Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Count me in as well

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Gyrobot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Sedisp posted:

Nazi scientists flee to you after the war is over?

Actually, generals, scientists, politicians come to your island. You either let them in and piss off Russia and the US or send them back to Berlin and Rome as floating corpses. If you had decided to choose the losing side you can pay up or they invade since they are saving it for Japan

And if you ask, you are simply buying the old carriers, slap a new coat of paint, replace 40's electronics with Chinese electronics and a new engine. Tropican engineering will find a way! Tropican research isn't so much as making new discoveries but reading enough science magazines that you get a rough idea of what you are doing.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

You mean piss off the US and Russia for poaching the talent they wanted to hire? It was an all-out head-hunting recruitment fair after the war.

Whoops, forgot the dark comedy nature of Tropico to forget that the Russians and US are hungry as well. Also, this is a reference to Mengele since he managed to evade the authorities and live out a cushy life in the islands until he bought it.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, the new lady DJ sounds kinda like Betty Boom, only not as stupid. Penultimo II's VA is growing on me. I loved his dorky lovableness in 4, but 5's Penultimo develops own sort of dignified dorkyness once you get out of the tutorial. He sounds like a right hand man that can actually get things done while still not a threat at all to El Presidente's rule.

Also, I managed to actually LOSE the election in the tutorial. :v:

"His magesty wants to exchange wood for sheep. Wood for sheep anyone?" I was not expecting a Cataan joke in Tropico.

She is like a mix between Sunny and Miss Pineapple. Even men in Tropico have standards in term of women who throw themselves around.

Also Betty now has an arch nemesis in the form of Veronica Veneno. The girl is a complete 1% tool that Betty would shoot first before El Presidente.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Poil posted:

For some reason it feels like construction workers slow way down later on as the island grows. Even with no traffic congestion and 3-4 constructors it took forever to build anything, like Tropico 4 slow once I had 800+ people.

Also the radio host is a less annoying Janito but nowhere near as good as Penultimo jr and Sunny. Part of it is because they had a lot more people talking too, like miss Pinaple (attempted murder of a classmate - spanking. Successful murder of a classmate - spanking).
And holy poo poo Lulu's comment when you build a chocolate factory. :stare:

A bit disappointing that the capitalist woman is also representing the industrialists and globalists. Same with the girl in charge of the communists, environmentalists and nationalists. Lost out on all the colorful faction leader characters. Would've been so much better if there had been separate people like in Tropico 4 and that they had simply introduced themselves and their factions when you reached a new age. :(

Still. Veronica Veneno can give Betty Boom a run for her money. We needed a corporate tool to offset Betty's I hate everything.

Lulu is a dumber version of Miss Pineapple with none of her charm.

And funny enough Comrade Vasquez shares the same surname as Evira. Wonder if it is father and daugyter or Husband and wife?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Lulu can really be described as a far less intolerable, almost funny Betty Boom that actually likes El Presidente (and anything supporting her bar). Seriously, I liked Juanito but Betty just made me grind my teeth because she really was not funny or entertaining at all. It was nothing more than "bitch bitch bitch. I don't care what you're doing this week, I don't like it."

With Sunny and Penultimo playing off of each other, and the entire voice cast of 4 making cameos in the radio messages, it really brought 4 alive. 5 is still a very, very good game and still has way more personality than almost every other city builder out there. It just kinda stings to see them falling back to a less vibrant cast of characters even with 4's writing still backing them.

The fact that they double up advisers is frustrating too. I can see the King's Caribbean magistrate being your diplomatic envoy and adviser, that kinda works, but then he also becomes your religious adviser? The rebel girl also being the Communist adviser/party leader makes senses as well, but then she's also the environmental adviser who wants me to destroy all my factories. The new Penultimo does a lot, but then he's also your right hand man so it makes sense (even though Miss Pineapple would be soooo much better for your research talking head).

Apparently Mrs/Miss Vasquez takes after Comrade's whole "for the people" angle too far. The good news is she isn't as zealous as her sister in arms Betty Boom. Now I am utterly convinced Moreno and Boom are dating, they are like an unholy duo of rebel harpies.

Well if Kalypso can get the talking heads of Miss Pineapple it would be nice. Although having everything laced with innuendo may be as stale as Penultimo's stupidity but this may become a DLC.

