Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tropico 4 did a lot of subtle things right. I think it was great giving each and every faction or world presence a portrait and identity. That and its mini-quest system kept you on your toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nah, Tropico 4 was more than a mere cash-in. It was a refinement. Most of the basic buildings may have been the same but they added in a ton of little things like all the faction leaders, mini-quests, Modern Times' stuff and upgradeable traits. What they added in was, essentially, stuff that kept the game fresh even on repeat plays.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Beartaco posted:

And it had an amazing campaign mode with those faction leaders. All 3 had was Juanito.

Exactly, the campaign mode was wonderful. Which reminds me, I really need to finish that LP.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'd preorder, but the Mac version is a few months away, soooo…yeah. Gonna have to sit back and let everyone else have their fun first.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's not like Tropico is the sort of game that has DLC to add more to the game, it's just cheats.

You can't say Plantador is anything but a cheat.

I dunno, it has downsides, you can't EAT the food the plantations make. I think the DLCs in Tropico 4 were balanced.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm reminded of the Tropico 4 mission where to rise to prominence, you have to find a way for Europe to consider your island a colony, and artificially revolt to get international support as a sovereign nation. It was very silly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This would explain the mad scientist you get in Tropico 4: Modern Times...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So why was TotalBiscuit on an NDA about talking about the later eras of the game? Are there UFO buildings you can unlock?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Poil posted:

I... lost in a tutorial mission. The game told me to win the election and provided nothing useful to do so and started the election at 30% approval. And the only way to try again is to replay all the tutorials way back to the this is how you move the camera one. :psyduck:

Hah! This is a good thing, I think, because people were complaining about the lack of election difficulty.

Back Hack posted:

I like how there is a to point to building country homes instead houses now; homes have their own garden which provides food to it's residents, which is perfect for when your setting up far away mines and logging camps.

Really? Nice. I always just used bunkhouses for my miners, are those in?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

It's pretty good so far. A few things I like are the way they structured up wealth levels as broke, poor, well-off, rich and filthy rich. This lets you control to some extent where people live, for example by creating a cluster of houses and increasing the budget to set the wealth requirement to rich. This lets me create quarters where the wealthy übermenschen live, with their collges and luxury entertainment, while the poories live in farm towns with a clinic and a bar. This actually works because you can set it so that only the wealthy vote and this way you'll only have to worry about their happiness (and beat down the poor rebels with your middle class soldiers).

This game is fun :D

Wow, a capitalist plutocracy! Now that's opression!

Still can't play this game until they release the Mac version of it…but it sounds fun!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wait, we traded car gridlock for ship gridlock? Why? What was wrong with dumping everything you have once every six months?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They still don't have the Mac version of this out, won't for a few months: no more gender-restricted jobs? Woo!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Supervillain DLC, is that a counterpoint to the old Superhero DLC for 4? Haha.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They don't have prisons? Then what do you do with crime? (Do people turn into Professional Criminals as a job in Trop 5?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I thought the cabinet in 4 was completely pointless. Just let me use the drat edicts without paying $20 a month per minister, dammit.

At least the cabinet had functions in addition to being a roadblock to edicts. (Depending on its setting, it could sway votes, prevent rebels or make people educate faster.)

• Locked thread