Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
You know what game I'd want to play?

Key to the kingdom. Now that'd be a great game to have on here. Folding board and all.

Also objects you can write on, for blank white card, pictionary, or Tabletop RPG games, and also save them afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I hope someone makes a Shadowfist module for it. Hell, images of all the cards are already online. :allears:

Though actually I imagine making decks could be a hassle.
Oh my god online Shadowfist would be amazing. Or Rage. Or Vampire: The Eternal Struggle.

This thing could be the MAME of forgotten CCGs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh my god online Shadowfist would be amazing. Or Rage. Or Vampire: The Eternal Struggle.

Well, when I pick it up, assuming card content is easy enough to make, I'll probably throw together the 6 pre-made decks from Combat in Kowloon and Back for Seconds.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

This is pretty much the only way I will ever get to play warhams so I'm a little excited about that prospect

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Rocketlex posted:

Forget your Mouse Traps, let's go all-in with this bad boy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVVMh0hr-Mc

(I had this. Yes, it owned.)

Holy poo poo, thanks for the memories! Also, I have played Moue Trap by the legit rules - it sucks :colbert:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like it so far. I sort of wish that the template they included for making new cards wasn't so lovely though. Is there an easy way to make a grid of the same dimensions that I can easily make into a layer in Photoshop without having big grey numbers over top?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It is my desperate nerd hope that somebody recreates Omega Virus. But I kind of doubt it :saddowns:

I see more likely hope for Grape Escape given the rear end in a top hat physics.

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

Section Z posted:

It is my desperate nerd hope that somebody recreates Omega Virus. But I kind of doubt it :saddowns:

In theory it wouldn't be terribly hard to recreate, you'd just need pushable buttons, a way to randomize item placement, and a timer to count down to the end of the game; barring that a GM keeping track of everything and berating the players over voicechat :v:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Chard posted:

This is pretty much the only way I will ever get to play warhams so I'm a little excited about that prospect

Vassal Engine already exists. There is no way on earth this is going to be any more suitable than that - could you imagine picking up 40 dice one at a time every time you do any attack?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, I don't see this as an improvement over Vassal in the slightest.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks for the memories! Also, I have played Moue Trap by the legit rules - it sucks :colbert:

I have, too, and I barely remember the rules. The way I recall, it's like any other board game where you collect cheese and race for the end, except at the end you all play russian roulette with the mouse trap to determine the winner which renders everything prior more or less meaningless.

EDIT: Goofy Golf Machine really was the game you'd always wanted Mouse Trap to be. It's just a game of watching cool stuff happen, with loss or victory basically an afterthought.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 20, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Section Z posted:

About ten years ago I bought a copy of that at the Gencon auction in the morning and had to walk around all day with that giant box. I must have been stopped a dozen times because of it.

MrBims posted:

Vassal Engine already exists. There is no way on earth this is going to be any more suitable than that - could you imagine picking up 40 dice one at a time every time you do any attack?

The thing about Vassal is that a lot of the games for it have interfaces clearly designed by programmers (I should know, I've done more than my share of programmer interfaces in the past). If Tabletop Simulator can provide a decent interface structure, or even just a natural one built around the same layout as playing a game around an actual table, then it could become something. I'm not seeing any sign of that yet, however.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was reading through the forums and it seems like they've already incorporated a lot of user requests. I feel like if they keep it up then the software can only get better. I'm just happy to have a cheap way to prototype games, to be honest.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Mordaedil posted:

I have no idea how much work will have to go into it to actually play a game of mahjong.
We will be half way there if someone can recreate auto shuffle and stacking function of an auto mahjong table. That or cheat it with programming magic after the tiles disappear into the table. Player should only need to pick/discard/move pieces from there on.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

a decent interface structure

Right now it just seems to be that surgeon simulation but with cards and dice. poo poo is unintuitive like gently caress.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Allen Wren posted:

Right now it just seems to be that surgeon simulation but with cards and dice.

Well I think it's obvious what needs to happen now.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gently caress, I'd play it.

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
This has so much potential. Some nerds are already making decks from MtG, and that's only scratching the surface of what this is capable of.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Played 2 hours in UNO and CAH, had the absolute time of my life. I cannot wait till there is a full Yu-Gi-Oh, custom game with the game mat and everything

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

MrBims posted:

Hey, I didn't know about this! Looks cool, is there a thread somewhere?

Section Z posted:

Played the hell out of this as a kid then forgot about it. So many games to be (re)made.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chard posted:

Hey, I didn't know about this! Looks cool, is there a thread somewhere?

Nope. As far as I know, there's not, like, a Vassal "community"; People use Vassal to play games that specifically interest them, so you'll see people in board game, TCG, and wargaming threads talk about Vassal but only as it relates to their game(s). I use it pretty often for board games, and modules range anywhere from "basically just a shell where you can move cards around and have to enforce your own rules" to "completely automated experience and basically works like an official online client". If you went to the board gaming thread in the traditional games subforum I'm sure people could answer any questions you had, or the wargaming thread or whatever.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

MrBims posted:

Make a tower of 40 dice and then smash it with the ceremonial Rolling Stick.

