Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Looks like if you pre-ordered a 2 or 4 pack, the other people in your pack don't get the Free DLC that was promised. A dev in a thread on the Steam forums claimed "I don't think we can give the DLC free to gift copies" so I have no idea if they are trying to backpedal on the original deal or what but it is pretty lovely that that is the only response they got to it so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's not mentioned in the patch notes, so I need to test it more, but it looks like they might have fixed the issue with your imports immediately getting exported again.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FractalSandwich posted:

It's not mentioned in the patch notes, so I need to test it more, but it looks like they might have fixed the issue with your imports immediately getting exported again.

Of course, sometimes in the Colonial era you can buy things from pirates for less than the export cost, at which point you want them to be exported immediately through legitimate channels.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

FractalSandwich posted:

I think they fixed that in the last patch a month or so ago.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The creamery actually produces pretty nice profits for a colonial-era building (more than the sawmill at least) and takes only 4 highschool workers and milk (from goat and cattle ranches), so it's not spectacular, but pretty nice to have. It's also pretty cheap, so you can actually build it rather early.

The mission itself is a colonial era marathon with no independence possible; I ended it with over 350 people, which gets kinda crazy in the colonial era because you end up with a positively ginormous agriculture-based economy. I had about $130k in the treasury and a year left on the mandate when I finally finished it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Magni posted:

The creamery actually produces pretty nice profits for a colonial-era building (more than the sawmill at least) and takes only 4 highschool workers and milk (from goat and cattle ranches), so it's not spectacular, but pretty nice to have. It's also pretty cheap, so you can actually build it rather early.

The mission itself is a colonial era marathon with no independence possible; I ended it with over 350 people, which gets kinda crazy in the colonial era because you end up with a positively ginormous agriculture-based economy. I had about $130k in the treasury and a year left on the mandate when I finally finished it.

I think I'm looking forward to this; I've toyed with the idea of staying in colonial times as long as possible, just to see what it would be like.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I tried it once and it was really fun but I ended up running out of missions for increases. I guess what you want to do is priorize those missions and always pick the longest term increase, until you run out of luck.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Tahirovic posted:

I tried it once and it was really fun but I ended up running out of missions for increases. I guess what you want to do is priorize those missions and always pick the longest term increase, until you run out of luck.

At some point I think lord oakwood says "hey you've pretty much run out of opportunities for extensions, so you might want to go on and declare independence."

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
If you're not adverse to cheatengine just find the time left on your writ (by months) and increase it when you reach the point you're not getting any more chances in game.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The DLC mission actually gives you some extra opportunites to increases your mandate specifically because it'd be almost impossible otherwise.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So my slow games near 2k pop are still running like rear end. The picture in picture is really not necessary and need to be turn-offable.

I really want to like this game, but I have all kinds of performance problems in late game that make me sad.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sorry if I'm asking something that has been heavily covered in the lifespan of this thread, but I skimmed it and haven't seen it, and since I haven't played past the cold war in the campaign yet, I'd appreciate a little advice for someone who's relatively new to the game.

What are the best money-making strategies in each era? Mostly I'm interested in the post-colonial era, since that one is pretty short and scant on choices, but after that, it seems like there's a lot of options and I'm not sure what I should be focusing on. My "strategy" has been basically to build at least one of every industrial building, and one raw materials building to support it, but I'm wondering if there's a better rule of thumb than that. Is it worth it to import raw materials, or should you just produce all of them, and save your trade routes for exports?

And I'm completely lost in regards to what I'm supposed to do with tourism, with all the different types of tourists, and all the different types of buildings to accommodate them. Can I safely ignore tourism and focus on industry for my economy, or am I really shooting myself in the foot if I don't work on it?

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 28, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah tourism gives you pretty bad returns on your investment compared to anything else. Just compare the cost of one hotel to a factory and how much money they make. Avoid the cheaper resort versions of each tourist type because they are a complete waste of money (except for the family resort). But they do provide a steady flow of cash that isn't dependent on teamsters which can help smooth out your economy and avoid your treasury dipping so much between cargo ships.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I am just happy that the latest patch finally fixed the import/exports piling up at the docks that was killing my late cold war game.

