Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm gonna wait for a Steam sale. I played Omerta and between that and the Tropico 3->4->Modern Times progression I have little faith in the developers to design a good game. The only feature that doesn't sound like a slapped together mess is the eras/building unlocking thing, and even then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

I still to this day don't understand why they made the game so easy. Why not have the difficulty sliders mean something? Set everything to super simple/easy and it's like normal tropico. Set everything to hard and maybe actually get a hard game? It's like they built the game around it being hard but then at the last moment made exports worth a fortune and every faction love you no matter what.

It's just poorly balanced, or designed so that even the worst player gets a nice pat on the back.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wow, I cranked the difficulty all the way up in sandbox and actually lost an election.

The eras mechanic is alright, but I feel like I'll get annoyed with the progression grind since there's only so much you can do as a colony. At least you can skip that era in sandbox.

No more gendered jobs, which is nice. Now that the game is tangibly harder they don't need artificial difficulty like that.

Pay and rent have both been abstracted, so that each worker gets placed in a category like poor, well-off, rich, etc. Which makes it easier than the old trick of paying all your people in multiples of 3 to make rent control and housing exclusion easy to calculate.

I feel like this is a bigger step than between 3->4. It kind of feels like a different game that just shares all the same concepts.

canepazzo posted:

When in sandbox, are the era shifts inevitable? Could I stay indefinitely in (say) Colonial, provided I can get my mandate renewed, or do I eventually have to declare independence as there's no more mandates extensions?

I think they prod you along eventually by warning you in an event that mandate years will be harder to get. Dunno if that's true or not but it got close for me when I was trying to see how long I could go as a colony.

There just isn't enough to do in colonial era to want to keep me playing there. I guess that's an obvious DLC candidate.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Am I being dumb? I can't find out how to look up the current price of goods in the almanac.

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

This whole idea that they needed to tie docks to boats is outright insanity.

No this part makes sense to restrict import abuse, which made Tropico 4 trivially easy. I think it's just the collision detection + AI + concentrating all of your docks on one little corner of your island.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hambilderberglar posted:

Anyone have any examples of more "natural" looking urban planning?

If you're going from colonial->modern, start in the colonial era with smaller blocks (no more than 8x8) on a grid with important buildings recieving special highlights, and especially a plaza in a cental location such as right in front of the palace. I like the look of an 8x8 block with mansions around the edges and four large gardens inside. Put gardens everywhere. Concentrate all of your development in a small area then grow outward, not placing curvy roads until the modern era. This should simulate the look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_the_Indies#Examples:_town_planning

My current sandbox island has an 'old town' with a plaza in front of the palace and a strip of gardens cutting through blocks from the palace gates to the gate of a colonial fort. To one side I have middle class housing district and the industrial district/dockyards further away. To the other side is government buildings, nice leafy streets for rich people, and the 'new town' of curvy roads and skyscrapers. Behind the palace are more middle/lower class housing and farms stretching out to a couple of rural villages. The old town has a rigid gridiron street pattern with random alleyways, the new town conforms to the geography and has nice curvy streets.

e: When you first start the game, lay out a street grid. It's way easier to make a nice looking town by filling out a grid rather than trying to impose order on an organic jumble of buildings.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 27, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hambilderberglar posted:

I'm trying to achieve what you more or less describe with a semi authentic looking old town centered around the palace and the colonial/great war buildings of prominence, with some suitable housing and civic buildings jammed in there. When you say alleyways do you mean purposefully dead-ended streets or just vacant lots of greenery?

Random odd streets breaking up the boring grid without compromising it. And I usually just ring my plaza area with fancy colonial/WW era stuff for that authentic old city feel.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guildencrantz posted:

This sounds really cool. I'm really dumb at planning and always quit in city builders because nothing looks like I wanted it to :downs: Do you have screenshots of that island?

