Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

As the old thread seems to have died, and the game is about a month away from being released (May 23rd), I figured there should be a thread about this game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lFkDgse2N4

quote:

Return to the remote island nation of Tropico in the next installment of the critically acclaimed and hugely popular ‘dictator sim’ series. Expand your Dynasty’s reign from the early colonial period to beyond the 21st Century, facing an all-new set of challenges, including advanced trading mechanics, technology and scientific research, exploration and for the first time in Tropico history – cooperative and competitive MULTIPLAYER for up to 4 players.

The Eras – Start your reign during colonial times, survive the World Wars and the Great Depression, be a dictator during the Cold War, and advance your country to modern times and beyond. From the 19th century to the 21st, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities.

The Dynasty – Each member of El Presidente’s extended family is present on the island and may be appointed as a ruler, a manager, an ambassador or a general. Invest in the members of your Dynasty to unlock new traits and turn them into your most valuable assets.

Research and Renovate – Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources. Renovate your old buildings to more efficient modern buildings.

Advanced trade system and trade fleet – Amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure trade routes to neighboring islands or world superpowers, both for export and import.

Explore your island – Discover what lies beyond the fog of war. Find valuable resource deposits and explore the ruins of ancient civilizations.

All new art – All artwork has been re-designed from scratch to provide Tropico 5 with a unique visual identity. Choose from over 100 buildings from each of the individual eras.

Cooperative and competitive multiplayer – Up to 4 players can build up their own cities and economies on any given island map. Players can choose to share resources, supplies and population or declare war on each other

Screenshots

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

In related news Tropico 4 is 85% off today on steam ($2.99).

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Apparently you can kinda control your army now. And have tanks crush protests Tiananmen style.

Yeah this is a bump...

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

But Not Tonight posted:

I played the last 2 and was a bit disappointed 4 was kind of a re-hash of 3. I'm hoping 5 introduces something fresh (beyond MP, which looks fun as heck) but even if they don't, I'm a sucker and will still buy it. :negative:

Trading looks like a good start though.

It looks like there is definitely a bigger jump from 4 to 5 than from 3 to 4. 4 seemed like a cash in.

I hope they make the political part a bit more complex and difficult. Really adding difficulty and challenges to the late game, where in previous Tropicos once you stabilized you were good forever, is pretty necessary. Providing reasons to actually be tyrannical would be cool, it was too easy to just be a good guy leader being reelected forever.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Davincie posted:

I like how it says all new art but still has the same old palace.

I don't think so.

palace on the left, with the flag

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah this is my #1 complaint about tropico, way too easy. Why even have all those despotic editcs and buildings when there is absolutely no reason to use them nor is there ever any serious threat? You basically have to master the game and really know your poo poo to finally learn how to even trigger any sort of real rebellions or challenges. There's zero political instability or challenge to the game and it feels like they just totally mis-judged the difficulty settings.

I hope there's actual hard choices and and challenge in 5.

Apparently the changes from the eras were done with the intention of constantly mixing things up, so you don't just reach profitability and then youre stable forever. We'll see.

In my last Tropico 4 game I did a sandbox with difficulty on everything set to max, never built houses so everyone lived in shacks. The only threat was a coup in the first decade, which I did have to alleviate by building a base so at least the soldiers lived ok. Otherwise I was perfectly safe. I wish playing like that (being a terrible dictator) required jailing the opposition and such.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Video of gameplay in German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl2NWrwj3MQ

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jolan posted:

Not that I can recall, but it's odd for a game to come out of an established studio in this day and age with so little PR.

I wonder if most of their sales are in Europe? They often seem to have a lot more German PR than English.

It is really weird though. Their website doesn't even mention Tropico 5.

http://www.worldoftropico.com/us/

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Multiplayer trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8szb0S1hUbQ

All it shows is that you can trade and fight each other.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Molotovs were used by soldiers during WWII, and that's an era in the game.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

If the game is actually difficult and the politics make a bit more sense (people can't be a communist and a capitalist at the same time, it's hard to balance everyone concerns, there are actual threats to your power, repression actually does something) and is otherwise pretty much a clone of 4 I'll be happy.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Here's an hour of gameplay

http://www.twitch.tv/kalypsomedia/c/4260717

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

About time, thanks! The video won't play for me though because it seems to be hosted on a potato or something rather than youtube :(

Also those super skinny skyscrapers look terrible and out of place.

Yeah, I don't get why they try and include skyscrapers so much. I never even bought the modern times expansion because all the buildings just look so out of place.

That said the game looks pretty good. There are a lot of new things. I like how you can directly send the army to crush protests or negotiate with them.

e They've really added a lot of stuff. It's a lot bigger jump than 3 to 4.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 16, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

More to the point they removed a fair amount of customization options, or at least didn't port/remake them.

The constitution seems like a replacement for leader traits.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Phanos posted:

So Ars Technica put out a review for Tropico 5 a few hours ago: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/05/tropico-5-review-empire-building-with-a-bit-too-much-guidance/

I can't say I'm too surprised that its a mixed bag. I didn't pre-order but now I'm a little hesitant to buy it.

This seems like an easy fix: ignore the quests. That's pretty much what I did in 4.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah, I've even had people vote for me in the election and then immediately pick up their rifle and run off into the jungle in the name of housing. They also have a much higher chance of doing it if their political faction hates you, even if they personally have no problems whatsoever. In my current sandbox game I've kind of been antagonizing the Religious faction a whole bunch, and so I'm seeing a lot of their supporters rebelling, even people who have jobs, houses, and access to all of their needs and wants.

Yeah I've been in pretty much a non-stop civil war with the religious the entire game. Playing on hard politics can be pretty hairy, especially when you have to martial law your way out of a losing election.

Rebels are a pain as they can strike and destroy stuff, making them stronger, before your army gets there. Which I guess is pretty accurate as far as guerrilla war goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mister Bates posted:

That's a Haitian flag. Also, wealth-based voting does make poor people more likely to rebel, but rich people generally don't give a poo poo. If you end up with rich Communists somehow they might have a problem with it, because the Communist faction hates Wealth Based Voting, but I haven't run across many rich Communists in my games so far.

e: The Secret Police rooted out a 'Royalist faction leader' in the 1960s. I'm not sure if it's a bug or if there's a secret conspiracy afoot to bring back Crown rule, but either way the 'faction' seems to consist entirely of this one guy.

Think it's a bug, I've found the Revolutionaries faction leader a couple of times outside of the Colonial Era.

• Locked thread