Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I don't know why this thread doesn't get more love, this seems to be the game that keeps on giving, and the modding community is really knocking it out of the park. I've already downloaded pretty much every single one of my favourite games.

It's pretty simple, really, the majority of the posters who are seriously interested in sitting down and playing board games online would rather play on a website like BoardGameArena, or on an iPad app of their favorite game, or even VASSAL. A good amount of people would even rather play in the play-by-post forum than fiddle around with a clunky interface where you have to ALT-hover over cards to read them, and where one false move sends a stack of pieces flying, or where the card you're trying to play keeps falling back into your hand because you were one nanometer too close to the edge of the table.

I own Tabletop Simulator and have played a few games on it, but after the novelty wears off there's not much reason to use it over any of the alternatives. I don't fault the program itself for any of these things, playing games on it is certainly doable and perfectly serviceable, it just so happens that there are better alternatives unless not being able to gently caress around with physics, draw on the table, and play youtubes on a virtual tablet is a deal-breaker for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread