Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just in case anyone didn't already know, if you preorder Tropico 5 on steam you'll get day one dlc :rant:, Tropico 4 and Omerta for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

If you ignore the building models and UI it looks 100% like Tropico 4 with a dynasty model hacked on top of it. That's a bit disappointing.
Yup, but that is exactly what I was expecting so I'm not disappointed. :v:

alarumklok posted:

I spent my senior year spring break of college just playing Tropico 4 nonstop. I racked up like 80-90 hours in a week, the game was great (I was stuck in town with nobody around don't judge).
Steam says I've spent 256 hours on it myself so I won't judge.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dunno-Lars posted:

Trip reports and first impressions asap please!

Been burned by to many games by now to pre order anything, so I need those trip reports! I want the game...
I seriously doubt you'll get burned as long as you don't expect some amazing revolutionary Tropico experience. :v:

The only thing we "know" is that it's going to be a bigger step from 4 than what 4 was from 3.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But those castle towers look completely out of place.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

In Tropico 3 I was going for 0 shacks and there was one like 68 year old farmer lady from Mexico, I think, that built a shack right on a hill. I'd demolish it, cause I had SS, free houses, and tons of vacancies. She'd rebuild it. I'd demolish it. This happened like 5 times until I ordered a mansion built on top of the shack. She waited until the mansion was finished and built her shack in its back yard.

gently caress you Emilia.
That's when you send out the police/military to solve the problem.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

According to the Total Biscuit video (where did those 50 minutes go?) they have totally gutted character creation. :(
But despite that it looked pretty fun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

That's weird, I thought they'd put a greater emphasis on your character with this whole dynasty thing. Or is it just something lame like "choose between successor that gives +1 to your troops or successor who gives +5% to farming" and that's that?
Not quite. If I understood it correctly you just pick one (and only one) trait for eternal presidente and the other dynasty members also only pick one trait. No background, no rise to power, very few selection of traits and so on.

There's probably going to be more traits with those wonderful and priceworthy dlc's however. And if you buy them at anything more than half price you're a bloody fool with more money than sense. Also I hate you. :colbert:

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 17, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Having corruption be a huge drain on the economy and present in the almanac was a nice touch.

I find it hilarious that you can side with the axis in ww2. The US would surely appreciate having a small Caribbean island neighbor exporting steel to the Wehrmacht and would certainly not hold a grudge when the war was over. Well. Until they received the reports of a division of panzers with the proud Tropican Steel logo which fell apart and broke before the assembly was even finished due to inferior materials. The great Tropican diplomats would cunningly spin it into deliberate sabotage to help the allies and incidentally would they be interested in purchasing some weapons for the cold war?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

So this isn't really the kind of question you can ask until after the release, but I figure I might as well try and see if one of you knows or keeps up better with press releases and demo videos: do we know if the multiplayer in this game is just scenario-based, or can you follow the campaign story? This'll make or break whether I get this for me, or if I treat all my friends, too.
Assume not. Usually if they allow campaign coop they use it as a selling point.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Awww man I thought the game would be coming out at midnight tonight but it's going to be more tomorrow late-morning/afternoon. I haven't actually felt excited and impatient about a release date for many years.
Don't complain, I can't play until seven in the evening. :(
And the weather is going to continue being bad and uncomfortable.

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 22, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SubNat posted:

e: Still, anyone know roughly how large it is?
Presidente is larger than life itself and her/his greatness cannot be measured in such ways.

System specs required says 4gb on both minimum and recommended which seems about right.

Edit: VVVV like a rebel.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I... lost in a tutorial mission. The game told me to win the election and provided nothing useful to do so and started the election at 30% approval. And the only way to try again is to replay all the tutorials way back to the this is how you move the camera one. :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hmmmm, country houses are cheaper than proper houses and provide their own food so I can make more money on exports. Yeah they're going to be living in those for a long time. Possibly forever. It would be neat if there was a modernish house with a greenhouse on the roof however.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So I had to defend my island from a hostile invasion, of two infantry and two tanks. I had three infantry and four tanks as well as a line of five towers near the harbor that attracted all the invaders. Three of my tanks decided to sit around in a pile outside one of the army bases and didn't lift a finger to defend the island. I won anyway, but drat that was annoying.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I noticed that Tropicans won't move into empty houses they can afford and throw up shacks right next to them. Kinda annoying. The teleporters metro doesn't seem to increase the distance people are willing to live from their work at all.

