Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Overlord K posted:

Huh. Given what's out of the manga so far, I expected this episode to be very, very different, so now I'm completely and utterly stumped about what's going on in the manga side of things. I mean, the current scanlations end right before they fight Dominica, so here on I'm largely clueless, but the setup was almost entirely different. :psyduck:

Still a solid episode and getting a shape shifting dragoon seems like a fun addition to the team.

Same here, they seem to have completely changed her past to make it less sad or something? Maybe this is just the cliff notes version and big sister was a dragon all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Redcrimson posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to get the feeling that Sakaki Ichirou just wants to keep making the LN version of the one really awesome D&D campaign he played in highschool.

There are worse ways to make a living.

I'm really digging the fights in this show, there's just something really "solid" about them. Neat monster design too, and our protagonist is pretty stone-cold which is always worth a lark. Honestly, even though Captain Earth is obviously Bones' headliner of the season, I prefer this one so far.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Overlord K posted:

Huh. Given what's out of the manga so far, I expected this episode to be very, very different, so now I'm completely and utterly stumped about what's going on in the manga side of things. I mean, the current scanlations end right before they fight Dominica, so here on I'm largely clueless, but the setup was almost entirely different. :psyduck:

Still a solid episode and getting a shape shifting dragoon seems like a fun addition to the team.

I know what you mean, there was the whole "Chaika looks like my little sister" thing that was left out entirely and was replaced with the egotistical statues and self-portraits, and unlike the spontaneous forest hotspring it wasn't changed to avoid cheesy fanservice.
They even left out the part where they decided against poisoning Dominica entirely.
There's a lot of little things missing from the manga, which is a real shame

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone know which one is more true to the original work, AKA the LNs?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Squidster posted:

Judging by the 360 degree scar on her neck, It does seem like Chaika Gaz has died at least once. I have a feeling that 'Daughter of Gaz' is a symbolic title bestowed on reanimated corpses. Some outside force is reanimating the dead, giving them unholy purpose and a magical trinket, and using them as pawns.

I'm placing my bets that their unholy purpose is the revival of Emperor Gaz as part of some convoluted resurrection scheme. I mean when they collect all of Gaz's body parts what seems more likely - They hold a nice quiet funeral with a world class buffet, or a giant magical douchebag turns up and explains that been doing his evil bidding all along. Mwahahaha. And it seems more telegraphed for Gaz to resurrect himself than for someone else to hijack his power, especially since other factions seem to want to hijack Gaz's power.

I was also thinking that Chaika gets resurrected herself when she dies, but with some memory loss. Earlier Gillette talked about Chaika's doubles and impersonators, which made people think of magical clones but one person who resurrects could do the same kind of thing. Your idea of imbuing a personality on reanimated corpses could also work.

Roflfox posted:

I love that Chaika continues to use her Awesome Sniple Rifle for the most mundane poo poo like trying to cook or heating tubs. It kind of gives more to that "D&D group just loving about" feeling. I could see the practical reasons behind it but it's certainly not what that thing was designed for.

If you had a magical sniper rifle, you'd abuse the poo poo out of it too. :colbert:

Maybe originally there was a "COMBAT USE ONLY" sticker on it's side, which Chaika nonchalantly tore off. :allears:

Elite fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 1, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm assuming that Chaika's scar is the result of plastic surgery, like that lady in Durarara.

Also, they're definitely doing the creepy-incest route with the sister, but it seems to be more bearable than usual. Mostly because the creepiness is :thejoke: rather than something we're supposed to overlook.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm assuming that Chaika's scar is the result of plastic surgery, like that lady in Durarara.

Also, they're definitely doing the creepy-incest route with the sister, but it seems to be more bearable than usual. Mostly because the creepiness is :thejoke: rather than something we're supposed to overlook.

Well, to be fair (possible LN spoiler):according to the LNs they were raised together, but not as siblings. They grew up in a military training camp as child soldiers with a bunch of other kids that were also trained to do military stuff. Also remember that in japanese brother and sister are words that can be used with people that are not related to you, they can simply denote a certain level of closeness or respect.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, to be fair (possible LN spoiler):according to the LNs they were raised together, but not as siblings. They grew up in a military training camp as child soldiers with a bunch of other kids that were also trained to do military stuff. Also remember that in japanese brother and sister are words that can be used with people that are not related to you, they can simply denote a certain level of closeness or respect.

Closeness meaning the desire to have the target of your affection stuffed so you can have them forever, even after they die. Such is love, I guess

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They slipped in a quick "we're siblings, but not by blood" in the show too. Because anime. :argh: Though at least they're getting jokes out of it.

I like this show when it's being goofy D&D campaign but it kind of bugs me when it embraces anime tropes too much.

e.g. I thought it was weird when Toru referred to himself as a "washed up saboteur with no purpose in life". He's 20. Which I realize is anime middle age, but still it struck me as dumb.