Post-colonial you should already have sugar and tobacco farms that you can start producing rum and cigars with. Also, you can have llama and cotton during the first stage that you can go into a textile mill right away to get some good cash flow.

Just make sure you get a high school right away because you need hs grads for those positions.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mayodreams posted:

I am just happy that the latest patch finally fixed the import/exports piling up at the docks that was killing my late cold war game.

Post-colonial you should already have sugar and tobacco farms that you can start producing rum and cigars with. Also, you can have llama and cotton during the first stage that you can go into a textile mill right away to get some good cash flow.

Just make sure you get a high school right away because you need hs grads for those positions.

Yeah, that's basically what I've been doing. I'm just wondering if the strategy gets a little more complex than "more factories = more money" so long as you have the raw materials available to keep them running.

Is there a particular ratio of raw material buildings to factory buildings that's ideal?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there a particular ratio of raw material buildings to factory buildings that's ideal?

I recall someone doing some testing from a few pages back saying that the best ratio was 2:1 raw material:factory for most goods.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Odobenidae posted:

I recall someone doing some testing from a few pages back saying that the best ratio was 2:1 raw material:factory for most goods.

There's really not a hard and fast optimal ratio given the wildly different effectiveness ratings based on placement, upgrades, budget, managers, etc.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Don't forget teamsters.

If you're going whole hog on a particular industry, I'd advise 5 raw for 2 factories, then one factory that uses the output from those two.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Dogen posted:

There's really not a hard and fast optimal ratio given the wildly different effectiveness ratings based on placement, upgrades, budget, managers, etc.

Effectiveness is linear, so a 200% effectiveness field should match up with a 100% industrial building or whatever.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Wallet posted:

Effectiveness is linear, so a 200% effectiveness field should match up with a 100% industrial building or whatever.

Yes, sure, I just mean there's not a hard and fast ratio of raw resource to factory.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How are coups different form rebellions in terms of what causes them?

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
Is the DLC mission epic?

Best Regards,
RG

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
It's pretty fun. YOu don't get to advance past the Colonial Era and get more time extensions, meaning you cna build a sizeable colonial city.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

RichardGamingo posted:

Is the DLC mission epic?

Best Regards,
RG

It's pretty cheesy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So, I know the "imports being immediately exported" issue has been fixed. Have they ever fixed the absolutely horrible AI of the teamsters?

Also, I have a terrible habit of getting constantly over-run in the mission. I keep handing the new "flavors" of cheese to the wrong faction and incurring rebellions and invasions.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Baron Porkface posted:

How are coups different form rebellions in terms of what causes them?

Coups happen specifically when you piss of the military / militarist factions; rebellions happen when you piss off the rest of the population in a low-democracy setting.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Coups happen specifically when you piss of the military / militarist factions; rebellions happen when you piss off the rest of the population in a low-democracy setting.

Which is the type of revolt that still occurs even if you have the "democracy" constitution option selected, and what causes it?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
My issues tend to constantly stem in Modern Times where I'm getting citizens leaving constantly with good health care, entertainment, etc. BUT when they start emmigrating, the healthcare naturally drops and before that, it was a food issue when I went to Hydroponics as no one with a high-school level wanted to work in a supermarket.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Also, I have a terrible habit of getting constantly over-run in the mission. I keep handing the new "flavors" of cheese to the wrong faction and incurring rebellions and invasions.
Hint: Sugar is used to make rum and fish is not a classy flavor.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Poil posted:

Yeah, I figured it out. Was kinda sad when the scenario ended with a bit of a whimper after that hard start but *shrug*. Not even a token achievement.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Poil posted:

Well, now I feel dumb. Neither of those occurred to me, and I just picked at random.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Which is the type of revolt that still occurs even if you have the "democracy" constitution option selected, and what causes it?

You'll still get rebel attacks, is that what you mean? People become rebels if one of their needs isn't met for a while or if you piss them off directly in some way. You can also have a coup. Democracy just stops protesters.

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
Apologizes if this isn't the right place, but I've been playing Tropico 4 and I had a few questions:

How many resources does each industrial building take up? For example, is one iron mine enough to support one Weapons Factory? Should I be building more factories if I have multiple iron mines?

Can Bauxite be turned into anything else, or is it purely a sellable commodity?