I just rerolled the island because I burned through all my minebles in the world war era.

http://i.imgur.com/cuZTRld.png

Three forts because I wanted to fight for independence. Left fort will be torn down for industry. Center fort will stay. Right fort will eventually become rich people and offices town. You can see a village going up in the rear. I'm going to put banks and embassies behind the palace. Here is a detail of the central plaza.

http://i.imgur.com/x6HHBfo.png

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone know of any quick "Tropico For Beginners" vids? This is my first Tropico game, and the amount of info on everything is a bit overwhelming. I get the basic mechanics of the game, but the meta-game of what to build when, what stuff is a priority and what isn't, and keeping people happy is still new to me. The last (and only) real strategy game I ever spent serious time with was Anno 1404, and everything is a lot simpler and more streamlined in that game compared with Tropico.

Just focus first on things that make you money, then things that make people happy. You can check both from the almanac. Seriously check the almanac often, it gives you lots of information. At first, drop plenty of plantations to export cash crops. In the colonial era the only industry you have is Logs->Planks, which sell for as much as Cocoa. Exploit the trade menu as much as you can to get the best deals on your good, but nothing beats raw output.

In the World War era, you have access to either Cigar or Rum factories. Build whichever your island grows the most of, Tobacco or Sugar. Once you have a few of these you'll have a lot more money to screw around with.

Don't be afraid to go into debt. You can spend up to -$10k on buildings, and traditionally -$20k nets you budgetary caps and -$50k is a game over. I haven't gone that far yet, but you don't have to stop spending at $0 in your treasury.

A good first build order in colonial era is:

3-4 cash crop plantations - ideally cocoa, then if that's not viable grow tobacco, sugar, whatever.
1 food source - corn plantation or cattle ranch should do the trick.
4-6-? country houses, to shelter the people and provide them with food.
Grocery, mission, tavern, to meet the people's needs.
Mansions if you can afford it, to boost housing happiness. Either that or a Library to start research.

From there just check to see what your people are suffering from and build things to correct it. Or just be a brutal dictator and have enough military to fight off the rebels and not give a poo poo.

The main thing is not to neglect your core economic infrastructure - resources, factories, teamsters, docks, construction workers. Make sure you are producing or importing enough primary resources. Make sure that you have lots of factories to produce goods. Make sure you have plenty of teamsters to move the goods - click around and if you see lots of buildings with surplus output waiting to get picked up, build more teamsters. Make sure you have enough docks to attract frequent ships to sell your goods. And make sure you have enough construction workers to build structures within a few months.

Pay high wages if you're going the nice guy benevolent leader route. Higher wages leads to higher efficiency.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How are imports supposed to work? I had six ships importing iron to feed my steel mills but only ended up importing iron once every couple of years. I had plenty of money to pay for it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

Popular Thug Drink, in your above example what would probably happen is that your trade ship goes off on its voyage to get a bunch of iron. While your steel mill waits it sits not producing anything. Finally your ship arrives with a ton of iron, it sits around until a teamster delivers it to your steel mill. Oops a trade ship came in and sold the rest of the iron still at the dock. Ok time to wait for the next shipment.

That's what I thought was happening, but the import and export graphs for iron didn't correspond. I'd get spikes of imports years apart and the odd spike of export, but they never matched up in quantity. Either exports are bugged or large quantities of imports are going missing - maybe my crime lords are to blame?

I like the assigning ships mechanic but I suspect that it's buggy, or there is something else influencing it that isn't made explicit. I also had tons of exports piling up on my docks in stacks of 4500, which looks like it's waiting for a special export deal, except with goods I didn't have a trade deal for and were just hanging around for general sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I wouldn't call Trop5 bad, just underwhelming. The music is the worst of the series, some of the mechanics don't make any sense, and they clearly set up gaps to be plugged later with DLC. On the other hand, it's actually possible to lose now. I really like the changes to agriculture, I like the military system even if they made rebels way too obnoxious, and the trade route mechanic is neat even if the docks cause too much lag and congestion. I would recommend waiting for a year or so and buying the gold edition bundle when all the DLC is released.

• Locked thread