Apparently you can build more than one embassy now and have all factions invited. Very useful.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Am I blind or stupid? I can't seem to find a page of going rates for goods exports. Did they get rid of this? Am I supposed to infer what crops are worth my time from the sporadic listings in the trade mission window?
Look for the text "production" on the first almanac page and click on it. At least I think it was called that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

For some reason it feels like construction workers slow way down later on as the island grows. Even with no traffic congestion and 3-4 constructors it took forever to build anything, like Tropico 4 slow once I had 800+ people.

Also the radio host is a less annoying Janito but nowhere near as good as Penultimo jr and Sunny. Part of it is because they had a lot more people talking too, like miss Pinaple (attempted murder of a classmate - spanking. Successful murder of a classmate - spanking).
And holy poo poo Lulu's comment when you build a chocolate factory. :stare:

A bit disappointing that the capitalist woman is also representing the industrialists and globalists. Same with the girl in charge of the communists, environmentalists and nationalists. Lost out on all the colorful faction leader characters. Would've been so much better if there had been separate people like in Tropico 4 and that they had simply introduced themselves and their factions when you reached a new age. :(

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 25, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They have fixed bulldozing buildings so it's really quick now and clearing out some cheap housing to plop down a supermarket or nightclub is very evil dictator-like.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm not sure but I think you lose reputation with the related country if you fail to deliver the requested quantity before the time limit. A deal to export corn to the allies ended with the time limit and when I checked relations I had a negative for exporting to the allies. But it could just be a bug since I was exporting iron to the axis at the time.

Also a tip, never let a mine get exhausted before the cold wars era. The improved mines can buy a cheap upgrade to add 15'000 resources and it only works if the deposit isn't drained. There is an edict to increase resources too but I'm not sure how much it actually does.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I was exporting rum to to America during the probation and when they got cranky I sent a dynasty member to negotiate. What the game didn't say was that that meant the member staying overseas to become a crimelord and I permanently lost a level 5 member. loving bullshit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you set a ship to import with an upgraded customs house you'll buy the resources for cheaper than what your teamster morons are exporting your domestic for. :downs:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alberto Basalm posted:

Seriously, where is the "Free Love" edict that has a harem of 40 women follow Presidente around. This game is unrealistic.
That sounds really awkward and crowded, especially when you have to go to the little presidentes room.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Arsonide posted:

What, how, how do I do this.
Rather than how, you can not NOT do it. It'll all be flushed out the docks whether you want it or not.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alkydere posted:

You have to connect it to your main network temporarily to at least build the buildings (you need a mine, a teamster's office and at least one nuke plant) as nothing can build if not connected to a network with a construction office. Even quick building doesn't work if there's no constructor access. Afterwards you can just rip up the road.

Edit: no, wait, I'm stupid. You're only allowed a single nuclear plant. Idea still works though.
Well, it's kinda expensive and not exactly smooth but you can move it around. :v:

edit

One of the campaign missions have you being constantly invaded by pirates who keep attempting to burn down a couple of buildings and then leave disappointed that it wasn't full of loot if they succeed. You can pay money to reduce the number of attacks, but why would you want to? :allears:

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 26, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a point in tourism? The buildings are even more expensive than factories and nowhere near as profitable. Every tourist type has a smaller and a larger hotel building with the smaller barely making any money.

minchar posted:

well this seems lucrative
That's the Tropico way. :patriot:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Tourism makes pretty good cash with a lot less pollution, which is nice. It also tends to be less boom/bust than industry, since you're not dependent on exporting material from docks. Keep in mind that you can and should make tourist-only entertainment buildings in addition to your hotels, as those make tons of money off of tourists. My only complaint about tourism is that they seem to use the same docks as your industry, when I would prefer to have them shuttled to a corner of my island with less pollution and ugly buildings.

Honestly, it's a good side revenue booster, can be contained in one location of the island, and is a good way to employ uneducated workers.

In an unrelated note, I love the campaign storyline. [Major campaign spoilers] I haven't actually started the missions after you go back in time, but after being sabotaged by Isla Rojo and Puerto Coco throughout the game, it's brilliant that we're the ones responsible for sabotaging ourselves!
Sure. But the profits are so small and the set up cost so large. Having the docks blocked is kinda annoying too yeah. But it is really nice that you can force entertainment to be tourists only, it really helps.

