Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I am in for a 4-pack copy. http://steamcommunity.com/id/misterperez/

I put 80 hours in each of Tropico 3 and 4. Just the best chill game to watch stuff expand and watch tv in the background with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I sent him money, he got me Tropico 5 muy rapido. Thanks! Now the waiting game begins.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Three years into my sandbox and

:sigh:

That said I'm having a lot of fun with it. Can't wait to get through a full game.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

So I just got done a full sandbox game on the default settings.

Music doesn't change per era, none of the songs have lyrics. Music is nice for what it is but a big step down to the awesome Tropico 3/4 soundtracks.

You can get rebels from people being either homeless or unemployed. Having 90% approval and 60%+ happiness in all categories doesn't mean anything to the few individuals who somehow are without, so they become rebels. You can give amnesty but only if a "Rebel Leader" is among the rebels. I usually kill them first so it ends up making people who are rebels stay rebels with no way for me to bring them back into the citizen fold. :shrug:

Money is slow for first two eras but later eras it was Tropico-4-levels of money producing like mad. Factions are slightly more difficult to please but still completely manageable when you're rolling in money by then.

Battles are fun! They seem to be randomized in terms of how many aggressors you can expect. My first revolution had 5 infantry squads attack me, my next 2, then again 5. Rebels being able to spawn anywhere on the island means all the defences from foreign powers I setup near the palace were useless and lost a lot of my outlying buildings before my troops could arrive.

There is once again a hardcap on the population and it's a total of 2015. Doesn't matter if you get more immigrants from quests or anything to that effect but they will always get back down to 2015, which is lovely because at that population I had covered 2/5 the island with stuff and had tons of money to expand. I had 200 empty job positions and 13 unemployed with no possible way to get more. I guess playing on a huge map isn't the best until someone releases another uncapped population mod like in Tropico 4.

All my complaints aside I am having tons of fun with it and I'm excited to keep replaying on sandbox over and over with steadily harder settings and new setups/islands. Worth the $25 I spent. I'd want to see better music come in, keybindings to be able to camera pan with WASD instead of having to use an autohotkey workaround because that's stupid, and the option to ally with no one and fight both the Allies and Axis :getin:

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm definitely holding out until a big sale, but I have a few questions.

How is the overall difficulty in sandbox mode compared to 3 and 4? How are traffic jams?

I had a maxed out population city going in sandbox.

I noticed no traffic issues whatsoever other than occasional slight backups. Nothing like the gridlock you could get in Tropico 4. I believe there was even an edict in Modern Times era to encourage commuting by carpooling or just making people walk more than drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

You get side missions for new dynasty members, and in theory you get sidequests for existing dynasty members, but I have no idea if that actually makes them any better at what they do.

One of my Dynasty members kidnapped the pope and now has than on their biography. I've already reached a max level Dynasty member from just sending them off doing quests every time I can.

• Locked thread