Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
As long as there's a sweet long soundtrack full of salsa and merengue this will be great. It could be pixel-for-pixel identical to 3 and 4 for all I care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Holding shift disables the snap-to, by the way.

What I wish Tropico had was a way to lay concrete. I really don't mind all the square buildings not fitting adjacent to my curvy roads but all the dirt and grass patches in my maze of concrete is an eyesore and I don't want to spend the time laying down trees and shrubs just for the 3x3 square of concrete they add. Just let me throw down a blanket of concrete!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Oh here's another tiny one I could use: a way to select more than one building at a time so that I can add a/c to my apartment buildings without developing RSI.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Posters in Games are generally ignorant of history.

Also, video games.

Besides, if El Presidente wants rocket launchers in the 18th century, he'll get rocket launchers in the 18th century.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I think you're missing the forst for the trees. Vanilla introduced imports. You can have post-scarcity after your first ship arrival.

The DLC and Modern Times are just more toys to play around with.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Build order to ruin Tropico 4 for everyone that tries it:

1 - Booze Baron
2 - Set unlimited import limits, import sugar
3 - Build a Rum Distillery right away, send El Presidente to motivate the construction site and the distillery after it completes.
4 - Find all High School and College educated peeps, fire them from their current jobs so they work at the distillery.
5 - First ship arrives and unloads sugar to process
6 - Second ship arrives and loads Rum and unloads sugar to process
7 - Instantly buy the distillery upgrade for spiced rum

From there just build more ports and more distilleries. You'll want between 2 and 2.5 ports for each distillery you have to keep them topped up.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Alkydere posted:

So far things I've noticed:
  • you can't build a college until the World War era (gaah)
  • 5 handles alt tabbing out a lot better than 4 (doesn't close every time like 4 does)
  • Penultimo got a new hat and moustache and voice actor. I miss the old Penultimo's VA already.

Good! Locking the Rum Distillery and higher education behind eras was a brilliant move for difficulty. Same with locking traits behind dynasties.

4 never gave me problems with this, ever. It alt-tabbed just as easily as 5.

I prefer the new VA.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It's even better than that, you can plop down your farm anywhere you want, you only require land for the building itself. The farm will fill out any space available. It works vice-versa too, if you want to slowly phase the farm out you can drop buildings on the plot and fire a few people.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Am I blind or stupid? I can't seem to find a page of going rates for goods exports. Did they get rid of this? Am I supposed to infer what crops are worth my time from the sporadic listings in the trade mission window?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mango puppy: mambo heavy. Cats, they have confetti!

I dig the new tunes but some lyrics to misinterpret while I wait for naval gridlock to end would have been nice.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

A note on trade is that if you check often, you can find some stupid good deals, like corn at $150 (Helllooo factory farms!) or steel at ~3500... Which you can then flip to the ruskies at ~6000.

How feasible is it to have a completely trade based economy, without producing much or anything for export? I've tried it once or twice but it seems my treasury just craters when the imports come in and never recover.

It works but if you started in the colonial era you'll need to shift slowly. Even if you're swimming in cash, it's easy to drain the reserves by buying and immediately exporting (dumbest mechanic in this game, by far) when you're getting setup and you have to watch your spending like a hawk so that you aren't in the red when your supply ships are trying to purchase import goods.

One of my two islands is in the world war era and produces 0 of its own raw goods. I have much more land to play around with and don't need to worry about cramming farms or building a residential outpost all the way over by that one gold mine.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Bloodnose posted:

What do you do with illiterate workers?

A policy of heavy fertility rates via clinic upgrades and mandates, free heavily subsidized education and catholic missions plopped right in the middle of shanty towns (All my country homes get upgraded into houses) topped with a creamy coating of Love it or Leave it immigration policy encourages an educated population in no time. Pay your uneducated jobs well, though, or you'll have a riot of the poors in less time.

You could banish them but that costs money and mouse clicks - this is a far lazier way to accomplish the same thing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Killing people causes more unrest? Dear god! Did you read what you typed?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

Does anything reduce corruption/unrest?

More army

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I've only ever been to Nassau and I usually design my islands around that place. It's a very grid-style urban downtown center where government, economy and education happen. The grid spills out a few blocks for residential and churches at which point it's all built inward from a highway that follows the coast profile where the inland road is so poorly designed that it's still faster to take the circuitous perimeter route.

poo poo looks great to me!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yes it's a well beaten horse by now, started by a horse wearing armour that you could beat. Let's not go there.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Incite them to battle and slaughter them?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You just said you had the tools. Just because the tools don't work like you want them to doesn't mean they're absent.

For the record this makes perfect sense, in what universe would a state leader acting as judiciary not piss everyone off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Am I missing something? I just read a page of people saying they made the difficulty better in 5 but I still just beeline to a shoreline full of rum distilleries and the game wins itself. The only challenge 5 offers me is fighting the teamster AI.

• Locked thread