More campaign spoilers, Sort of, but I have a feeling you'll fail every mission because you have to go through the other side of all the missions from the first time line.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 26, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't figure out that formula at all, could you please explain it a little more? :saddowns:

Novasol posted:

Late campaign: It starts that way, but has one key divergence.

Also, I'm so glad I remembered the swiss lottery numbers :haw:

Also campaign spoiler: I'm about to start an oil focused mission after having totally succeeded with assassinating the crazy guy (with a polar bear, I was really tempted to use the naked pictures though) and I'm certainly not expecting him to show up after the next mission or so.

Yeah remembering the numbers was pretty fun. Not exactly difficult but fun. It was pretty much the same numbers an idiot would use as the code on his suitcase.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, I see. Thanks. Turns out it was the dot that really confused me. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I learned quite a few things about military in the latest campaign mission I played.

1. Rebels can spawn at multiple locations and they seem to always spawn within a short distance of their target.
2. The space center is a valid target.
3. Having the space center far away from the main town is not a good idea and it's better to plop it down in a suburb :jeb:
4. The space center is as sturdy against damage as a ranch.
5. After destroying their intended target rebels attack the palace (not always?).
6. Your army will spread out and protect the targeted buildings by hanging around outside them and never hunts down rebels despite vastly superior numbers.
7. It takes a very very long time for rebels to cross from one end of the island to the other.
8. Fighter jets from the carrier have tremendously poor aim even when upgraded, but the splash damage makes up for it a little bit. Expect maybe one direct hit missile every third bombing run.
9. You probably NEVER want to enable fire at will unless it's the last resort to protect the palace since the jets will likely be doing more damage than anything else in the game.

I suspect that you want to place your army stuff a bit spread out but in clusters of at least two, because even if you can win 2v2 against the rebels you might not win two 2v1. Same with guard towers, a single one will only slow down an attacking squad rather than defeat it. I think the right to arm bears increases rebel strength by more than it increases your soldiers strength.

This game could really use an airbase building, possibly unique, that launches a couple of attack helicopters with machine guns. Maybe an upgrade to get a fire fighter heli too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, beat the campaign. Kinda lackluster compared to Tropico 4 to be honest. The last mission wasn't particularly difficult provided you've built it up properly earlier.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had a tsunami, which turned the screen black and crashed the game. Had to alt+f4 out. The mouse cursor and music kept working fine though. Time to restart with disasters turned from rare to off. :sigh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I went with environmentalist for the sweet island-wide pollution reduction. You want a presidente with a strong global bonus but the manager bonus doesn't matter because you'll never be able to use it. So maybe a weak manager bonus so it doesn't feel as bad when you have to waste it. No idea if anyone has compiled a list of the traits somewhere yet though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm really liking the quest chains for the crown in the colonial era. The first quests from the capitalist woman in the war eras is pretty good too. Isn't it wonderful that everyone wants to nuke each other? Let's sell them some uranium and push up the price. Even though she doesn't wear a top hat I still like her a lot more than whathisname from Tropico 4.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It could of course be some things that were scrapped but they left traces of them behind.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SubNat posted:

Each file actually has a tag for REQUIRED DLC: , and a couple even mention which specific dlc they're tied to.

It might be scraps left over yes, but it seems odd that all of them are tied to DLCs in that case.

It's not impossible that they caught enough flack over the tiny DLCs from Tropico 5, that they decided to expand them a little.
Well, that sounds like it could be good. Doesn't hurt to hope. That's the Tropico way.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

When someone builds a shack, I want to know why. I want a status message on the shack that's like "no housing vacancies", " vacant housing too expensive ", "vacant housing too far from workplace", and whatever other magical things make people prefer to live in shacks over empty, poor-friendly mansions with 100 housing quality.
I've had people plop down shacks quite a far distance away from their workplace, even though there are empty homes closer than the shack.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I tried out a proper sandbox game, but the game got really unstable as I reached 1000 tropicans. It never actually crashed but the interface wasn't functioning properly at all and tropicans, only noticed constructors, were suddenly barely able to reach construction sites.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a point to this event? Every time I've attempted it I've had to the pay 5'000 or lose relations result.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Random maps are really stingy with fish, I'm playing a medium map and I got 2 spots which spend most of their time fishless despite not using the net upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Coal is really cheap so it's not much of an issue. With an upgraded customs office you should be able to buy it for about the same as the export price. Of course if you could store coal in a warehouse and use it only for power and steel it would be better.

• Locked thread