Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

http://lesswrong.com/lw/1pz/the_ai_in_a_box_boxes_you/

Wow, that is one hell of a threat :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Djeser posted:

Wasn't Voldemort's fatal flaw that he didn't understand the bond of love that protected Harry?

If so, then yes. It's Harry Potter if Voldemort was in Harry's body.

Unrelated, but I wanted to point it out: the argument that an AI is going to torture you if you don't donate to "AI research" (i.e. Yudkowsky's Idea Guy fund) wasn't actually his idea. That's why it's called Roko's Basilisk, because Roko is the person who thought it up on LW. Yudkowsky actually hates the basilisk, but I don't think it's because he thinks it's wrong. It's because he thinks it's right, and therefore memetically dangerous. He once posted something along the lines of "a few people have already been hurt by this, so don't bring it up ever again".

I especially like how he theorizes that a friendly AI will do this. Because any AI, especially a friendly one, will expend energy to create a million perfect simulations of you in the past in the future to torture you, because you are a Bad Person.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Grondoth posted:

Holy poo poo I remember this story. I think it was linked in this forum, actually. For those unfamiliar, it's about humans meeting another alien race that does horrible things, and trying to figure out what we should do. I think they ate their kids or something? Then another alien race shows up and thinks the same thing about us, that we do horrible things and they need to change that. Interesting turnaround, right? There's gonna be lots of different species out there, who knows how they handle ethical questions and what they see as good and right.
Then there's a long bit where they explain that humans have legalized rape and it solved a bunch of crime problems. I had no real idea how to take it, since I was linked the story as something good, and boy that sure seems like a justification to legalize rape, doesn't it?

I remember this story too, it started out with an interesting ethical premise then blossomed into a wonderful flower of brilliance with lines such as, "'gently caress that up the rear end with a hedge trimmer,' said the Lord Pilot. 'Are we going to save the human species or not?'"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

During school breaks I had a 26 hour sleep schedule because my body hates me and what eventually happens is that you stall out at around 5am and crash or you force yourself through and fall asleep in the middle of the day to reset back to a sort of normal schedule. Basically you're really tired a lot.

Maybe the singularity fixes this clear flaw of human behavior.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

have any of the less wrong people murdered someone because there was very high chance that he was a simulation

• Locked thread