And like everybody else here I'm annoyed that shapeshifter cat-dragoon-lady immediately decided to become a 12 year old girl for no apparent reason.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I like how everyone's ignoring the crystals with eyeballs. But since each part is part of a specific magic, it can be reasonably assumed that the guy with the arms is going to be stupid strong.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Annointed posted:

I like how everyone's ignoring the crystals with eyeballs. But since each part is part of a specific magic, it can be reasonably assumed that the guy with the arms is going to be stupid strong.

Chaika looked so upset. :(

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Elite posted:

They slipped in a quick "we're siblings, but not by blood" in the show too. Because anime. :argh: Though at least they're getting jokes out of it.

I like this show when it's being goofy D&D campaign but it kind of bugs me when it embraces anime tropes too much.

e.g. I thought it was weird when Toru referred to himself as a "washed up saboteur with no purpose in life". He's 20. Which I realize is anime middle age, but still it struck me as dumb.

And like everybody else here I'm annoyed that shapeshifter cat-dragoon-lady immediately decided to become a 12 year old girl for no apparent reason.

Unfortunately, they're doing a wild mishmash of stuff from the manga/LN and anime-original stuff, which is resulting in some really weird stuff.. For example Chaika's scar, if it exists at all in the original material, certainly hasn't been mentioned at this point.

In regards to this episode, one big detail they changed is that hologram. It's not Dominica, but rather her little sister who's projected there which, along with a different situation where it's encountered, leads to significantly changed conversation and reasoning. More to the point, Frederika's chosen form is supposed to be Dominica's little sister, with significant traces of Dominica as well, which as an otherwise formless being choosing a human form, makes some amount of sense for her(it?) to choose something familiar. Plus Frederika's a giant troll, so it was chosen at least partially to screw with Toru.

Toru referring to himself that was doesn't have much to do with :japan: and more to do with past experiences. Aside from being raised from childhood as a saboteur with no other skills, including being eager to show of his skills to, you know, kill people, but having the war he was raised for end before he participated, he also had a situation happen that convinced him of the pointlessness of life. Probably at least partially because of that, he never really adapted any other life skills when he and Akari were released to the outside world.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
When you say manga/LN are you actually talking about the LN (which I'm not sure is even translated) or just the manga? I've noticed that a lot of people read the manga first because it's more readily available, and then compare the anime to that while ignoring that the anime is based on the LN directly (and often more faithful). I'm not saying this is the case here, but if you actually mean the LN I think it would be less confusing to say so directly, since the manga is ultimately irrelevant to this particular adaptation.

MMania
May 7, 2008
Haha, this week on "make my high school D&D campaign into an anime," they shoehorn in a new player and 2/3rds of the party instantly accept her.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Liver Disaster posted:

Chaika looked so upset. :(

To be fair if someone chopped up my dad into tacky trinkets I'd be upset too.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Annointed posted:

To be fair if someone chopped up my dad into tacky trinkets I'd be upset too.

Of course, she seemed to take the hand in stride though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

When you say manga/LN are you actually talking about the LN (which I'm not sure is even translated) or just the manga? I've noticed that a lot of people read the manga first because it's more readily available, and then compare the anime to that while ignoring that the anime is based on the LN directly (and often more faithful). I'm not saying this is the case here, but if you actually mean the LN I think it would be less confusing to say so directly, since the manga is ultimately irrelevant to this particular adaptation.

I've only read a bit of the manga and what I've seen it seems to play up certain parts more than the LN(like Akari's tendencies), but seems generally the same. The LN itself was being translated on someone's Wordpress account, with updates as recent as early last month. Unfortunately, it seems to have been taken down some time in the past two weeks. They'd finished translating through this part though, which is the second book, and had translated the opening of the next. In other words they've covered one volume every 2 episodes, which is insanely fast, and would be skipping huge chunks even if they weren't making their own stuff up as well.

There's also a partial translation of the first novel on baka-tsuki, but given the project was started last year and they don't even have the first volume done, it's likely dead. As for the Wordpress site, you can still find cached pages but that's all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Liver Disaster posted:

Of course, she seemed to take the hand in stride though.

Maybe she was upset that it wasn't the whole head. "How many bits did this rear end in a top hat get chopped up into?"

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Maybe she was upset that it wasn't the whole head. "How many bits did this rear end in a top hat get chopped up into?"

With the new episode that's not the only thing she has to worry about.

Red Chaika of vengeance with team B. Including team Red there were 4 other Chaikas. All for the remains of daddy. This is the most demented family get together I've ever seen.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Man, Red Chaika totally owns. Do we really have to trade her back?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So where the hell was the dragon for all of this? :confused:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Requesting gif of Fredrica rear end-stomping the bandit. Not sure why she just disappears after she runs off as a cat though.

Also, I'm really glad the show's finally diverged from Scrapped Princess. It was way too alike before now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Autonomous Monster posted:

So where the hell was the dragon for all of this? :confused:

They left her behind at the other town. She jumped off the cart after she scratched the guy's face, and I guess they left without stopping to look for her.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That was a fun episode. I like Fredrika, reminds me of some D&D players, "Yay! Killing!". I think it's pretty obvious that some organization is making and sending out Chaikas. Clones? Magically modified girls with their memories replaced? Something else? Whatever the case it seems obvious that they are doing this to gather the body of the evil emperor for some nefarious purpose.