EDIT: Alternately, you could probably just spawn 40 dice above the table and let 'em fall.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, people seem to be putting out poo poo for this at a decent clip. So far some things worth mentioning I see on that nexus are:

Android Netrunner LCG Base Set
Game of Thrones LCG Base Set
King of Tokyo
Coup
Catan
Dominions Base set
Munchkin
A single Magic deck

People definitely latching onto card games as the easiest stuff to do, it seems.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I still have yet to see what this has over VASSAL, other than random shitheads flipping the table.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So, making a deck of cards is just a matter of having a properly sized image, right? Of individual cards?

So could you use an irfanview script or something to compile a bunch of appropriately sized cards into a single deck image? Like, you have a library of cards, and you drag the ones you want in your deck into a folder. Run the thing, bing bang boom an appropriately formatted deck for use with Tabletop Simulator?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Broken Loose posted:

I still have yet to see what this has over VASSAL, other than random shitheads flipping the table.

It is 3D, and has physics. That is literally the only thing it has over something like Vassal right now.

They will never implement rule enforcing, which is the only place left to go. That is a thing decade old board and card game systems haven't been able to do, because trying to implement rule systems that can encompass thousands of different games is just way out of scope for anyone who isn't a big studio.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Broken Loose posted:

Uh, if you want to use this for super serious game playing you're kind of missing the point of it, I feel. I mean, just looking at the video for it on Steam gives you a good idea of what you're actually supposed to do with it, mostly. Which is attempt playing for a turn or two, then start cheating like crazy or throwing pieces around, or stuff like that. At no point does it ever seem like anything but a silly physics-based real life tabletop gaming simulator. Vassal is good for serious play, but it doesn't let me cheat at Monopoly as the banker, or flip the board in Risk, or play Jenga online.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Actually, I'm pretty sure it is possibly to play this seriously without flipping the table every other turn so the host is forced to push the undo button.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I hope the whole thing won't get a takedown notice once someone scans in all the MtG cards or something.
Also this seems really cool for stuff you've wanted to play but can't be assed to go through all the hoops of playing boardgames.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nyaa posted:

We will be half way there if someone can recreate auto shuffle and stacking function of an auto mahjong table. That or cheat it with programming magic after the tiles disappear into the table. Player should only need to pick/discard/move pieces from there on.

That'd be half-way there, a problem I noticed was that you can't put the tiles on their sides, so it's either face-down so nobody can see them or face-up so everyone can.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Funso Banjo posted:

They will never implement rule enforcing, which is the only place left to go. That is a thing decade old board and card game systems haven't been able to do, because trying to implement rule systems that can encompass thousands of different games is just way out of scope for anyone who isn't a big studio.

What? I've played a shitload of custom ruleset games on OCTGN years ago. Magic the gathering all the way down to obscure board games my friend scanned and made rules for.

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
I played catan on this last night, I can confirm that it plays about as smoothly as one could hope for. Still waiting for some upgrades to the system and full-blown workshop integration though. Until then the most fun to be had involves marbles and playing skill games with your friends.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Evil Mastermind posted:

I miss the gently caress out of V:TES :(

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

adamantium|wang posted:

I miss the gently caress out of V:TES :(

Ah, the good old days of insanely brutal Tremere Zip-Gun decks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nyaa posted:

Pfft that table isn't half as fast as Hong Kong street players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzcmCvOM2KY

Kikka posted:

I hope the whole thing won't get a takedown notice once someone scans in all the MtG cards or something.
Also this seems really cool for stuff you've wanted to play but can't be assed to go through all the hoops of playing boardgames.

Someone already made a much better system for playing Magic Cards. It even enforces rules and has an AI; they have never been bothered with take down notices:

http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 20, 2014

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

This might be a dumb question, but where do I put the nexus files to load them into the game?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Pfft that table isn't half as fast as Hong Kong street players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzcmCvOM2KY

Well, the automatic table has two sets of tablets, so one just pops right up and is ready to play while the other set is being shuffled by the table.

The table they were playing with looks really cramped and uncomfortable.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Mordaedil posted:

That'd be half-way there, a problem I noticed was that you can't put the tiles on their sides, so it's either face-down so nobody can see them or face-up so everyone can.
Who would play mahjong sideway? :crossarms:

It shouldn't be that hard to implement Z-axis position function on a 3d game anyway.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

This might be a dumb question, but where do I put the nexus files to load them into the game?

Save files should go into Documents->My Games->Tabletop Simulator->Saves and renamed if necessary to meet the naming format of "TS_Save_#".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nyaa posted:

Who would play mahjong sideway? :crossarms:

It shouldn't be that hard to implement Z-axis position function on a 3d game anyway.

No, I mean, putting upright, so that the backside faces away and only you can see them. Was kinda weird that it wasn't already in the game, I assume the one they put in is meant for the solitaire version.

• Locked thread