Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think that instead of the weird eras system, it would have been better for the game to stay focused on the 50s-80s Cold War and flesh that out more. As it is now, you have features being arbitrarily locked out at the beginning and aesthetics that are all over the place (like pilgrim styled colonists with steam-powered ships, or musket armed infantry in the twentieth century).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
In a demonstration of El Presidente's glorious power, he has caused a downtown tavern to levitate. :science:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Eugh. We had that in spades between the three good Tropico games. I'm honestly glad they didn't just make 4.5, although I agree with you that they could do more with the game aesthetically.

I never wanted 4.5 either. There's a huge amount of potential in terms of adding gameplay depth and fleshing out the setting within the Cold War period. I would be all for the series exploring other time frames, but unfortunately, in both 4 and 5 there's just no meat to the time periods outside of the Cold War. The royal mandate system and seeking independence in the colonial era are interesting ideas, but the period lacks any real depth and ends up just serving as a tutorial. Meanwhile, the World Wars era doesn't seem to have anything to distinguish it aside from the names "the Allies" and "the Axis" replacing "USA" and "USSR". If you're not going to really do anything with these other settings, then don't do them.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Palleon posted:

I just hope a patch drastically increases tank speeds so they aren't slower than infantry.

It would also probably be best if they decreased the number of tanks to 1 or 2 per squad, because they are constantly clip through each other. Like, I've never seen a tank squad not look all screwy.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Speaking of Professional Military, does anyone know how much more effective it is than either option with uneducated soldiers? It's always a big drain on my industry, using up so many high school educated workers, but I can't shake my older Tropico habit of needed educated soldiers.

Professional army is not even remotely worth it. Even if you absolutely need every bit of military power, you're still better off with conscription/militia because the greater industrial capacity will allow you to build more bases.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tehan posted:

Those drat rebels were shooting at my dudes and trying to blow up my palace literally five minutes ago and I know their names and their family and where they live and I am looking at them and all I can do without incrementing my very own apocalypse clock is shake my fist ineffectually at the screen :arghfist::smith:

This is not the power-mad dictator experience.

It's a bit disappointing that the previous games were so easy there was never any reason to become an oppressive dictator, but now that there are reasons to be an oppressive dictator, there is no means to become one.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ray and Shirley posted:

Still on the fence about this one. I'm most interested in the political simulation. Is this aspect richer than the previous titles? Also, detailed information on just how dynasties work/impact the game seems hard to come by - at least from the LPs I've been watching. Can anyone point me to more detailed coverage of this info?

Frankly I worry that this is just another money grab like with Tropico 4.

Tropico is above all else a city builder. There's a little bit of political factions and foreign powers, but it's super easy to manage and really exists for flavor more than actual gameplay. As far as dynasties go, it basically takes the detail put into just El Presidente in the previous games and spreads it thin across a half dozen people. Every dynasty member gets a trait when they emerge that gives a bonus to the whole of Tropico and the building they manage, and it levels up 5 times from rare events and from your Swiss bank account. You're probably not finding detailed information on how dynasties work because there isn't much need for detailed information: it's really simple and there's not much to it.

I wouldn't say that Tropico 5 is a money grab like 4 was. What it is, however, is a really simplified Sim City where you make pretty cities with some (pretty good, I might add) humor thrown in. I like it, even though it still falls really short of its potential. I'd say wait for a sale.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

Considering the shallow depths of SimCity 2013 this is probably the better city builder.

Note that when I say Sim City I'm talking about the good ones, such as 4. Sim City 2013 doesn't exist. :ninja:

PirateBob posted:

Soo.. there seems to be only 2 islands in the entire game... :negative: What the gently caress? Has there been a comment from the devs about why?

There's only two islands in the campaign, there's a bunch more in sandbox mode.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I really wish there was an indication of what the "vicinity" of a building is.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The AI for military is pretty annoying at times:

Look at this poo poo. A single pirate squad invaded and they're completely ignoring my guard towers in order to try to get at a plantation that's super far away. The worst thing is that all my squads aren't going to fight the pirates but they're going to the targeted plantation to wait for them.

