Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Probably. The german video showed a few buildings, some of which are new. Some of which were also pretty drat modern, too, so I doubt there is any "hidden" buildings in the screenshot... So there probably isn't to much new stuff.

Looks kind of like it'll be the Tropico 3->4 expansion for 4, with the added "bonus" that to get all those upgrades for your buildings you not only need educated citizens and power, but also time/research. Yay.

But there is multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Speedball posted:

Nah, Tropico 4 was more than a mere cash-in. It was a refinement. Most of the basic buildings may have been the same but they added in a ton of little things like all the faction leaders, mini-quests, Modern Times' stuff and upgradeable traits. What they added in was, essentially, stuff that kept the game fresh even on repeat plays.

Agreed. It'd be nice if the Tropico series followed a few others and gave you a discount if you owned a previous entry, just to avoid it feeling like you bought the same game with slightly more paint, though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It's still due to be out two weeks from now, dude. We'll probably get a bit more press by then.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

primelaw posted:

Greenmangaming has a deal going on right now where you can preorder for $35.99, and if you use ALFIS4-GRATZ0-025GMG before Monday, you get another 25% off, bringing it down to $27

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/simulation/tropico-5/

This is by far the best deal you're going to get until the game goes on sale months down the line, so do this. Sadly my card doesn't allow GMG because it's British or something.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It's not like Tropico is the sort of game that has DLC to add more to the game, it's just cheats.

You can't say Plantador is anything but a cheat.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

e They've really added a lot of stuff. It's a lot bigger jump than 3 to 4.

Agreed, it's definitely sold me on it.

I like how they commented on the traffic jams but haven't added anything to stop them. Like, you know, highways or doublelaned roads or something.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

They did in the video.

Eras sadly aren't quite what you might expect. Colonial era lasts as long as you're a colony, then when you successfully revolt/buy out you enter the world war era. I don't remember how they said you got out of that but then the cold war era is advanced with either a space or nuclear program. The modern era is infinite.

So it's more of a tech tree thing like a RTS then the actual passage of time itself. Or at least, that's what the dev-preview implied. I suppose this means you could have a colonial nation and a modern one on the same island in multiplayer if you managed it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I like a lot of what I'm seeing, but also hate a lot of what I'm seeing. Well dislike.
I always liked the idea that you were a crappy struggling banana republic. What the gently caress is any tiny little Caribbean tinpot dictator doing with a full aircraft carrier? I know it makes having air support easy but would just having an airbase building be that much harder? A lot of poo poo in the game just seems out of place for the setting and scale, like the skyscrapers I mentioned before too. They seem so out of place, no one was ever building buildings like that in the region, let alone in some tiny 100-person colony. Obviously poo poo is abstracted to hell but it just throws any sort of believability to the scale out the window. Do the models really need to be so tall? Do those buildings actually have occupancy or employment that much larger than other buildings or did the devs just think it looked cool?

I really hope the game is a bit easier (ie possible) to mod vs previous tropicos. So much of what was wrong with previous games could have so easily been fixed with simple mods. Decrease the value of this and that, increase the capacity of this and the cost of that.

It's a silly game that's extremely tongue in cheek. And entirely optional this time, unlike four where upgrading is mandatory. Why wouldn't El Presidente have the best in the world, anyway?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

More to the point they removed a fair amount of customization options, or at least didn't port/remake them.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It did, but that's not what I was referring to. The trait system is obviously fairly replaced, but the actual content for physical appearances are less. The Total Biscuit video has him murmuring about it for like twenty minutes because he's a idiot, but he's kinda right.

It's all small stuff for a negligible portion of the game, tho.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Gotta say the new almanac is really a step down from 3-4. I have no idea how to appease factions or nations outside of quests, now, and even stuff like happiness seems to be a lot more "Oh geez no entertainment throw taverns!"

Still, the rest of it is pretty solid. I wish trade wasn't quite so random, though. Focused on cigars and tobacco and the fucks only want tobacco every now and then and shirts, but never cigars. :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The game doesn't tell you this expect rarely in a semi-monthly event listing, but if you're in the red you accumulate in the unrest.

Which explains why I kept getting coups.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I've seen a screenshot that shows there is a time one, but it must be like 2020 or something.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

And to be blunt, from a profitability standpoint, an import economy focusing on high-end goods is the way to go.

How's that work? I'd think that the expense of factories and the need for high schoolers would make that pretty difficult to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I've found that making a off-split surrounded by ranches is a rather easy thing to make self-efficient. You can leave a space between the building and the road and have 2 or 3 tiles left inbetween, perfect to line with self-sufficient country houses, a garage and a tavern to keep them happy. Only thing they need is some teamsters to come through every now and then.

• Locked thread