But Veronica and Elvira really should have made some announcements talking about how you angered the foreign powers in their typical behavior.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

These things would be really nice, especially #1. I was looking all around for a way to stop exporting my coal because my power plants were running dry but I couldn't find any.

I'm having a blast though. Good game so far. I like the eras thing, and I also like that while all the modern apartments are the same looking there's at least some incentive to not just immediately upgrade everything to modern apartments ASAP like in Tropico 4.

Although it's 2020, my happiness is at around 80-85, I get at least 75% or more of the vote in every election, I have free elections and never cheat, and yet rebels are constantly attacking! Idgi why are they so mad at me :(

I've started banishing their leaders but that seems to make it worse.

You got a little unrest meter. Get too personal action heavy and you will face an uprising. A democracy lets you banish and kill as much as you want.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Magni posted:

Hmmm, what button do I press...

The writing is just great overall again, though I do miss all the faction heads and Penultimo doing the radio with them. The new radio host isn't all bad though; I kinda like her bubbly optimism.

She is like an uneducated Miss Pineapple. And Veneno is a nice counter to the abuse from Betty Boom.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

SubNat posted:

Taking another round through, I'm pretty sure all the DLC buildings are in the files somewhere, although most of them don't have anything more than a placeholder.

Future buildings to look forwards to.

Unsure which DLC they're related to:
Police Blimp
Ranger Corps
Asylum
Bathysphere
Security Checkpoint
Spy Academy
Supermax Prison
Smugglers Dock
Dungeons
Drone Control
Fast Food Joint
Fishing Trawler.
Giant Laser
Glass Bottom Restaurant
Inquisition
Mechanized Garrison
Nuclear Submarine
Offshore Office
Oil Platform
Oyster Farm

Creamery (dlc2, Cheese making plant, it seems? )

Dolphinarium (dlc6, )

DefenceHQ ( The Hexagon :allears: ) ( dlc 7)

Gone Green DLC?
Tidal Power Plant
Wind Farm
Recycling Plant

It honestly looks like the DLCs contain multiple buildings each, for different eras.
Atleast, it seems far more promising than just 1 building + something else.

e: Still. DUNGEON. Hopefully it's as good as it sounds.
e2: + the Supercomputer, of course.

With the oyster farm i assume it is more productive if the ocean is polluted. After all the taste is with the chemicals.

Creamery seems to be a t2 or t3 milk related structure.

Ranger corps maybe be a military structure with faster troopers.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Is it just me, or has the Intellectuals faction ceased to exist? It's kind of weird because there's a place in the ideological system they would fit perfectly - namely, diametrically opposed to the Religious faction, like they were in previous games - but the Militarists are slotted in there instead.

They have gone to the Globalists faction. World peace and understanding

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah the uprising is more "arab spring" than "cuban revolution". Bunch of mobs appear and start loving poo poo up; they will outnumber your military, they will win.

Gun Towers are you best friend in the problem. They rip through single militia squads in an instant.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
It gives you a steady source of income and less ship clogging

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=24113

Also the modders at kalypso deciphered the dlcs and sadly we are getting a case of witheld content

-Fast food restaurants requires electricity but gives you an affordable restaurant for lower prices

-Creamery is ofc a t2 milk industry building

-Computer mainframe produces research points

-Fortresses provides you with troops and a free gun tower.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Poil posted:

On a sale, yes. Otherwise, probably not.

The best building is the cheese dlc, and the worst is probably the asylum because I can't even tell if it's actually working or not and it requires a lot of educated workers. Its mission is definitely the most annoying and unfun too (even despite Penultimo Sr going crazy and humming the BKatman theme). Overall the missions are kinda average but they're not bad.

In my biased opinion:
The cheese factory is available the whole game and makes :10bux: from milk. Very useful.
The asylum slowly gives you more managers and supposedly provides minimum healthcare? It also removes the penalty from using discredit. In case you ever use that.
The defense hq does... something? But it does provide a squad of quality infantry.
The fastfood restaurant provides a small and fairly cheap way to entertain people. Kinda crappy capacity and you can't build it until modern times. Slightly better quality and more customers per worker than the regular restaurant.

The fast food joints really works well with slums with the church. 40 Housing Satisfaction bonus is a nice thing to have.

The Prison also overrides your democracy principles which lets you issue the death penalty in the prison yard

• Locked thread