Is there any way to get my teamsters to move products from the factories to the docks any quicker? It's really frustrating to watch my distillery pile up loads and loads of sellable goods while all my teamsters are off dicking around. :argh:

For the record, I tend to build my factories right next to the docks and stick a few garages and teamster buildings nearby. My farms/mines are just wherever the resources are at.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Tropico series is currently on sale on Steam. 33% off on Tropico 5 and a lot more on the earlier games.

DiseasedTempest posted:

Apologizes if this isn't the right place, but I've been playing Tropico 4 and I had a few questions:

How many resources does each industrial building take up? For example, is one iron mine enough to support one Weapons Factory? Should I be building more factories if I have multiple iron mines?

Can Bauxite be turned into anything else, or is it purely a sellable commodity?

Is there any way to get my teamsters to move products from the factories to the docks any quicker? It's really frustrating to watch my distillery pile up loads and loads of sellable goods while all my teamsters are off dicking around. :argh:

For the record, I tend to build my factories right next to the docks and stick a few garages and teamster buildings nearby. My farms/mines are just wherever the resources are at.
No idea if there's a specific ratio you can follow. If the factory has a low or no input you might need more resources but if you're exporting raw materials you need more factories.

If you have the expansion it can be used for electronics and cars.

More teamsters is probably the best solution.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Poil posted:

The Tropico series is currently on sale on Steam. 33% off on Tropico 5 and a lot more on the earlier games.

"Tropico Reloaded" (a package of Tropico 1, the expansion pack, and Tropico 2) costs $1.04. Kind of a steal if you haven't played that yet and want to see the game's roots, and that weird one where they made it a game about managing slaves on a pirate cove.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Is there a way to disable the picture-in-picture thing that appears in the upper left of the screen every time something happens?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thompsons posted:

Is there a way to disable the picture-in-picture thing that appears in the upper left of the screen every time something happens?
Nope. And it's a feature that is VERY often asked about. It lags extra much when it involves rebels and shows a sweeping panorama of the populated part of the island.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Especially when you have a population of 4k :v: .

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
So I got Tropico 5 through the Steam sale and I recommend to anyone who's considering buying it to pass up on it instead and buy Tropico 3 for much cheaper because it's way better.

This game really feels like it was rushed out to cash in on a new version and was made by people who knew nothing about or couldn't care less about the setting. The building models are frankly terrible compared to Tropico 3's in term of detail and personality. It's a huge difference. The architecture for half of them also makes no sense and look completely out of place in the carribean setting in addition to being bland as hell compared to Tropico 3 versions. Even the wilderness in Tropico 3 had lots of extra little details like animals running around etc...

Tropico 3 had this awesome trait-based character creation and would actually have these various historical Carribean rulers as presets, which was lots of fun if you're familiar with the history of the region and showed that the developers had done their research. Nothing like that here.

I seem to be a British colony, except that everyone speaks with a Spanish accent and has a Spanish name, ok whatever. But why is everyone on the island wearing puritan pilgrim hats then???

The writing was never a strong point of the series but this is embarassing. A few minutes in and they throw a "LOL GAYS" joke at me already.

I know I sound like I'm bitter but this is a huge disappointment :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nah, I think it's fair to say 5 was a disappointment. I hope that eventually the game will get the Civ V treatment and become awesome but...I can't really justify spending any more time on it as is.

Though honestly for people that haven't played the series I'd suggest 4 instead. 4's basically a carbon copy of 3 but "tuned up". Better writing, better graphics, great cast, no Betty Boom. So if you don't already have 3, go play 4.

Tropico 5 though...it's not a carbon copy of 4, which is nice, but it simplifies things. Some simplification is fine, but 5's gone past simplification and to dumbing down to the point of removing too much control from the player. You can't really do anything besides build buildings and be a pinata for the constant rebel attacks that become more, and more, and more frequent as the game goes on. I don't mind having to actually pay attention to the military and defense, but it quickly becomes tiring when people are rebelling in the internet-aged communist utopia you've built and every single one of your tools will only increase unrest. In addition, it tries to have 4's humor and writing, but with half of the budge, half of the wit, and a quarter of the cast.

• Locked thread