Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
5 definitely did some things right though. You actually have to make choices and do things in order to stay in power, as opposed to previous Tropico games where all you had to do was provide services to a base level of happiness and then coast. Also you could easily afford to provide all those services after building just one factory. I think everyone would agree that there was very little incentive to actually play a tyrant in previous Tropico games, where now poo poo actually goes down no matter what you do. It keeps you on your toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Maybe it's because I played Tropico 4 so much, but I miss the skill-advancement system. I liked having general-purpose bonuses instead of having specific abilities that have to be assigned to specific buildings.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Though honestly for people that haven't played the series I'd suggest 4 instead. 4's basically a carbon copy of 3 but "tuned up". Better writing, better graphics, great cast, no Betty Boom. So if you don't already have 3, go play 4.

Hey man, Betty Boom is one of the series' best characters. :colbert: I thought she was pretty funny with how her ideology was just to be entirely contrary to El Presidente no matter what. Juanito was also pretty great.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

The dealbreaker for 5 with me was the lack of actual music. I don't want this MIDI poo poo, I want real caribbean salsa and merengue music. All the other additions were fun and I enjoyed some of the mechanics change, but man, the music makes this game what it is.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

But Not Tonight posted:

The dealbreaker for 5 with me was the lack of actual music. I don't want this MIDI poo poo, I want real caribbean salsa and merengue music. All the other additions were fun and I enjoyed some of the mechanics change, but man, the music makes this game what it is.

That is also easily the most fixable problem in the game so

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Bloodnose posted:

so I guess I'm just bad at video games/the internet! Thanks, I'll go fix it.

fake edit: mostly I wanted new songs, not music that I've heard hundreds of times over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But Not Tonight posted:

so I guess I'm just bad at video games/the internet! Thanks, I'll go fix it.

fake edit: mostly I wanted new songs, not music that I've heard hundreds of times over.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=real+caribbean+salsa+and+merengue+music ?

edit: This one's pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21LR4hKlJrQ

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That's not the point. The music was great in T4, why the step down?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
My guess is that the tunes feel less repetitive than lyrical songs when they loop. I'm inclined to agree, but I wish the solution was just tons more lyrical songs rather than replacing them with a few tunes.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Bloodnose posted:

Is that true? I'd love to add the music from the other games. Tropico 3 had the best soundtrack and it's kinda gone downhill from there.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the soundtracks from the other two games was one of the first things modded into Tropico 5. I remember it from this thread. But I might be crazy.

Otherwise you can always jury rig it by turning off music ingame and putting your own playlist in foobar and running it in the background. T5 runs a nice borderless window mode.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I just attempted to do an "Atlas Shrugged" island with only the needs of the island's richest inhabitants seen to. But it didn't work because apparently Kalypso programmed this game so that among the Rich Tropicans (who were my only voters), there were far more Communists than Capitalists. I lost the election because the Rich Communist voters hated me. This seems like the exact opposite of how it should be.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I just attempted to do an "Atlas Shrugged" island with only the needs of the island's richest inhabitants seen to. But it didn't work because apparently Kalypso programmed this game so that among the Rich Tropicans (who were my only voters), there were far more Communists than Capitalists. I lost the election because the Rich Communist voters hated me. This seems like the exact opposite of how it should be.

Might be a design lapse, might be subversive social commentary on the libertarian fantasy.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

It's not that they hate you, each of them just thinks he or she would be a better president. :D
To make it work you probably need to social engineer your population harder to be capitalists. Or go around and fire communists from well-paying jobs(hm, can you still fire people from the building screen like in T4? never did it in T5), this doesn't cause unrest like banishing/killing but disqualifies them from voters.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You should have ran a libertarian dictatorship for the ultimate irony.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I really like trop5. Trop3 and 4 are just...so easy by comparison, going back they don't feel like games at all, they just play themselves like JRPGs. And Trop5 MP is a blast.

Trop3 probably ate the most of my time, but WoW at even more so it's not like 'time spent' is really a metric of quality.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I wouldn't call Trop5 bad, just underwhelming. The music is the worst of the series, some of the mechanics don't make any sense, and they clearly set up gaps to be plugged later with DLC. On the other hand, it's actually possible to lose now. I really like the changes to agriculture, I like the military system even if they made rebels way too obnoxious, and the trade route mechanic is neat even if the docks cause too much lag and congestion. I would recommend waiting for a year or so and buying the gold edition bundle when all the DLC is released.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Tropico 5 is, to me, a game with a lot of great ideas to shake up the formula but not enough iteration time to get them working.

