Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sorry if I'm asking something that has been heavily covered in the lifespan of this thread, but I skimmed it and haven't seen it, and since I haven't played past the cold war in the campaign yet, I'd appreciate a little advice for someone who's relatively new to the game.

What are the best money-making strategies in each era? Mostly I'm interested in the post-colonial era, since that one is pretty short and scant on choices, but after that, it seems like there's a lot of options and I'm not sure what I should be focusing on. My "strategy" has been basically to build at least one of every industrial building, and one raw materials building to support it, but I'm wondering if there's a better rule of thumb than that. Is it worth it to import raw materials, or should you just produce all of them, and save your trade routes for exports?

And I'm completely lost in regards to what I'm supposed to do with tourism, with all the different types of tourists, and all the different types of buildings to accommodate them. Can I safely ignore tourism and focus on industry for my economy, or am I really shooting myself in the foot if I don't work on it?

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mayodreams posted:

I am just happy that the latest patch finally fixed the import/exports piling up at the docks that was killing my late cold war game.

Post-colonial you should already have sugar and tobacco farms that you can start producing rum and cigars with. Also, you can have llama and cotton during the first stage that you can go into a textile mill right away to get some good cash flow.

Just make sure you get a high school right away because you need hs grads for those positions.

Yeah, that's basically what I've been doing. I'm just wondering if the strategy gets a little more complex than "more factories = more money" so long as you have the raw materials available to keep them running.

Is there a particular ratio of raw material buildings to factory buildings that's ideal?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Coups happen specifically when you piss of the military / militarist factions; rebellions happen when you piss off the rest of the population in a low-democracy setting.

Which is the type of revolt that still occurs even if you have the "democracy" constitution option selected, and what causes it?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Poil posted:

The Tropico series is currently on sale on Steam. 33% off on Tropico 5 and a lot more on the earlier games.

"Tropico Reloaded" (a package of Tropico 1, the expansion pack, and Tropico 2) costs $1.04. Kind of a steal if you haven't played that yet and want to see the game's roots, and that weird one where they made it a game about managing slaves on a pirate cove.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just hope I can make underwater cheese, or set my prison labor to cheese making duty.

• Locked thread