Also, Akari's increasingly violent attempts to interrupt any situation that could vaguely look like romance to the most suspicious of eyes(hers!) is hilarious to me, even if it is clichéd.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Akari is pretty much the most hilarious character in this, yes. She's quite fond of just casually freaking everyone out, it seems.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So besides Chaika and ネバネバ, I wonder how many more they'll collect before the show ends. Isn't this only going to be 12 episodes?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

By the time this show ends we are going to have either aSuper Sentai Chaika Squad or a Rozen Chaika elimination tournament

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

By the time this show ends we are going to have either aSuper Sentai Chaika Squad or a Rozen Chaika elimination tournament
I think it is fairly obvious that they will end up combining into a giant reborn emperor.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
It strikes me given the recent episode that maybe each of the Chaika's is a resurrected part of her whole self. Red wants vengeance, white wants closure, so I assume the other parts of her all want something different for collecting the remains. I presume when her head was lopped off her soul got dispersed around the realm they live in. Where the weapons and skill to use them comes from is an interesting question as well though; maybe all of it was planned to make her the next ruler should her father fail.

Really liking the intrigue of this show; it's revealing enough each episode to keep questions being raised, the combat looks good, and the characters are entertaining and believable in the context of the story.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Both of these would suit me just fine, I'm really glad that white Chaika is being taken care of though. She means well.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There can be only one Chaika

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I love how even red Chaika uses broken Japanese.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Sooner or later there's going to be an evil Chaika and it's going to be real hard to take her seriously if she talks just like the rest.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm saddened to hear it's only 12 episodes - it definitely feels like it has enough story for a 52-ep FMA run. I'm continually impressed with the balancing act they're doing with the protagonist; he's clearly ruthless in battle, but isn't cruel in nature. Threatening to knife a defeated opponent mid-battle is normally a protagonist no-no.

Mo_Steel posted:

It strikes me given the recent episode that maybe each of the Chaika's is a resurrected part of her whole self. Red wants vengeance, white wants closure, so I assume the other parts of her all want something different for collecting the remains. I presume when her head was lopped off her soul got dispersed around the realm they live in. Where the weapons and skill to use them comes from is an interesting question as well though; maybe all of it was planned to make her the next ruler should her father fail.
I like this theory. I look forward to the inevitable Chaika hydra, or perhaps Chaika voltron. If they do start fusing, then I predict her language will snap back to normal once everyone is found.

straight jerkers posted:

Sooner or later there's going to be an evil Chaika and it's going to be real hard to take her seriously if she talks just like the rest.
I look forward to the Devil is a Part-Timer crossover. She's clearly running a Wendy's franchise.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Squidster posted:

I like this theory. I look forward to the inevitable Chaika hydra, or perhaps Chaika voltron. If they do start fusing, then I predict her language will snap back to normal once everyone is found.

It's because it's a foreign language, so a Chaika fusion wouldn't suddenly make them fluent in this other language.
I'd be disappointed if they took away her broken speech patterns. Proclaiming her reactions like ":stonk: surprised!" makes her so much more endearing and amusing to watch.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Squidster posted:

I'm saddened to hear it's only 12 episodes - it definitely feels like it has enough story for a 52-ep FMA run. I'm continually impressed with the balancing act they're doing with the protagonist; he's clearly ruthless in battle, but isn't cruel in nature. Threatening to knife a defeated opponent mid-battle is normally a protagonist no-no.

That's an interesting way to put it, and if you think about it it's a lot like how you'd describe a weapon. A gun no one's holding is just gonna sit there innocuously as a complex lump of metal, but once it's in someone's, or maybe something's, hands it's suddenly a whole lot more dangerous. It fits well with his Saboteur nature.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

HiveCommander posted:

I love how even red Chaika uses broken Japanese.

I hope it's revealed that the reason she refused to talk was just because her team makes fun of her speech impediment.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

At some point a fake Chaika will infiltrate the team in place of the normal one, but they will immediately recognize that she's a fake because she won't think to try using the gun to cook or do some other mundane chore.

Also Akari remains the best because she is a complete loon. Though Nikolai from the cavalier group is gaining points for being a total bro.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Nikolai is the wingman, isn't he? I have a ton of respect for those types of characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Now that Frederica'd joined the party, I assumed this would be dumb harem shenanigans. I guess it could be interpreted that way, but this show is still incredibly amusing in its own twisted way.

Like Toru not even blinking at a bag of dead bugs, or him and Akari pigging out on chicken.

There is a pretty dark bit though, someone is going around chopping the heads off girls and planting Chaika's cloned heads on their severed stumps, and siccing them across the countryside. Though I do have to say, pre-war Chaika had a really big wardrobe with lots of frilly elaborate clothes and ornaments our mysterious benefactor to hand them out like candy.

• Locked thread