I love the era system, but they didn't set it up so buildings can work differently in different eras (except through additions). Nearly every colonial era building is too good after the colonial era. High schools don't ever get better even though modern economies seem to be built on a higher proportion of graduates than is possible. Imagine if you could convert your colonial fortress into a cold war tourist attraction, or a modern 5-star hotel?

The wealth system is much simpler to deal with than the old dollar-based economy, but you can't subsidize specific buildings to make them cost less to live in.

The trade route system is a great idea, and it makes trade an integral part of your faction standings web. However, it encourages building more docks, and the more docks you have the more horribly your teamsters and ships path, which slows your economy.

Powering your island isn't just a matter of plonking down a bunch of windmills. You need to manage the resources and personnel that run your power plants. Of course, this means that if your teamsters suddenly decide they don't want to deliver coal to the power plant across the street, your economy collapses completely.

Management skills for your building managers are pretty great, but aside from your own family the way to get better managers is never really explained.

I was actually more engaged through the campaign than I ever was in the previous games, but sandbox mode just isn't very fulfilling.

So forth and so on. I want to love the game but I only like it. Maybe it'll be better in time, as the global economy stabilizes. Or if they add resource storage.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I tried out a multiplayer game with a friend yesterday. With the variable speed setting any player can change the speed at any point which was pretty nice (probably not so much with random jerks over the net however). It ran very smooth until we reached the point where the game starts to break down from being too much of a resource hog as the number of tropicans increases. With two people it happened a lot quicker so it kinda turned unplayable. :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So is being an rear end in a top hat dictator that plays nice with the military viable or is it more simple to just be a good ruler?

Thinking I may of made a mistake with choosing my presidente's trait as the military one.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Leal posted:

So is being an rear end in a top hat dictator that plays nice with the military viable or is it more simple to just be a good ruler?

Thinking I may of made a mistake with choosing my presidente's trait as the military one.

I found it much more difficult (than Tropico 4) to be a nice-guy ruler during the campaign. You get a mission where the goal is "build up the military", and then when you get the chance to go democratic, it turns out all those military citizens you built up do not care for that at all. :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I really like what they did with 5. 3 and 4 were way too easy. Just deficit spend and build factories, then beeline to oil. There, you win the game.

Although I don't like it popping off a tsunami during an election :catstare:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Am I missing something? I just read a page of people saying they made the difficulty better in 5 but I still just beeline to a shoreline full of rum distilleries and the game wins itself. The only challenge 5 offers me is fighting the teamster AI.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

That's still way harder than 3 or 4, where the only bad moves were "building a military" and "not spending money quickly." 5 is still pretty easy, but the hardest difficulty in 4 was still "presolved rubiks cube" level. Rebellions and uprisings are something that can end your game and can happen without deliberately going out of your way to provoke them, which is somewhat refreshing.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Homelessness in this game seems to be a bit buggy.

I have shacks popping up with a single rich person in it right next to an empty apartment with an 88 housing quality that only requires poor.

Will the rich not live in apartments? I mean these fucks are sitting in a shack while living under an apartment building. Bulldozed it, and it came right back within a few minutes.

300 homeless out of 1700 now, but most of that is because my apartments are too far from people's workplaces. I have Social Security and the Mortgage edicts active too. I don't think anyplace pays less than Well-Off, almost everyplace is Rich since I just max the budget.

This game seems to poo poo itself near the endgame, traffic is so bad that I decided to make my housing separate from production buildings...which is why so many people are now homeless. Metro stations seems to have a range, no idea how far it is though, but not enough whatever it is.

Other than that I say this game is filling the same hole 3 did pretty well.

Edit: Apparently the Office Building will happily print money even if no one is working there.

Also I had a huge population die off that lead to child labor, which lead to Martial Law, which lead to crushing an uprising and shooting protesters every chance I got.

El Presidente demands blood.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 3, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

New update out if anyone still is interested in this game:

Penultimo posted:

Fellow Tropicans,

The Tropico Department of Public Announcements and Life Advice is proud to announce yet another major game and content update for Tropico 5.

