Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Darkhold posted:

Yeah logging camp + mines were already a money printing press and they have a much quicker return than a plantation anyway. You could always go from them straight to industry and skip cash crops altogether if you wanted to.

The DLC didn't break the game any more than it was already broken.

For complete :effort: way to easy money you can drop one of modern times inexhaustible mines on gold vein as the first move. As sandbox Tropico 4 is ridiculously easy, that's why every mission puts in some restrictions and/or throws nasty events at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Vittek posted:

Ok I'm a first time Tropico player so everything is new to me. I seem to grasp everything but the trade routes. I see I can import/export stuff, but why do I get offers to export stuff I don't even have? What happens when I send a ship on that route, will it just ship empty?

And do the ships automatically ship off all the goods you produce on the island without you being able to stop/control it?

Sorry if those are some newbie questions.

Ships do indeed ship everything off the island, Tropico doesn't have a storage building, all goods must be in output or input queues so if you produce any extra, not consumed by other buildings it'll be brought to docks and sold with next ship.
The trades are just special offers that'll take goods with typically better prices and effect on reputation. You can add a trade for stuff you don't have for example when you intend to build it and don't want the offer to disappear, they change regularly but if you accepted it stays for 10 years.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Jintor posted:

I saw a generic manager with two stars once. I have no idea how they got that way.

When you fire a manager from building and hire him again elsewhere he gets second star. Maybe you can keep it up until he's 5-star. Or maybe he heeds to work for sometime in the building to get second star when he's fired.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Speaking of electrification, do power plants use the same amount of coal/natural gas no matter the demand? If so, what if they’re not fully staffed?

They produce less power when understaffed, don't know if they spend same amounts of coal on that.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I just attempted to do an "Atlas Shrugged" island with only the needs of the island's richest inhabitants seen to. But it didn't work because apparently Kalypso programmed this game so that among the Rich Tropicans (who were my only voters), there were far more Communists than Capitalists. I lost the election because the Rich Communist voters hated me. This seems like the exact opposite of how it should be.

It's not that they hate you, each of them just thinks he or she would be a better president. :D
To make it work you probably need to social engineer your population harder to be capitalists. Or go around and fire communists from well-paying jobs(hm, can you still fire people from the building screen like in T4? never did it in T5), this doesn't cause unrest like banishing/killing but disqualifies them from voters.

• Locked thread