Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zhentar posted:

So today I learned you can lose from a Tsunami. Presumably that means it destroyed my palace. What the loving gently caress? There is absolutely nothing I could do to plan for or mitigate that. I don't even get to choose where to put my palace! Why the gently caress would they put in a random "you lose, haha!" in a strategy game?

My friend lost the palace to a tornado once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Just bought this as I played the hell out of 1 and 3 (skipped 4 as it seemed lackluster). Hoping to get some quality Tropico-ing later tonight.

I seem to be getting a lot of crashes though on my computer. The sound will start to get a bit choppy and things start to freeze until it CTD. I looked it up online and I disabled the steam overlay, but I don't know if that'll fix it completely. I apologize for not having read the entire thread, but is there something else I could do to prevent the crashes? Thanks.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Are your drivers updated?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Ah ha! Browsing through some of the game files, I can now say definitively what the impact Crime Lords have!

Crime Lords apply a -30 Crime Safety modifier in a radius of 10 grid squares around their home.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Lorini posted:

Are your drivers updated?

Yep, completely up to date. Running a GTX 560 TI.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zhentar posted:

Ah ha! Browsing through some of the game files, I can now say definitively what the impact Crime Lords have!

Crime Lords apply a -30 Crime Safety modifier in a radius of 10 grid squares around their home.

Oh. That makes sense. Sometimes a good quality residential area has an inexplicable red zone on crime safety even with good police coverage and no shacks or other obvious crime magnets. Crime lords are usually rich, so of course they move into mansions and there goes the neighbourhood.

Thanks!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Yep, completely up to date. Running a GTX 560 TI.

Game just crashed on me on the second mission, about 30 minutes after playing :( Completely locked my computer and I had to do a hard reboot. I sent an email to the kalypso support email address with my dxdiag so hopefully they can resolve this. The game's great so far.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Patch day!

quote:

The 1.03 update is now available:

- Added 3 new maps: Isla de Tucan, Dos Rios, Santa Teresa
- Added 6 new dynasty member costumes: Angel (female), Devil (female),
Steampunk (female), Uncle Pedro (male), Napoleon (male), Steampunk (male)
- Multiplayer: Game checks for modified user files before launch
- Fixed issue with trade route contracts expiring
- Fixed issue with performance of service buildings
- Fixed issue with rebuild construction feature not working properly
- Fixed indestructible trees left in the vicinity of a destroyed logging
camp

For fun I decided to try out an agricultural economy with no industry or mines or anything that wasn't a regular plantation and ranch. The result is that I'm somehow drowning in more money than when I do build industry. Need a crapton of teamster offices though but no matter how many I build they're completely unable to keep up.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Speaking of Teamster's Offices, no matter how I build my islands I eventually wind up in resource gridlock because I eventually forget to build more of them as I expand. Of course, once in this situation I've rarely been able to recover entirely from it, even by immediately doubling up the existing offices when I notice and then slapping down 2 more in any resourcing area that's been omitted. Generally I can get industries back in motion and restore a positive income, but the factories never get back to full uptime and there are always a few raw resourcing buildings which are shut down because they're full.

So what I'm curious about is what benchmarks people in this thread use to tell them they need to build another Office, and/or how many production structures an Office seems to be able to service reliably? I haven't really been able to find a whole lot of hard information about 5 yet, and as I recall I had difficulty finding any definitive answers for 4.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It could just be my imagination but teamsters offices get less and less efficient the larger your town gets. There also seems to be some form of diminishing returns to them. Four teamsters do NOT handle anywhere near four times as much as one for example. :saddowns:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I find that traffic plays a factor later on. Make sure you have more than one way to get into and out of your production areas. Also use commuting edict and try to build metro, although for some reason metro doesn't seem to work as well as it used to.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

In Tropico 4, I used 1 Teamster Office per 5 raw resource buildings, and 1 Teamster Office per factory. In Tropico 5, I use pretty much the same, and set the budget of the Teamster Office to max. I also have several docks spread out over the beaches, with multiple crisscrossing roads to and from production buildings, so that the traffic doesn't get to gridlocked because there's only one route.

How many teamsters you have to have is pretty annoying, especially since Tourism's income got nerfed so hard from Tropico 3. I wish there were Teamster Office upgrades. At least Tropico 5 will let females be teamsters, and not create horrible gender inbalances.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Is tourism in any way worth it? I haven't been impressed so far.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
It gives you a steady source of income and less ship clogging

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=24113

Also the modders at kalypso deciphered the dlcs and sadly we are getting a case of witheld content

-Fast food restaurants requires electricity but gives you an affordable restaurant for lower prices

-Creamery is ofc a t2 milk industry building

-Computer mainframe produces research points

-Fortresses provides you with troops and a free gun tower.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 19, 2014

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tourism is fairly labor efficient but incredibly poor on time efficiency, so i pretty much only build it for completing missions and scoring points.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
If the tourist buildings didn't cost the same as a factory or if there was an edit that halved the cost for a couple years then I'd be more inclined to use it. As it stands you get it too late to really make use of it.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 19, 2014

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

TheCIASentMe posted:

If the tourist buildings didn't cost the same as a factory or if there was an edit that halved the cost for a couple years then I'd be more inclined to use it. As it stands you get it too late to really make use of it.