See the full changelog below:

- Merged foreign relations and multiplayer diplomacy into new diplomacy interface
- New building: Supermax Prison! Adds new 'arrest' action for citizens. Arrested citizens lose their negative roles at the end of their prison term
- Added population limit slider to options menu (applies to both single and multiplayer modes)
- Added option to disable event minicam (text only notifications will be displayed instead)
- Added option to disable radio messages
- Improved teamster efficiency in high traffic situations
- Corrected 'Qualified Professionals' upgrade for office buildings
- Edicts which can be enabled once per island will now stay active in consequential campaign missions
- Almanac fixes: Removed 'Monthly Production' stat for docks, closed positions no longer count as open jobs
- Fishing wharves no longer produce fish when deposits are depleted
- Fixed 'Uranium Enrichment' upgrade for nuclear power plant
- Fixed a rare case of pirates getting stuck after battle
- Gardens can now be demolished using controller input scheme
- Fixed continuity bugs in 'Franz Ferdinand' task chain
- Rebalanced 'Alliance with the EU' task
- Multiplayer: Fixed rare crash after accessing multiplayer mode from main menu
- Multiplayer: Names of defeated players are now displayed correctly
- Multiplayer: Citizen lists in almanac are now updated as the game progresses

Always remember to vote for El Presidente - or else!

Also, new DLC out on the 17th called "Waterborne" where the developers go "Hey, this is an Island nation, right?" and El Presidente is allowed to build nuclear subs, tidal generators and off-shore apartments/hotels for the super-wealthy.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It actually sounds like a cool expansion! I usually play for a couple days whenever a new DLC comes out, but this one might keep me interested a while. Especially if it fixes some of the late-game problems that gradually ruin the fun of an island.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just hope I can make underwater cheese, or set my prison labor to cheese making duty.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Is any of the other DLC worth picking up?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GamingHyena posted:

Is any of the other DLC worth picking up?
On a sale, yes. Otherwise, probably not.

The best building is the cheese dlc, and the worst is probably the asylum because I can't even tell if it's actually working or not and it requires a lot of educated workers. Its mission is definitely the most annoying and unfun too (even despite Penultimo Sr going crazy and humming the BKatman theme). Overall the missions are kinda average but they're not bad.

In my biased opinion:
The cheese factory is available the whole game and makes :10bux: from milk. Very useful.
The asylum slowly gives you more managers and supposedly provides minimum healthcare? It also removes the penalty from using discredit. In case you ever use that.
The defense hq does... something? But it does provide a squad of quality infantry.
The fastfood restaurant provides a small and fairly cheap way to entertain people. Kinda crappy capacity and you can't build it until modern times. Slightly better quality and more customers per worker than the regular restaurant.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The cheese factory also has an upgrade that provides entertainment for workers.

I think the HQ just provides an infantry squad that's equal to the death squad (upgraded palace guards), and then a level above that when upgraded. I think also if you do its mission chain it buffs all your troops.

The asylum is just too hard to get a handle on how well it works and also seriously pollutes your manager list if you get its upgrade for that (like every citizen is a manager).

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Poil posted:

On a sale, yes. Otherwise, probably not.

The best building is the cheese dlc, and the worst is probably the asylum because I can't even tell if it's actually working or not and it requires a lot of educated workers. Its mission is definitely the most annoying and unfun too (even despite Penultimo Sr going crazy and humming the BKatman theme). Overall the missions are kinda average but they're not bad.

In my biased opinion:
The cheese factory is available the whole game and makes :10bux: from milk. Very useful.
The asylum slowly gives you more managers and supposedly provides minimum healthcare? It also removes the penalty from using discredit. In case you ever use that.
The defense hq does... something? But it does provide a squad of quality infantry.
The fastfood restaurant provides a small and fairly cheap way to entertain people. Kinda crappy capacity and you can't build it until modern times. Slightly better quality and more customers per worker than the regular restaurant.

The fast food joints really works well with slums with the church. 40 Housing Satisfaction bonus is a nice thing to have.

The Prison also overrides your democracy principles which lets you issue the death penalty in the prison yard

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Futzing around with the new DLC stuff. So far I'm only in the Colonial era which only gives you smugglers and oyster farms. Yes, the Smuggler's Wharf is back, it gives you freebie% on imports and also gives you additional trade routes with the smugglers. Meanwhile the Oyster Farm is placed directly on top of fish "deposits" out at sea, letting you use them to generate cold, hard $$$ instead of food from them, while also reducing local pollution.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Well the DLC is out, $20. I'm going to wait a bit in the faint hope that it'll go on sale during the Xmas sales.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hah, the second mission in the new campaign lets you send "someone from Tropico 4" to the sunken city of R'lyeh.

