car count? Also for like 99.5% of us a fellow coworker violating someones rights isn't going to be some insidious thing where they smile at you evilly and then plant a bag of crack on a black person, it is usually something the court ends up deciding like oh you didn't have enough PC to stop that car.

Branis fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 18, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Branis posted:

does shooting deer who got hit by a car count?

Executed for resisting arrest...

What's your duty gun and how much do you shoot it?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Hey can you guys tell me why you can't just get a bunch of good cops together go to the union and get them to fire a bad one? You guys never answered me.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Ethan_Alan posted:

It's actually extremely rare and the one guy I know that did it lost his job and is being investigated by the FBI. Each of our stations have evidence lockers that only the supervisors have access to and there's a camera watching the door of it. The drugs get dumped into a safe through a mailbox-style slot and only the narcotics custodian has access to it, again with a camera. Those cameras feed directly into internal affairs.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Whip Slagcheek posted:

It's actually extremely rare and the one guy I know that did it lost his job and is being investigated by the FBI. Each of our stations have evidence lockers that only the supervisors have access to and there's a camera watching the door of it. The drugs get dumped into a safe through a mailbox-style slot and only the narcotics custodian has access to it, again with a camera. Those cameras feed directly into internal affairs.

Interesting. I take it drug-related evidence is kept separate from all the other evidence? Is evidence sorted by type or is it just thrown into a box with all the other evidence related to that case like we see in TV shows?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

drilldo squirt posted:

Hey can you guys tell me why you can't just get a bunch of good cops together go to the union and get them to fire a bad one? You guys never answered me.

because the union isn't going to go to the management to fire a guy who presumably has no disciplinary record and only has the word of other people to fire him from his job.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Branis posted:

because the union isn't going to go to the management to fire a guy who presumably has no disciplinary record and only has the word of other people to fire him from his job.

Then how are they bad cops, why don't you report the things they are doing that are dangerous?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
because there is a difference between a guy whos an rear end in a top hat and a guy who is a bad cop, an actual bad cop usually doesn't last long before they end up getting caught doing something horrible, an rear end in a top hat is the one who eventually flips out and beats up a minority on camera.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Interesting. I take it drug-related evidence is kept separate from all the other evidence? Is evidence sorted by type or is it just thrown into a box with all the other evidence related to that case like we see in TV shows?

Drugs and money are kept in their own safes. All other evidence gets sorted by whether it's evidence, found property, or just personal property that needs to be returned to someone that had been arrested. Every couple weeks the locker gets emptied and taken to a central storage facility. It's all maintained in a computer database that makes it very hard to make changes to things that get entered, to the point that the officers hate it because if they misspell something they have to email the property custodian with a bunch of info so they can update it themselves.

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

Branis posted:

because there is a difference between a guy whos an rear end in a top hat and a guy who is a bad cop, an actual bad cop usually doesn't last long before they end up getting caught doing something horrible, an rear end in a top hat is the one who eventually flips out and beats up a minority on camera.

Does this imply that you can be an rear end in a top hat and still be a good cop? Because whenever you hear about the guy who flips out and kills beats up a minority, they've usually been on the force for at least 5 years.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

It's actually extremely rare and the one guy I know that did it lost his job and is being investigated by the FBI.

It's rare, but you know at least one person who's done it. I'm sure other people here know someone who's done it as well. Although it is suprising (and a relief) to know that they keep drugs separate from other evidence. I'm assuming the same is for guns as well, yes?

Branis posted:

does shooting deer who got hit by a car count? Also for like 99.5% of us a fellow coworker violating someones rights isn't going to be some insidious thing where they smile at you evilly and then plant a bag of crack on a black person, it is usually something the court ends up deciding like oh you didn't have enough PC to stop that car.

No, shooting a deer doesn't count. Not exactly in the line of fire there, unless if you're the one who hit it. And violating a person's rights is hardly ever an insidious thing. Just like racism can be a passive action, so is violating my rights. So if the court decides that you didn't have enough PC to stop/search that car, the question is why did you stop it, and how can we prevent you from making that mistake again?

Do they do that? Do they stop and explain to an officer why he shouldn't have pulled over that car, or is it more of an offside comment? Like "You can't pull over a guy because snow is blocking his plates if it's snowing" as opposed to "What made you think you can pull over that car?"

Or worse, do cops pin the blame on the courts? "I was within the law of pulling him over, but the people just don't understand"

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

All of the measures I just talked about are in place BECAUSE of that one person. Also I only know of him through stories because he was fired several years before I got on.

