Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Has anyone figured out exactly how land quality works for pastures? Visually the animals stay penned up, but if I put anything near them the land quality goes straight to poo poo for animals. Giving ranches bonuses for being near farms/farms bonuses for being near ranches would make me think that shouldn't be the case, but I duno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Tulip posted:

I forgot to check the luxury line for furniture but i don't see why turning gold into furniture is going to help.

With the upgrade it's 900 furniture at 100 effectiveness, each unit uses 0.05 units of gold and 0.95 planks.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Has anyone done any testing with Ranches? I had noticed that their location quality always ends up going to poo poo, but I wasn't sure if I was just placing other buildings too place to them or something, so I started writing down the numbers. I placed a Llama ranch which had +50, then when I checked again less than a year later it was down to +33, and while writing this post have just watched it drop every time a month passes down to +27. That has to be a bug, right?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Noticed this too. Apparently there's a description somewhere that says it'll deplete the land around it as the years pass, which sucks. I hope Factory Farms don't do that, because Cattle is a nice boost to food variety and is a handy source of employment for the proletariat.

Other Tropico games had similar mechanics, but dropping that quickly is loving insane. In contrast, I made a tobacco farm with the efficiency upgrade that degrades soil quality over time during the colonial era one game, and by the modern era the location bonus had only gone down ten points.

Factory Farms don't care about soil quality, as they consume Corn instead of the animals grazing; given how fast soil quality degrades, that's probably to their benefit. More importantly, they produce twice as many units per effectiveness, and each unit of output consumes 0.5 units of corn, so even when you add in the additional corn farms, the number of units produced per worker should be neutral. Since corn farms don't degrade soil quality, and given that they get the awesome Selective Breeding upgrade, Factory Farms are almost definitely superior. They also get the Vaccination upgrade, though that's of questionable value. I realize, now that I've typed that, that the conclusion that the more technologically advanced farm is better is probably incredibly obvious even without the numbers :downs:.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Poil posted:

Unfortunately that leaves it to the mercy of the teamsters. Personally I like to keep the old ranches. Tropico is for free range animals, free range crops and limited free range tropicans.

Much like Tropico 4, it seems like the biggest issue with Teamsters is that they often deliver poo poo and then lose their car, which leaves them driving to a dock to drop stuff off and then walking all the way back to where they work. If your teamsters seem to be taking forever to move poo poo right near their office, this is probably why. I'm not sure why the developers didn't bother to fix the teamsters being so lazy that they ship their car full of produce to another country instead of unloading it.

It seems like a similar thing is causing the shack issues which are still around. Immigrants in particular will come to the island, find a job, and then plop down a shack during their six month trek across the island rather than sleeping in the affordable housing they're camping next to, as the housing isn't close enough to where they work. On the plus side, every job except hauling and building seems to ignore the location of the worker assigned to it, since farms will still produce full output despite being staffed by people who have never actually been there.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 3, 2014

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Intermodal transportation! It reduces turnaround times! :science:

Plop a garage in your dock area. Plop garages loving everywhere, basically.

I mostly just wait for Metro stations to expand a significant distance from the shore, since Garages look really stupid in 5. It does help, though the developers should really still do something about it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I love how skinny garages parking lots are now.

I just hate the graphic, and particularly if you haven't modded the population cap, having a ton of workers manning garages everywhere is sort of poo poo. Someone should mod them so that no one has to sit around watching the parked cars (I don't think they even make a profit?). Alternatively, it would help with the lack of housing differentiation people were complaining about earlier if modern houses/apartments provided parking/cars to their residents.

Completely unrelated, but have any of the people messing with modding figured out if you can give a building a footprint smaller than a square on the grid?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

PirateBob posted:

How many raw resource buildings should you have per factory? Tobacco -> Cigars, for instance?

It depends on their efficacy, particularly given that a lot of farms can get huge boosts compared to the industry buildings. A distillery (which I just happen to have the numbers for) will yield six units of rum per month per effectiveness, using up either 1 or 0.75 units of sugar per (depending on the upgrade). A sugar plantation will produce 3 units of sugar per month per effectiveness. Most of the simple chains have a similar ratio where it's about two raw resource producers per industrial building, if the effectiveness is the same.

More complicated sets like cannery/fish don't line up that way because, besides modifiers from certain upgrades, one unit in is always one unit out. Since the cannery takes a bunch of kinds of input, it doesn't use each of them nearly as fast. The production buildings that use multiple ingredients often don't use the same amounts of them, which can further complicate things; for example, an upgraded steel mill uses 0.15 units of coal and 0.65 units of iron per unit of steel.

I don't have all of the numbers, but here are the plantation yields per effectiveness (probably correct):
pre:
Plantations
Banana	    2.5
Cocoa	    1.75
Coffee	    2
Corn	    4
Cotton	    2.5
Pineapples  2.5
Sugar	    3
Tobacco	    2.5
I haven't really checked it out, but the modern mines and ranches are both exactly double the production, so hydroponic farms probably are too.

Tulip posted:

I've never managed to keep a furniture factory running, holy poo poo they have fast throughput.

Without the gold upgrade thing one furniture factory should require about 1.5 lumber mills, and one mill with the 30% upgrade should require two logging camps. You're right, though, the furniture factory produces as many units per effectiveness as the cannery, despite almost exclusively using planks instead of a bunch of different poo poo. If you don't keep all of the buildings in that production chain real close together they'll run your teamsters ragged.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Poil posted:

It could just be my imagination but teamsters offices get less and less efficient the larger your town gets. There also seems to be some form of diminishing returns to them. Four teamsters do NOT handle anywhere near four times as much as one for example. :saddowns:

Someone made a mod that might help, though I haven't tried it yet. It's supposed to let you limit what resources are exported, as well as adding storage space to teamster's offices and choosing which resources each one should pick up.

Resource Manager

If anyone does check it out I'd be interested to know if it makes the economy work better once you get past a handful of teamster's offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Dogen posted:

There's really not a hard and fast optimal ratio given the wildly different effectiveness ratings based on placement, upgrades, budget, managers, etc.

Effectiveness is linear, so a 200% effectiveness field should match up with a 100% industrial building or whatever.

• Locked thread