Kind-of exception is the hangglider luxury entertainment that tourists love. That thing prints money, but I think it does the same with citizens too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

Kind-of exception is the hangglider luxury entertainment that tourists love. That thing prints money, but I think it does the same with citizens too.
Yeah, tropicans love getting a presidente's eye view of their island.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Poil posted:

It could just be my imagination but teamsters offices get less and less efficient the larger your town gets. There also seems to be some form of diminishing returns to them. Four teamsters do NOT handle anywhere near four times as much as one for example. :saddowns:

Someone made a mod that might help, though I haven't tried it yet. It's supposed to let you limit what resources are exported, as well as adding storage space to teamster's offices and choosing which resources each one should pick up.

Resource Manager

If anyone does check it out I'd be interested to know if it makes the economy work better once you get past a handful of teamster's offices.

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013
Anybody else suffering weird stutters/CTD's every few seconds since the last patch hit?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I just learned that if the Allies don't like you at the end of the World Wars, trying to sign your treaty with them can make them attack you without warning. :stonk:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Yeah that happens if either side really hates you.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
They didn't even hate me that much. I had like a 35. :saddowns:

az
Dec 2, 2005

Did anybody make a mod that ups the amount of trade routes you can have?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

FractalSandwich posted:

They didn't even hate me that much. I had like a 35. :saddowns:

35 means they kind of hate you, dude.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Poil posted:

There also seems to be some form of diminishing returns to them. Four teamsters do NOT handle anywhere near four times as much as one for example. :saddowns:

(disclaimer: this is all my speculation based off of reading game files and predicting the resulting behavior. I'm pretty good at that, since a large part of my day job is similar work, but I haven't measured or tested my theories so I could be completely wrong)

That's not quite the problem, although it's certainly what it feels like.

The real issue is that Teamster efficiency drops significantly as you grow. Four teamsters don't work any less efficiently than one teamster, but teamsters on a four-teamster sized road network work much less efficiently than teamsters on a one teamster sized road network.

Why is that? Teamsters, above all else, decide what to transport based on how close to full the output is. There's some weighting for how far they have to go to pick up that output, but it's so small to be insignificant. Building A's output is 54% full. Building B's output is 56% full. Building A is next door to the teamsters office, Building B is 19 blocks further down the road. Teamsters are going to head on over to Building B. Building A supplies a factory next door that's not running because it doesn't have supplies? Doesn't matter. They don't care about empty factories until they've picked up goods and are trying to figure out where to dump them. Length of the round trip doesn't matter. And there's no coordination other teamsters, either - if Building B had a Teamster's office right next to it, and it had a free teamster next in line to pick something up, now it's going to pick Building A and you have two teamsters running across town rather than service buildings right next to them.

The end result is that once you end up with a decently large set of industry, your teamsters are running themselves back and forth across the island to pick up from whatever building happens to be the closest to full at the moment they have an available worker (creating more traffic to slow everything down further in the process).

Note: for the sake of teamster prioritization, dock outputs (from imports) are considered to have a capacity of 6,000 (their actual capacity is 30,000). If your teamsters aren't able to keep resource/industry outputs below 50%, you're going to have a hard time moving imports off the docks.

Side note 2: Teamsters have a base carrying capacity of 1,000. It's modified by the efficiency of the teamster's office, so maxing out your teamster's budget will have a substantial impact on how many resources are getting moved.

So how do you deal with all of this? Without modding the teamster prioritization functions? Simple: don't build one huge, interconnected road network. Split your industry up between two road networks, each with their own set of docks, and now your teamsters won't waste their time traveling to the more distant industries.

:siren: Import Mega-tip :siren:
Trade ships don't just dump their resources at random. They pick the dock that has the least of the resource in supply connected to the most demand for that resource. If you are importing raw materials for your industry, and those industry buildings are on a separate road network with their own dock[s], the raw materials will usually end up on the right docks.

There's some funny double counting going on with dock output, so I'd suggest a minimum of two docks for your import industry road network if your teamsters can't reliably keep the dock outputs empty. (Or if you've got two import trade routes)

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 27, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Has anyone tried out that mod that turns teamster offices into trade warehouses? Does it work out?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Not sure if anyone else is still playing this (I'm getting around to the campaign) but had just one question.

Organic Edict + Old Farms vs. Factory Farms

and...

Housing: I one time had a poo poo ton of country homes set up and I'm ASSUMING they were supplying food to the citizens (I had very few groceries) So I saved up $100k and did a mass upgrade of all country homes to homes. Next thing... approval goes from 70% to 30% in, literally, 2 months.

Is this a food shortage thing or ... how do you guys do housing?

Malek fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 16, 2014

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Did tons of people get thrown out of their houses when the upgrade raised rent above the wage level of a good portion of your populous?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Darkhold posted:

Did tons of people get thrown out of their houses when the upgrade raised rent above the wage level of a good portion of your populous?

