Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'd always play D&D on a dry-erase grid mat set on a table. We need a whiteboard table with markers (hex or rgb color selection with favorites) and various grid options, size, hex, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So does Fantasy Grounds, which I've used a ton. But neither of them have that physical tabletop feel I love about this slash rear end in a top hat physics.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I now have a reason to remember what little I knew in Blender.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Jamesman posted:

Someone let me know when I can use this to play HeroQuest. Then maybe it'll be worth my time.

Which one do you want?

It's worth your time now anyway, it has tons of fantastic games already made in the workshop and new ones popping up every day.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Three super cool updates have been made recently but I just lost my sizable effort post about why they're super cool! So here are just two link dumps to the change announcements! Because gently caress. God damnit.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/TabletopSimulator/announcements/detail/197348634829992304

http://steamcommunity.com/games/TabletopSimulator/announcements/detail/193971568706359503

http://steamcommunity.com/games/TabletopSimulator/announcements/detail/193972927504182813

A lot of neat quality-of-life improvements and UI things have been added. Cool stuff.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I wonder if companies will take notice and Fantasy Grounds this up by getting with the devs and adding in DLC module support and then releasing their own official and professional modules for the game. As much as I like playing half these games for free, I could see myself throwing $10 towards an official version. I've already done that with Ticket To Ride and had I not heard many problems about them would have with Catan and Small World.

Also, imagine features like snap-to boards with certain pieces snapping certain places and others not. Like trains v. cards in Ticket To Ride. Although that said I want various autonomy options so I can still choose what I do by hand. I'm a sperg for board games and half my fun is found in manually rolling/drawing/moving. King Of Tokyo wouldn't be half as fun if I couldn't smash my monster into theirs to take the city.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If these companies could be financially bothered to invest a little I'm sure they'd be willing to listen. Or I guess if lawyers got involved but I like to see this hobby as constructive and cooperative and also pretend GW doesn't exist. :v:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You can it'll just have no automatic numbers and you'll have to keep a character sheet in another program / irl.

Honestly Fantasy Grounds is still the way to go though with the virtual tablet we're fairly close.

Speaking of, I hosed around with those for the first time the other night. I had one open playing YouTube, one browsing a site, and one playing that ImNotXizzy version of Cards Against Humanity, all on a virtual tabletop, all running smoothly. It's pretty loving impressive.

e: Also you should check out some board games too. D&D is great but some board games are absolutely some of the most fun I've ever had and this will let you play them relatively flawlessly. It's not like Vassal and doesn't have automatic rule enforcement, but I sure as gently caress don't want that either.

For a while a clan I play with had weekly thing where we'd play card games and bet on poo poo while one of them did some streaming DJ poo poo and it was basically internet poker night. Real chill, real awesome.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 11, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
My group too was destroyed by growing up. drat YOOOOOU!!! :argh:

For a while we used Fantasy Grounds to play D&D but that died and our attempts to play the games we used to in college (King Of Tokyo, Pandemic, Scottland Yard, Robo Rally, etc.) with this hit Macbook technical issues and people just "Not feeling like it tonight." But for the few times I have used this plus a VOIP program it's basically like we're all together again.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
With the recent updates it's far better in regards to the issues you've mentioned. You can lock objects so they can still be picked up but not physically knocked and zooming in on a card is a middle-mouse click away, not that ALT was hard to hit anyway. The main problem with ALT is that if you don't set up the cards with it in mind they can display sideways or upside down on the zoom.

As for the hand issue, I believe that's still prevalent though they may have reduced the sensitivity/area for poo poo to jump into your hand.

That said, this has more charm than the other options and that goes a long way for me personally. I like moving physical pieces in an actual space and having to do other such things. VASSAL is too cold and sterile for anything but by-the-numbers playing in my tastes.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The fact that the tablet works as well as it does and syncs up is pretty loving awesome. I've actually been playing a SHITTON of this recently with an IRC group and occasionally my moved-away college buddies. There are so many games that are great for pickup games.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Pandemic. Co-op with no secrets.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They may be but it encourages discussion and it is a co-op game so I have literally never played it with hidden hands, even in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What a great time to bump the thread since the game is half off on Steam for the next week!

The controls have been markedly improved since the initial launch. I usually find myself using it to play games with either an internet group that occasionally likes playing board games or my friends from college who love board games but all moved away. I don't think it has or ever will have mass appeal, unfortunately. Maybe the VR aspect will bring more people in and alleviate some of the control issues people face. But then you have VR issues.

• Locked thread