Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Probably my favorite tycoon style game of all time. Already pre-ordered and waiting anxiously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

Tropico's always been a series close to my heart thanks to being a native of a former Spanish colony. Plenty of times where I go "Hahahaha...man :smith:" when something hits a bit close to home.

In Tropico 3 I was going for 0 shacks and there was one like 68 year old farmer lady from Mexico, I think, that built a shack right on a hill. I'd demolish it, cause I had SS, free houses, and tons of vacancies. She'd rebuild it. I'd demolish it. This happened like 5 times until I ordered a mansion built on top of the shack. She waited until the mansion was finished and built her shack in its back yard.

gently caress you Emilia.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely a different game. I played Tropico 4 as a relaxing way to build up a little utopia when I wanted to unwind.

Maybe I haven't figured it out but I was scrambling to win elections up until mid cold war and then I had a ton of popularity but like 150k in expenses so I had to scramble to make money any way possible. Things seem to have stabilized in the Modern era bu I wouldn't exactly call the game relaxing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Congrats, you made Hong Kong.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Odobenidae posted:

Is there a small map with 100% usable coastline? I can't imagine how hilarious it would look like if the entire island was surrounded by gridlocked ships.

Yes. There's also an option in sandbox for unlimited money.

Get

In

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

I really, REALLY wish this game let you build warehouses that you could tell them to store X amount of material Y.

Yes please.

Build nuke plant and build uranium mine. Check nuke plant use. Cool, mine has enough to keep it running for like 20 years. 2 years later "Hey Presidente, we sold all the Uranium and the plant's useless." Import prices are way more than those idiots would have made selling. Not being able to ban certain exports is a huge and, frankly, baffling oversight.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I usually don't do this because I know there's no way the developer will read or care about my input, but I really do feel there are just a few more things that this game could really use to be more transparent and enjoyable. This game totally dominated my weekend, so it's good enough on its own, but these would really help replayability and with new players.

1. More control over trade goods.
___ I want the ability to forbid trade and store certain goods. Selling all my uranium when I'm relying on nuke power is just stupid. My clothes factories are constantly low on cloth even though I have like 8 llama farms and 3 textile mills, when I look at the depot all the cloth is just being sold. This just seems like an oversight. Maybe a large colonial era building called the stockpile could be created that excess goods are stored in. This could also be a target for rebels and coups and raise crime and unrest if it's bursting with high value goods. It'd be a neat mechanic to decide whether you want centralized stockpiles that can be targets of crime or an isolated stockpile that has to be defended from rebels and may slow down production. With how much Kalypso loves DLC I could see this being a candidate.

2. More Tropican populace overlays.
It would really be helpful to have more insight on Tropicans. As is it's extremely difficult assessing the populace. I often had low popularity and high unrest without being able to easily see why.
___ I'd really like an overlay for occupancy of jobs and housing, as is it's super annoying seeing which jobs and houses are hurting by clicking or hovering on each one.
___ Hunger/medical/unrest need overlays.
___ I'd really like an overlay similar to crime for homelessness/unemployment. Being able to click on a job and see if it has homeless workers and how many alone would be super helpful.

3. More models/textures.
___ Particularly with the towers, cities start to get samey quick. If I were them I'd do a fan contest for free DLC. I'm aware of the legal issues with that, though.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Making this:

Anyone want it when I finish?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

I can't figure out that formula at all, could you please explain it a little more? :saddowns:

First a simple one. Some buildings have roads built in for input or output. A grocery store does, an apartment doesn't

If a building doesn't have a road it's just a simple #x#. the first # is the shorter side.

House: 1x2
Pub: 1x3
Apartment: 2x3
Hacienda: 3x5

If there is a road imagine flipping the building so the road is pointing down. the building is always above the road. r.x.y is the formula. r just means road. x is the length of the side with the road, for y, count the squares from the left to right until you get to the square the road is on.

Parking lot: 1x3r1.1 (Road is on 1 square side.)
Logging camp 2x3r3.1 (Road is on 3 square side, far left square)
Steel Mill 2x4r4.4 (Road is on 4 square side, far right square)

p is power required.

Cannery: 3x3r3.3 p90 (3 long square, road on far right square, 90 power)

So try and guess what this building looks like:

?????: 3x6r6.4 p110

[_|_|_|_|_|_]
[_|_|_|_|_|_]
[_|_|_|_|_|_]
...........R

Vehicle Factory, 110 power

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finished my Footprint guide!
Post it anywhere you want and don't worry about crediting me, I don't care.

Image:

(the text in the graphic is gone in the image but there in the file)

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 28, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Or, you know, jeeps for the barracks. Pretty sure by 1970 no soldier crosses half the country on foot for deployment.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We literally know there's going to be DLC that addresses this.

I miss having the cabinet you get in Tropico 4.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Unfortunately that leaves it to the mercy of the teamsters. Personally I like to keep the old ranches. Tropico is for free range animals, free range crops and limited free range tropicans.

The real communist propaganda in Tropico is that the teamsters have more power than el Presidente.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had a 92% approval rating. 6 rebels attack. I offer amnesty with 95% approval and no faction below good standing. 12 rebels attack. I think it's just hard coded to generate rebels if you don't have democracy.

My biggest pet peve is having like 18 unemployed illiterates and 20 open jobs for illiterates. You can either be poor on social security or well off with a job. There isn't a single poor paying job on the island. :rant:

• Locked thread