If they did, I didn't notice the shacks... but if that's the case, holy poo poo that's hilarious.

That would explain why when I hit modern times I start tearing down country homes for modern apartments.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well if that's the problem you can help out by activating Mortgage Subsidies and if you still have homeless lower the upkeep until it lets the poor in (though that lowers the house quality terribly and should only be a temp fix while you get up some new cheap housing).

Also you can do a similar thing by mass upgrading farms and suddenly you won't have enough educated people to farm in the new buildings and kick off a starvation cycle.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Game just crashed on me on the second mission, about 30 minutes after playing :( Completely locked my computer and I had to do a hard reboot. I sent an email to the kalypso support email address with my dxdiag so hopefully they can resolve this. The game's great so far.

this happened to me and the fix is to go and start a sandbox game on whichever island you have queued up next, then go back to the campaign and it should load just fine iirc

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Darkhold posted:

Well if that's the problem you can help out by activating Mortgage Subsidies and if you still have homeless lower the upkeep until it lets the poor in (though that lowers the house quality terribly and should only be a temp fix while you get up some new cheap housing).

Also you can do a similar thing by mass upgrading farms and suddenly you won't have enough educated people to farm in the new buildings and kick off a starvation cycle.

I'll give this a shot. However Housing is my weakest point at about 40 (I build missions in the middle) until i get to apartments so I think this is really a minor thing. My approval has capped at 85% at times.
(EDIT) Thank you for the advice btw

Also, I REALLY REALLY want to try a co-op multiplayer game of this sometime.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Malek posted:

Housing: I one time had a poo poo ton of country homes set up and I'm ASSUMING they were supplying food to the citizens (I had very few groceries) So I saved up $100k and did a mass upgrade of all country homes to homes. Next thing... approval goes from 70% to 30% in, literally, 2 months.

Is this a food shortage thing or ... how do you guys do housing?

Country Homes do provide food directly to the residents living there. That's why they have gardens! I booted up my game to double-check on this, and the description for Country houses reads: "Provides housing for 4 families. Provides food for the residents." When you upgraded, that messed up enough food being produced and/or the food getting to the residents.

If you go into the Almanac, click on Happiness, then click on "Food", you can see statistics about the maximum amount of population your grocery stores can serve, as well as how much food each farm/ranch produces a month vs. how much is being consumed. Also, when you add new food production buildings and grocery stores, be sure to add additional Teamsters as well, so the food can be transported and your teamsters won't be overloaded with too much work.

As for my personal way of doing housing...well, Presidente Catalina likes to cram as many people as possible into one space, so I go Country Houses > Tenements > start switching to adding Apartments > Demolish Tenements and replace with Apartments > Upgrade to Modern Apartments: advancing to the next step as money allows. Using Quick Build on the housing is a nice feature when you have enough money as well. You don't have to wait around for the large housing buildings to be built.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Catalina posted:

Country Homes do provide food directly to the residents living there. That's why they have gardens! I booted up my game to double-check on this, and the description for Country houses reads: "Provides housing for 4 families. Provides food for the residents." When you upgraded, that messed up enough food being produced and/or the food getting to the residents.

If you go into the Almanac, click on Happiness, then click on "Food", you can see statistics about the maximum amount of population your grocery stores can serve, as well as how much food each farm/ranch produces a month vs. how much is being consumed. Also, when you add new food production buildings and grocery stores, be sure to add additional Teamsters as well, so the food can be transported and your teamsters won't be overloaded with too much work.

As for my personal way of doing housing...well, Presidente Catalina likes to cram as many people as possible into one space, so I go Country Houses > Tenements > start switching to adding Apartments > Demolish Tenements and replace with Apartments > Upgrade to Modern Apartments: advancing to the next step as money allows. Using Quick Build on the housing is a nice feature when you have enough money as well. You don't have to wait around for the large housing buildings to be built.

Right I was doing that and that's what I thought (granted I forgot to check the Almanac when poo poo hit the fan.)

I also normally avoid apartments because square per square, it's more efficient to go with country homes I think. Country Homes are 2 squares and provide for 4 families. The apartment and tenements are 10 families for 6 squares. The quality of housing is lower, yes, but it supplies the food and you can boost with landlords in churches with community aid program enabled.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Another thing about country houses - the food happiness they provide is equal to the housing happiness. Which is actually pretty drat high considering. Country homes OP.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Tulip posted:

Another thing about country houses - the food happiness they provide is equal to the housing happiness. Which is actually pretty drat high considering. Country homes OP.

I think it's higher if you provide Extra Rations. I usually have a few grocery stores next to country homes and my food happiness is up by 15 over housing normally.

If only I could keep these fuckers entertained. Jesus Christ.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The first DLC has been released. It is as expected, The Big Cheese:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/306391/

New sandbox map, the already known building (creamery), new music track, and a chef's hat for your president to wear. All for the cool price of $4.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

JuffoWup posted:

...and a chef's hat for your president to wear.

This DLC missed an oppurtunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The creamery is a colonial era industry goods building, so that's cool if you want to eke the max out of colonial times I guess. The map for the mission is super tiny.

• Locked thread