Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

madmac posted:

Hehe.

I have to admit, this show has been giving me an extremely vague desire to go back and watch Scrapped Princess. It's been a looong time since I've seen it. All I really remember anymore is that it was pretty good and the twist. Coffin Princess wins hands-down on action direction though, in part just because two ninja's, a dragon-thing, and a magic sniper rifle is way more interesting then fairly generic fighter+wizard.

Even though this show is (hopefully) going in a different direction, it still weirds me out a little how similar the initial set-up is, two kick-rear end siblings protecting a princess that isn't what she seems and all that.

Yeah but there won't be anything as depressing as the amnesia part of Scrapped Princess, I think anyway. Also technically in Scrapped Princess they were D-Knights versus Chaika's Dragoon Cavaliers. Potato, Potahto, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
How will the Reconstruction Bureau guys experience a close, comfortable shave now? I bet they'll show up with beards in season two.

Feel bad for Vivi, she's pretty convinced that Gillette is the best a man can get.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

That needs to be a gif so bad.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

paragon1 posted:

How will the Reconstruction Bureau guys experience a close, comfortable shave now? I bet they'll show up with beards in season two.

Feel bad for Vivi, she's pretty convinced that Gillette is the best a man can get.

You son of a bitch :v:

Reminder that Chaika lifts and ain't nothin' to gently caress with.

(Spoiler for the slight spoiler)
(Spoiler.)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zeruel posted:

You son of a bitch :v:

Reminder that Chaika lifts and ain't nothin' to gently caress with.

(Spoiler for the slight spoiler)
(Spoiler.)

And then she dropped a floater in the pool. I love this stupid show.

I look forward to more next season.

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
Toru = tool. Mind blown

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Hell of a ending for the first season. I have a feeling that unless there's something else really outstanding in the fall, this is going to be my non-JoJo nomination for best show of the year.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

That episode was great stuff. Can't wait for season 2. What this series rules at is its action scene direction and the way that the characters aren't stupid. OK, Chaika is naive, but that's an intentional character trait, not something that everybody has.

About Vivi, what I really want to know is whether she was an incognitio Chaika all along, or if she's simply turned into one and wasn't one before. "I'm sorry, team, but Vivi just caught a bad case of the Chaikas. The odds of recovery are low." Could it be contagious, or might it be that there's a set number of Chaikas and that Layla's probable death meant there was an opening for a new one? Her eye and hair colour both changed, so it may make more sense if she's a new Chaika who just transformed. Otherwise, it would have to mean that the trauma of Gilette's death was so great that it overpowered her hair dye and contact lenses.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Eej posted:

That last knife fight perfectly encapsulates the fighting direction of this show.

According to /a/, it was much longer in the book and he turned into a manspider halfway through.

I

cannot express just how happy I am that the show decided to go this way with it instead.

Really great ending to what was probably the best non-Ping Pong, non-Mushishi show of the season. Really looking forward to October.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Autonomous Monster posted:

According to /a/, it was much longer in the book and he turned into a manspider halfway through.

That would have been immensely stupid.

A lot of shows just drop the ball on the ending but this wasn't one of them, though it helps that it's not getting an anime-original ending.

As for Vivi I guess all those Chaika photoshops are canon now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Interesting to see that it was the dumbass warmongering general who ended up effectively ending the villains' plans and saving millions of lives. Normally, his sort of character just make things worse for the good guys.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That was a fun show.

Ricardo didn't have much of a plan, besides going Herostratus on the world. Baby, you ain't even in the same category as Gaz. Gaz knew how to use power, Ricardo was just a lovely wannabe.

And it looks like Chaika is less a vat grown head sown onto a severed stomp, and more like a magical parasite that bodyjacks the unlucky. So just how did that happen? Does guy have a magic wand that fires a chaikamind at people in a fragile emotional state?

More thoughts. This show really likes to class its characters under certain definitions. Saboteur. Cavalier. Wizardo. It is so explicit that it seems almost artificial.

What I think the show is trying to say is that these kinds of arbitrary definitions are harmful. The stereotypes pervade and consume the characters with self-doubt. Cavaliers are supposed to be utterly righteous, and it Gillette is so concerned if his unsheathed sword is or is not on the side of "justice", that he throws away his life and honour for some pissant rebellion. What the hell was he expecting, raising his sword against an army for the sake of his direct underlings? Obstructing a military action can potentially endanger even more lives. That belligerent general was right in the end, his simple-minded brutality saved alot of lives from a rebellious vassal.

What about Tohru? He needs to constantly reinforce to himself that he is a saboteur, and has to explicitly speak out a mantra in order to enter the platonic ideal of the saboteur. But just what a saboteur is continually eats at him. But his personality is more of a knight or a protector than a ruthlessly loyal killer. When Tohru told Nicolai that he wouldn't really care if a war started, it sounded less like that was what he really wanted, and more like petulance at someone who would dare deny him a liege lord. Tohru is an excellent tactician, but he wants someone else to make the big strategic decisions for him.

