Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Thirdeye posted:

edit: I have no idea what I'm even watching right now with the awkward dancing/crowd shots

I can't wait to make a gif of the host trying to get the crowd to dance and having some giant fat guy just stand there next to her like a deer in the headlights.

Oh god, now they're playing Breakdown.

- edit Prince is on! Starting out with pretzelbodylogic.

Now some rapper guy (not Tony M) is rapping on a new song.

That's it? Wow. At least they didn't drag it out until 1-2 in the morning like I was expecting.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirdeye
May 2, 2006

Agaetis byrjun
I was actually hoping that was it because of the dead silence from the crowd when they started slowly realizing that it was maybe only those two songs.

edit: :lol: only one more song

Thirdeye fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 1, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I finally got around to listening to some of the new albums and wow... theyre both really good. I think I like Art Official Age slightly more though.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I can attest that the Platinum Electric songs hold up very well live.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
I'm a little late to the party, but Prince has been making his case throughout my narrow-minded younger years (you know, before you appreciate Steely Dan or something). First the Super Bowl halftime show way back when, then appearance on Late Night a year or two ago (Bambi, hello), the George Harrison RRHOF jam that you can find and watch for a week before it gets taken down, and now I'm totally hooked. Technically impressive, excellent showman, multi-instrumentalist, huge range of styles. Basically that is batting 1000 for a guitar-nerd that more recently has started to branch out.

What he does better than almost anyone playing guitar is execute exaggerated gesticulation and still manage to play the guitar. Half of the time when I would make a big dramatic sweep with my hand to pick a note I would miss entirely and have been better off just being boring. Not Prince, I love watching him play guitar.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
drat Pitchfork panned both albums. Still listening to art rock a lot. I have kind of soured on the 3rdeye stuff, though. It isnt that great.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does anyone still give a poo poo what Pitchfork thinks? I've had both albums on non-stop for a week, which is more than I can say for anything else I've heard in the last few years.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Does anyone still give a poo poo what Pitchfork thinks? I've had both albums on non-stop for a week, which is more than I can say for anything else I've heard in the last few years.

I hope not. Only brought it up here because i was shocked at how low they scored - 6 and 3.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Sales numbers are out.

Art Offical Age - 51,000 copies sold, #5 overall, #1 R&B
PLECTRUMELECTRUM - 28,000 copies sold, #8 overall, #1 Rock

And DrFunkenberry said that they're going to announce tour info soon. Hopefully this is going to be a big nationwide thing and not a scattershot of big city dates.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Is there a tracklist available for the remastered Purple Rain?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Not the announcement I was hoping for (DC DATES! :argh: ) but it was announced today that on November First, Prince is going to be the musical guest on SNL with Chris Rock hosting.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Is there a tracklist available for the remastered Purple Rain?

AFAIK, nothing's been said other than 'it's being re-released'. :(

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Creature posted:

Well, there was one thing said about it...

AP interview with Prince posted:

He's working on a re-release of the epic "Purple Rain" album for its 30th anniversary, but when asked if he's excited about it, he flatly says no.

:(

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

Not the announcement I was hoping for (DC DATES! :argh: ) but it was announced today that on November First, Prince is going to be the musical guest on SNL with Chris Rock hosting.

Wait did new US dates get announced? Quick Google search turned up some earlier dates from this year that were mostly international but that's it

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Call Me Charlie posted:

Well, there was one thing said about it...

:(

I loving love that grouchy fucker. :)

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

thathonkey posted:

Wait did new US dates get announced? Quick Google search turned up some earlier dates from this year that were mostly international but that's it

No, sorry. His Twitter said "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT 2 MORROW" Which a lot thought meant a tour announcement. The next tour is rumored to be an actual tour and not just a few dates in random places he feels like. Then the announcement turned out to be only SNL.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Creature posted:

From OP:

For Prince fans worldwide, the new partnership will open a veritable gold mine. The surprise announcement comes just in time for this summer's 30th Anniversary celebrations of the artist's breakthrough album and film, Purple Rain, which were released in 1984. For the first time, Prince will be releasing a digitally re-mastered, deluxe version of this classic album.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It's worth mentioning that the all three nights of Montreux 2013 were released by the Free Boot Generation in soundboard quality. And there's a good chance that video is also on the way from the same people who released 2009.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 29, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Flesh leaked out in full.

Prince Vault posted:

The Flesh is an unreleased album by The Flesh (essentially made up of Prince and Eric Leeds, as a precursor to Madhouse, with other musicians on three of the four tracks), recorded in two sessions, on 26 December, 1985 and 5 January, 1986. The album was compiled on 22 January, 1986, but was abandoned when Under The Cherry Moon and other projects demanded Prince's full attention.
The tracks included were all jazz-funk instrumentals, and were mostly improvised during the sessions. Eric Leeds was featured prominently, and the plan was to not include mention of Prince's input when the album was planned for release (as was the case with the later Madhouse albums).

Recording process

A Couple Of Miles was recorded on 26 December, 1985.

Junk Music, Up From Below and Y'All Want Some More? were recorded on 5 January, 1986, during a seven-hour session that was known by bandmembers as the "Everybody's Jam" session (which also included Groove In C Minor, Slow Groove In G Major and Groove In G Flat Minor, which may have also been considered for the project).

It is likely that tracks from the so-called "Paisley Jam" session on 28 December, 1985, which was similarly-improvised and focused on instrumental jazz-funk, may have also been considered for the project; these tracks were Slaughterhouse, U Just Can't Stop, Run Amok, Mobile, Madrid, Breathless, High Calonic and 12 Keys.

None of the tracks from the album have been released, although 30 seconds of Junk Music can be heard in Under The Cherry Moon, in the scene where Christopher Tracy races against Mary Sharon on the horse race track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Flesh leaked out in full.

Prince and Eric Leeds collaborated to do "Clockin the Jizz", which is the best Prince Song. I can get behind this entirely.

• Locked thread