Guns are a whole other topic. If they're recovered during the day they immediately get taken for test firing and forensic processing and then taken directly to the storage facility I was referring to. If they're recovered at night they're put into a temporary evidence locker under lock and key from the shift commander until morning where the daytime process is followed.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 18, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ethan_Alan posted:

Do they do that? Do they stop and explain to an officer why he shouldn't have pulled over that car, or is it more of an offside comment? Like "You can't pull over a guy because snow is blocking his plates if it's snowing" as opposed to "What made you think you can pull over that car?"

We don't even rehabilitate our prisoners what makes you think we'd try to teach cops what they did wrong?

Not trying to poo poo-post, making an observation.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

We don't even rehabilitate our prisoners what makes you think we'd try to teach cops what they did wrong?

Not trying to poo poo-post, making an observation.

If it's determined that PC wasn't there for a stop, it's almost always because the defense attorney found a way to get the case dropped, not because the officer truly didn't have PC. See: Basically any DUI case.

It's hilariously easy to get PC for a stop, I'm sure your state's vehicle code laws are hundreds of pages long.

Also, what can be considered PC in one jurisdiction might be a gray area in another. Court cases are notoriously vague and geographical in nature.

Ethan_Alan posted:

Or worse, do cops pin the blame on the courts? "I was within the law of pulling him over, but the people just don't understand"

This but seriously. That doesn't make it a bad thing, you can't take it personal when your DUI suspect gets aquitted even though he was stumbling around drunk and blew a .18.

Ethan_Alan posted:

In cases where a cop legitimately messed up and it's of a minor nature, they will be sent to refresher training courses. Anything more than a minor screwup then you're getting into discipline action.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 18, 2014

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I think an rear end in a top hat cop has the propensity to be good and to be bad. Theres a guy I work with who is a huge dick and sometimes treats people poorly when he is grumpy which is about 70% of the time, but he also is seriously the best cop when it comes to dealing with child victims, he is calm and compassionate and understanding when it comes to kids. And we might think a court decision is bullshit and disagree, but the court is the court and theres no arguing with that, whenever there is a new change in laws or court decisions our boss tries to keep us current, we've never had a case lost in such a way that our practices need to be changed since i've been here but I would imagine the same would happen.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Also the "rear end in a top hat" cops are generally the ones you want backing you up when have to fight someone.

VV - I mean if the fight breaks out before the rear end in a top hat shows up, who will inevitably make it worse.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 18, 2014

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Also the "rear end in a top hat" cops are generally the ones you want backing you up when have to fight someone.

Going to disagree with you on that one.

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

VV - I mean if the fight breaks out before the rear end in a top hat shows up, who will inevitably make it worse.

Yeah that is quite possibly the worst thing I've heard itt so far. Jesus. We defined "rear end in a top hat cop" as the guy who "flips out and beats minorities" and "sometimes treats people poorly when he is grumpy which is about 70% of the time". If your entire job description is to de-escalate violent situations, he'd be the last person who should be there.

Anyways...if the defense attorney convinced a judge/jury to drop the case, especially due to a PC clause then how can it be reasoned that the officer did have PC? This is something that I'm sure tons of officers take personally. The fact that three of you called getting a DUI case dropped as some bullshit only reinforces that belief.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
On a scale of 1-10, one being, "they were the coolest bros ever," and ten being, "I was in the process of pulling my AR out of my trunk and going to town on mother fuckers," how obnoxious were the occupy protesters where you were?

If you have any stories, please do share.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

USMC503 posted:

On a scale of 1-10, one being, "they were the coolest bros ever," and ten being, "I was in the process of pulling my AR out of my trunk and going to town on mother fuckers," how obnoxious were the occupy protesters where you were?

That was outside my jurisdiction but I went to check it out. Mostly just smelly homeless dudes camped out in a park :ms:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Have you ever hosed one of your fellow officers?

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

USMC503 posted:

I would've mowed them all down, but those loving lawyers got all their charges dropped. I was well within my rights to blast them. Stupid PC brigade fighting for justice and things like probable cause and human rights. They don't know what it's like, man.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

USMC503 posted:

They were okay. Our state patrol delt with them in the beginning. We cleared them out a couple times an that did... not go well. Eventually it just turned into a homeless camp which was sad but to be expected I guess. The funniest part about the whole thing is they had their own security, and would walk across the street to ask us to take care of people being drunk assholes in the camp.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Decrepus posted:

No.

