Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Not sure if anyone else is still playing this (I'm getting around to the campaign) but had just one question.

Organic Edict + Old Farms vs. Factory Farms

and...

Housing: I one time had a poo poo ton of country homes set up and I'm ASSUMING they were supplying food to the citizens (I had very few groceries) So I saved up $100k and did a mass upgrade of all country homes to homes. Next thing... approval goes from 70% to 30% in, literally, 2 months.

Is this a food shortage thing or ... how do you guys do housing?

Malek fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Darkhold posted:

Did tons of people get thrown out of their houses when the upgrade raised rent above the wage level of a good portion of your populous?

If they did, I didn't notice the shacks... but if that's the case, holy poo poo that's hilarious.

That would explain why when I hit modern times I start tearing down country homes for modern apartments.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Darkhold posted:

Well if that's the problem you can help out by activating Mortgage Subsidies and if you still have homeless lower the upkeep until it lets the poor in (though that lowers the house quality terribly and should only be a temp fix while you get up some new cheap housing).

Also you can do a similar thing by mass upgrading farms and suddenly you won't have enough educated people to farm in the new buildings and kick off a starvation cycle.

I'll give this a shot. However Housing is my weakest point at about 40 (I build missions in the middle) until i get to apartments so I think this is really a minor thing. My approval has capped at 85% at times.
(EDIT) Thank you for the advice btw

Also, I REALLY REALLY want to try a co-op multiplayer game of this sometime.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Catalina posted:

Country Homes do provide food directly to the residents living there. That's why they have gardens! I booted up my game to double-check on this, and the description for Country houses reads: "Provides housing for 4 families. Provides food for the residents." When you upgraded, that messed up enough food being produced and/or the food getting to the residents.

If you go into the Almanac, click on Happiness, then click on "Food", you can see statistics about the maximum amount of population your grocery stores can serve, as well as how much food each farm/ranch produces a month vs. how much is being consumed. Also, when you add new food production buildings and grocery stores, be sure to add additional Teamsters as well, so the food can be transported and your teamsters won't be overloaded with too much work.

As for my personal way of doing housing...well, Presidente Catalina likes to cram as many people as possible into one space, so I go Country Houses > Tenements > start switching to adding Apartments > Demolish Tenements and replace with Apartments > Upgrade to Modern Apartments: advancing to the next step as money allows. Using Quick Build on the housing is a nice feature when you have enough money as well. You don't have to wait around for the large housing buildings to be built.

Right I was doing that and that's what I thought (granted I forgot to check the Almanac when poo poo hit the fan.)

I also normally avoid apartments because square per square, it's more efficient to go with country homes I think. Country Homes are 2 squares and provide for 4 families. The apartment and tenements are 10 families for 6 squares. The quality of housing is lower, yes, but it supplies the food and you can boost with landlords in churches with community aid program enabled.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Tulip posted:

Another thing about country houses - the food happiness they provide is equal to the housing happiness. Which is actually pretty drat high considering. Country homes OP.

I think it's higher if you provide Extra Rations. I usually have a few grocery stores next to country homes and my food happiness is up by 15 over housing normally.

If only I could keep these fuckers entertained. Jesus Christ.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

JuffoWup posted:

...and a chef's hat for your president to wear.

This DLC missed an oppurtunity

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

RichardGamingo posted:

Is the DLC mission epic?

Best Regards,
RG

It's pretty cheesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
My issues tend to constantly stem in Modern Times where I'm getting citizens leaving constantly with good health care, entertainment, etc. BUT when they start emmigrating, the healthcare naturally drops and before that, it was a food issue when I went to Hydroponics as no one with a high-school level wanted to work in a supermarket.

• Locked thread