Edit: I'd probably use towers more if they didn't always look so out of place. I'm really amazed they didn't have it update to some modern tower look like you see in the barracks and army bases once you get out of the colonial era.

Edit 2: I wish the game autosaved more often or allowed you to adjust how often the game autosaved, because Tropico 5 crashes a bit too often (and of course it always crashes when I haven't saved for a good while).

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 4, 2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Psygnosis posted:

I'm having a couple of problems...
In the colonial era I have a bit of trouble raising revolutionary sentiment. I follow all the quests and I'm always sure to either tell the crown to give me more time or to get more revolutionaries shipped over. Getting the required amount of approval is difficult. I usually end up running out of time even with mandate extensions.

Afterwards the World War era is fine but, afterwards during the cold war era my entire economy comes crashing down in spite of doing little else but progressing the era forward. What am I doing wrong?

Well, for getting more revolutionary approval, I believe it is linked to your people's happiness. While some things like healthcare are impossible to satisfy since you can't build clinics yet, keep an eye on the factors that you can improve. Make sure you have enough taverns, Catholic missions, and housing. You can also build some mansions for your more affluent citizens for extra happiness.

As for the Cold War economy, you'll probably have to supply some more specific information, but here are some of the things that can potentially go wrong. Be careful that your infrastructure is able to support your economy: make sure that you have enough teamsters and docks to transport goods and look at your roads to see if they are congested and, if so, try to see how you might build other paths that might improve that. Also, make sure that your docks aren't too close together, as that can quickly lead to ships bumping into each other and taking forever to progress. You might not have enough educated citizens to staff your buildings; some things that can impede this is upgrading to buildings like hydroponic farms, which need high school instead of illiterate workers, and having a professional army, which makes all soldiers need high school education (never have this, as it will suck lots of educated citizens out of your economy for a negligible gain). Finally, did you do a good amount of industrializing during the world wars era? I like to get either a rum distillery or cigar factory, depending on resources and trade offers, pronto in that era as they mean big loving money. Before the world wars era ends I like to build all available industry, provided I have the resources.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Decrepus posted:

I'm not really interested in the campaign and enjoy the sandbox a lot (although I haven't been playing much). Can I still grow a dynasty and rank up in a long sandbox game or no?

Sure. Most of the ranking up comes from your Swiss bank account, of which you can certainly build up a lot in a long sandbox, and a few events. You're unlikely to get the full number of dynasty through just a single sandbox game, however. I'm most of the way through the campaign and my dynasty roster still isn't full, although I have retired a few guys because I didn't like their abilities.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I don't think I've ever done any electrifying of any living quarters in Tropico 5. Between having landlord managers in denser residential areas and having religious buildings upgraded with community aid I've never found housing quality to be at all a problem.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Zhentar posted:

So today I learned you can lose from a Tsunami. Presumably that means it destroyed my palace. What the loving gently caress? There is absolutely nothing I could do to plan for or mitigate that. I don't even get to choose where to put my palace! Why the gently caress would they put in a random "you lose, haha!" in a strategy game?

I'd imagine that probably wasn't intended and was most likely a bug or oversight. At least I'd hope so.

On that topic, however, I really do wish the game would allow the player to hand place the palace and initial buildings. I always end up having to destroy most of them because they get in the way of my planned road grids. (:spergin:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Though honestly for people that haven't played the series I'd suggest 4 instead. 4's basically a carbon copy of 3 but "tuned up". Better writing, better graphics, great cast, no Betty Boom. So if you don't already have 3, go play 4.

Hey man, Betty Boom is one of the series' best characters. :colbert: I thought she was pretty funny with how her ideology was just to be entirely contrary to El Presidente no matter what. Juanito was also pretty great.

• Locked thread