... I have gone to a motel 6 to explore my feelings though

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Ethan_Alan posted:

I would've mowed them all down

Good thing you're not a cop

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Ethan_Alan posted:

Yeah that is quite possibly the worst thing I've heard itt so far. Jesus. We defined "rear end in a top hat cop" as the guy who "flips out and beats minorities" and "sometimes treats people poorly when he is grumpy which is about 70% of the time".

Those two definitions are vastly different and if you can't infer from context which one I meant then stop being obtuse for no reason but to stir up poo poo.

Ethan_Alan posted:

Anyways...if the defense attorney convinced a judge/jury to drop the case, especially due to a PC clause then how can it be reasoned that the officer did have PC?

You're dumb as poo poo dude. Charges get dropped, pled down, or nolle'd all the time you have no idea how the modern court systems work.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 18, 2014

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Decrepus posted:

:lol: that's been asked in like 6 different threads since yesterday.

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Those two definitions are vastly different and if you can't infer from context which one I meant then stop being obtuse for no reason but to stir up poo poo.

You're dumb as poo poo dude.

Hey, I agree with that Smiling Jack guy, who I'm assuming is also a cop. I'd much rather have a level-headed, clear thinking guy backing me in violent confrontation than someone who flies off the handle, in any context. Leave the rear end in a top hat poo poo at home, that's when people start dying.

And explain why that was a stupid assumption? Everything I deal with occurs on federal land, and I have probable cause to search if you're out there w/out a permit. There's little room for the legal wrangling like you guys need so I can imagine the frustration, but I think my point still stands. You argue you had PC, the judge decided you didn't. It's not stupid to think you guys take it personally, nor am I trying to stir poo poo by asking if you do.

f_c_
Oct 27, 2007

Can you get a speeding ticket for not following the yellow reduced speed signs on curves and on/exit ramps?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Grem posted:

I've never been subpoenad to do so, but if I was I'd tell the truth. You don't just qalk in to the middle of a trial and say "um, guys, I have something to say"...

It may or may not go over well, but it doesn't matter the reaction, you tell the truth because it's the right thing to do. I'm not going to lie to protect anyone.

So, barring insanely violent crimes like murders/rapes, you will never feel morally compelled to go out of your way to contact defendants/defense attorneys when you have 'concrete evidence' of wrongdoing by other officers in your force?

Im super interested in how proactive you all have been when you see wrongs committed by other officers in the force, rather than situations where you were going to be subpoenaed anyway.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

f_c_ posted:

Can you get a speeding ticket for not following the yellow reduced speed signs on curves and on/exit ramps?

The yellow signs aren't considered an absolute limit, it's more of a recommended speed. If you were to get into a crash in the ramp and it's determined you were going above it you might get a unreasonable speed citation, but yeah.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

How often are you told you have to go out and give people speeding tickets to make money for the town or whatever?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

tentative8e8op posted:

So, barring insanely violent crimes like murders/rapes, you will never feel morally compelled to go out of your way to contact defendants/defense attorneys when you have 'concrete evidence' of wrongdoing by other officers in your force?

Im super interested in how proactive you all have been when you see wrongs committed by other officers in the force, rather than situations where you were going to be subpoenaed anyway.

If I witnessed it it would be in writing. You're kidding yourself if you think a defense attorney isn't going to get that on their own. A phone call to the attorney will result in "yea, we have your report, thanks".

E: to put you at a little ease, I don't work in a world where I know every cop personally and have first hand knowledge of all misconduct.

Grem fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 18, 2014

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

anime gently caress pillow posted:

How often are you told you have to go out and give people speeding tickets to make money for the town or whatever?

Never :shrug:

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

Grem posted:

If I witnessed it it would be in writing. You're kidding yourself if you think a defense attorney isn't going to get that on their own. A phone call to the attorney will result in "yea, we have your report, thanks".

Honestly the best answer would be to make it public, or go to the feds. Just because they have your report doesn't mean they'll read it, or even share it. I'm sure most low-level corruption stuff is never made public and just cleaned up in house.

Unless of course, you're Adrian Schoolcraft.

Ethan_Alan fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 18, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
What kind of PC do you need to stop someone and demand ID from them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

ded posted:

What kind of PC do you need to stop someone and demand ID from them?

If you're smiling jack you just need them to be brown

• Locked thread