Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I guess it's a classic Tropico problem/bug, but I just can't get rid of these shacks. I have all kinds of housing at every level of pricing sitting empty and these fuckers wander in and build a shack right next to an empty apartment block set to their wealth level. Very frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Catalina posted:

Oh no! You can't choose the first name of your dictator anymore. How am I supposed to find it amusing to name myself a Spanish-ized version of my name now? :ohdear:
My El Presidentes have always been Sleazy Martinez. I was really looking forward to having him in the dynasty mechanic so he could have an assortment of evil octuplets.

Ah well, there's always mods.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
How do you increase building managers' skills?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
And did anyone figure out how to level up manager skills? Is it even possible? I can't find anything on it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah the family members was easy to figure out, but the ordinary generic manager people have the same star system. I thought maybe they'd just increase over time with experience, but it doesn't seem to happen like that.

Are they just like permanently 1-star?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Filthy rich engineer builds shack literally adjacent to literally (as in 0/4 families) empty mansion. :psyduck:

Not the most likely candidate to be a rebel, but I guess he's got a sort of bourgeois revolutionary aspect to him. Does having wealth-based voting spawn rebels? I'd imagine it would but it doesn't say it does. Also what's his birthplace flag?

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 25, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

I think that instead of the weird eras system, it would have been better for the game to stay focused on the 50s-80s Cold War and flesh that out more. As it is now, you have features being arbitrarily locked out at the beginning and aesthetics that are all over the place (like pilgrim styled colonists with steam-powered ships, or musket armed infantry in the twentieth century).

I forgot to upgrade my palace guard and had musket-armed "Elite Infantry" fighting in the 1980s. That was a funny mistake.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

One of my two islands is in the world war era and produces 0 of its own raw goods. I have much more land to play around with and don't need to worry about cramming farms or building a residential outpost all the way over by that one gold mine.

What do you do with illiterate workers?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

When someone's role is revealed as "crime lord", should I have them shot or... I don't know, I kind of miss my prisons and work camps. :getin:

What negative effect do crime lords even have? One of my games had a lot of them but I was too pussy to shoot them and they didn't seem to actually be that bad. A lot of them were productively working normal jobs so I figured they were just trying to live out some distant Scarface fantasies. Live and let live, says Presidente.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh I was trying to increase that number because official corruption is an integral part of the Tropican economy.

But not private corruption. That's unacceptable!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
But really this isn't tyranny! The guy was a self-professed crime lord! It's not my fault Tropicans have no concept of judiciary or imprisonment!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah didn't they have jeeps in previous Tropicos? Yet another place where they made a step backwards.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
We really need a compulsory education edict.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
When someone builds a shack, I want to know why. I want a status message on the shack that's like "no housing vacancies", " vacant housing too expensive ", "vacant housing too far from workplace", and whatever other magical things make people prefer to live in shacks over empty, poor-friendly mansions with 100 housing quality.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I always play with free elections turned on which apparently makes uprisings impossible, so I kill and banish to my heart's content. I constantly have "very high" unrest, but again as far as I can tell it actually has no effect as long as I keep free elections on.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've found that mansions never need to be electrified because you have to pretty much set them on fire before they drop below 100 housing quality and you can't go over 100 housing quality.

So I get all these filthy rich people in the 21st century who enjoy their Amish lifestyles I guess.

Houses I can usually get over 90 housing quality without electricity so I've not been too bothered by the "hunt down and electrify every house," except it's more like "hunt down and destroy every vacant house that shack-dwellers for some inexplicable reason won't move into."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah that happens if either side really hates you.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
5 definitely did some things right though. You actually have to make choices and do things in order to stay in power, as opposed to previous Tropico games where all you had to do was provide services to a base level of happiness and then coast. Also you could easily afford to provide all those services after building just one factory. I think everyone would agree that there was very little incentive to actually play a tyrant in previous Tropico games, where now poo poo actually goes down no matter what you do. It keeps you on your toes.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

But Not Tonight posted:

The dealbreaker for 5 with me was the lack of actual music. I don't want this MIDI poo poo, I want real caribbean salsa and merengue music. All the other additions were fun and I enjoyed some of the mechanics change, but man, the music makes this game what it is.

That is also easily the most fixable problem in the game so

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
My guess is that the tunes feel less repetitive than lyrical songs when they loop. I'm inclined to agree, but I wish the solution was just tons more lyrical songs rather than replacing them with a few tunes.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the soundtracks from the other two games was one of the first things modded into Tropico 5. I remember it from this thread. But I might be crazy.

Otherwise you can always jury rig it by turning off music ingame and putting your own playlist in foobar and running it in the background. T5 runs a nice borderless window mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

I think the big issue I had was I went Professional Military in World Wars like a loving dumbass. So even with 3 highschools my bases were constantly under-manned and every soldier I lost stung.

Professional Military is one of the worst constitution things you can have. And it makes the militarists mad for some dumb reason.

• Locked thread