Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Nothing like having your entire economy go offline because no one is bothering to haul the uranium from the mine (which has a full output!) to the nuclear power plant that is literally across the street. Traffic had been tying up my distribution network but I'd just gotten the metro system running and arrrrrrrrrgh.

Good thing it was late in the campaign and the island got nuked minutes later. It was almost a relief.

I would really like more options for storage. It's the perfect sort of thing to add to research and trigger game events from. Each era and resource have their own building needs... silos for grains, cheese production for milk (plus food variety!), smokehouses for meat, warehouses for raw materials and manufactured goods, refrigerated warehouses for perishable goods... So many options are there. I know art assets aren't free and getting too fine-grained would be infuriating as well, but that's really the most glaring system that is missing from an otherwise great upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Tropico 5 is, to me, a game with a lot of great ideas to shake up the formula but not enough iteration time to get them working.

I love the era system, but they didn't set it up so buildings can work differently in different eras (except through additions). Nearly every colonial era building is too good after the colonial era. High schools don't ever get better even though modern economies seem to be built on a higher proportion of graduates than is possible. Imagine if you could convert your colonial fortress into a cold war tourist attraction, or a modern 5-star hotel?

The wealth system is much simpler to deal with than the old dollar-based economy, but you can't subsidize specific buildings to make them cost less to live in.

The trade route system is a great idea, and it makes trade an integral part of your faction standings web. However, it encourages building more docks, and the more docks you have the more horribly your teamsters and ships path, which slows your economy.

Powering your island isn't just a matter of plonking down a bunch of windmills. You need to manage the resources and personnel that run your power plants. Of course, this means that if your teamsters suddenly decide they don't want to deliver coal to the power plant across the street, your economy collapses completely.

Management skills for your building managers are pretty great, but aside from your own family the way to get better managers is never really explained.

I was actually more engaged through the campaign than I ever was in the previous games, but sandbox mode just isn't very fulfilling.

So forth and so on. I want to love the game but I only like it. Maybe it'll be better in time, as the global economy stabilizes. Or if they add resource storage.

• Locked thread