Miss Pineapple did not appreciate the local's spelling.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I sent Penultimo and he thought it was a lousy excuse that he couldn't see their leader because he was "sleeping." But he did come back with some free fishing trawlers!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

While it's probably not as bad as before, the utterly infuriating inability to do ANYTHING about the rebels persists.

Create a "worker's paradise" with all the food you can eat (even if you have to pay for it), subsidized housing, social security, and literacy, with no homelessness and minimal unemployment? REVOLT! Assassinate the leader, or even better discredit him with the Asylum built? More rebels show up! 75+% approval rating? MORE ASSAULTS ON THE PALACE! Everything you do to try to stamp down on the unrest makes MORE unrest, I swear making your population happy and well fed just gives them more leisure time to revolt.

Also, FFS, you already have the "don't use resource locally" for resources. Add a "Don't loving export this you dipshits!" option Kalypso!

All I ask is a happy median between 4's "Tropico's most endangered species: the wild Rebel" and 5's current setting where El Presidente not having the time to personally feed someone's kitten enough to make them revolt.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 18, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought I'd post something on the new stuff. Please note that all ocean placed buildings will use small floating cars boats to travel to and from your docks to connect with the rest of the island, so keep that in mind for dock placement.

Prison:
-Neat but I think it's bugged and the sentences are finished instantly?

Colonial era:
-Oyster farm, placed directly on top of a fish resource and provides pearls for export. Can be upgraded to improve restaurants & bars and to boost jewelry factory production
-Smugglers wharf, imports 300 of the resource of a random import deal you have running. Provides a smuggler trade deal, two if upgraded. Those deals are AMAZING at later eras. Half priced electronics? Don't mind if I do.
World war era:
-Fishing trawler, placed directly on top of a fish resource and once a fish school is depleted it will move on to another one while the first replenishes. Fhtang.
Cold war era:
-A floating restaurant (forgot the name :v:.), placed directly on top of fish. Very popular and preferred by family tourists and wealthy with an upgrade.
-Sightseeing boat (see above parentheses), small and provides for 60 tropicans and eco tourists with only 3 workers but kinda unpopular (like the beach building). Can be upgraded to provide 100 research points (impending nerf anyone?) and culture tourists.
-Nuclear submarine, needs uranium and will remove the relation requirement for trade deals. Can also fire missiles but I haven't tried that yet.
-Tidal power plant. Placed on the coast and provides 200 power with 3 collage workers. Apparently more of them reduces efficiency too. I guess it's not terrible but you'd need to build many of them and even a -10% is going to hurt quickly.
Modern era:
-Floating apartment, 10 rich tropican families for almost 100 housing quality. Doesn't seem overly popular so far. Can be upgraded with gardens.
-Floating office. Must be set to a foreign nation and provides money, or swiss money, depending on relations. Makes mad cash at 100. Also supports the garden upgrade.

The campaign is gloriously stupid. :allears:

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 18, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Alkydere posted:

While it's probably not as bad as before, the utterly infuriating inability to do ANYTHING about the rebels persists.

Create a "worker's paradise" with all the food you can eat (even if you have to pay for it), subsidized housing, social security, and literacy, with no homelessness and minimal unemployment? REVOLT! Assassinate the leader, or even better discredit him with the Asylum built? More rebels show up! 75+% approval rating? MORE ASSAULTS ON THE PALACE! Everything you do to try to stamp down on the unrest makes MORE unrest, I swear making your population happy and well fed just gives them more leisure time to revolt.

Also, FFS, you already have the "don't use resource locally" for resources. Add a "Don't loving export this you dipshits!" option Kalypso!

All I ask is a happy median between 4's "Tropico's most endangered species: the wild Rebel" and 5's current setting where El Presidente not having the time to personally feed someone's kitten enough to make them revolt.

I think a lot of it depends on how your constitution and edicts are set. If you have consistently low relations with one faction it's going to generate some rebels, and factions care a lot about those settings. Put another way, if you want a marriage equality stem cell researching pot smoking libertopia it's going to make some people made enough to go into the jungle and take up arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Alkydere posted:

Keep high happiness, let them die in an assault or two, and keep enough military around to suppress them so they don't revolt in the first place. Also exile the leaders (but not the regulars). It'll die down.

• Locked thread