When Frederica offered him a choice to class switch, his responses really kicks off some gears in his head. He says that he'll consider it, but he knows that Frederica offers him a role that he truly wants.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Phobophilia posted:

When Frederica offered him a choice to class switch, his responses really kicks off some gears in his head. He says that he'll consider it, but he knows that Frederica offers him a role that he truly wants.
Hope one of them gets a class change from Ninja to Dragoon, because another season of their current tricks would get old.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I really liked the episode where we saw him getting trained, and his mentor was just like "no you suck at this", even as his physical capabilities improved. It was really interesting to see a show play around with the concept of not being mentally correct for a role, even if you are technically competent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think we're all missing the most important question here. What colour Chaika is Vivi?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I think we're all missing the most important question here. What colour Chaika is Vivi?

Obviously purple Chaika. For high class and nobility fitting of an officer. It could also be black for mourning but that would be like every Chaika.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Van Dine posted:

That episode was great stuff. Can't wait for season 2. What this series rules at is its action scene direction and the way that the characters aren't stupid. OK, Chaika is naive, but that's an intentional character trait, not something that everybody has.

About Vivi, what I really want to know is whether she was an incognitio Chaika all along, or if she's simply turned into one and wasn't one before. "I'm sorry, team, but Vivi just caught a bad case of the Chaikas. The odds of recovery are low." Could it be contagious, or might it be that there's a set number of Chaikas and that Layla's probable death meant there was an opening for a new one? Her eye and hair colour both changed, so it may make more sense if she's a new Chaika who just transformed. Otherwise, it would have to mean that the trauma of Gilette's death was so great that it overpowered her hair dye and contact lenses.

She didn't have the giant eyebrows before.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Vivi turning into a Chaika is probably directly induced by Guy. There are even two Guys at once right behind Gilette before the beam hits. So no plucked eyebrows.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Squidster posted:

That little scream she made as she bursts out is just perfect.
Going from this episode, I think I've figured out the purpose of the Iron Blood thing - it's just a passive endurance bonus to overcome fatigue. The first time we saw him use it, he was malnourished, and the second time he used it was to move a heavy coffin for hours. Here he only triggers it after hours of exhausting combat.

I'm completely on board for season 2.

IIRC the LN describes it as basically a kind of self-hypnosis. Lowers pain response and partially releases the limiters a human body is normally under. It basically weaponises the phenomenon of people puling off normally impossible for them things in exceptional situations. Think a comparatively petite woman suddenly tearing a jammed door of its hinges to save her baby from a burning building or the like; just somewhat less extreme and far more controllable.

The effect is functionally increased reflexes, senses, strenght, speed and partial immunity against pain and exhaustion. The problem being that it's very tiring to do for a long time and potentially dangerous because if you don't pay attention, it becomes really easy to accidentally hurt yourself. The human body isn't exactly set up to run at that level normally and it becomes a real danger that you can do things like dislocate your shoulder just by swinging a weapon too hard or push yourself so far in endurance terms that you do real damage to your muscles.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Basically watched this show in 3 sittings. Liked it a lot! Especially how a lot of names are derived from cars. I mean.

I guess the most pleasant surprise was that characters weren't caricatures, it was easy to paint Toru as an angsty guy given his past, but nope, he's actually pretty cool. And unlike Pacifica from Scrapped Princess, Chaika never grated on my nerves.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Wow that was some episode, it was awesome but I wish I had waited for the /co/mrade stream. Either way looking forward to S2.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dragon Cavalier Tohru would be :stare: as gently caress. Amazing season. Eagerly waiting for S2.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im surprised with just how consistent this show was. Like at first I thought they just couldn't keep it up without screwing something up, and god knows they flirted with some really dangerous grounds that could have easily turned the anime into poo poo. But everything turned out great!

The cast was really competent in their own particular ways, the world was built in a way that the reveals in the last episodes made sense, the ending teases just enough to keep people interested in the next season. The only faults I have with the show is the rather unremarkable soundtrack, so hopefully the show does well enough that they can get a good composer for season 2.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Enjoyable end to an enjoyable season, and looking forward to the next. Animation seemed pretty wonky in this episode (character faces, etc), though, and it had a strangely rushed feeling to it. Came here hoping I was the only one to notice the clones behind Gilette at the moment of "death", but nope. :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

darkgray posted:

Enjoyable end to an enjoyable season, and looking forward to the next. Animation seemed pretty wonky in this episode (character faces, etc), though, and it had a strangely rushed feeling to it. Came here hoping I was the only one to notice the clones behind Gilette at the moment of "death", but nope. :(

And about your spoiler, i didn't notice it until it was pointed out in here, even if I assumed he wasn't dead anyway since there was no corpse shown; sure wasn't expecting Vivi to turn into/have been a Chaika all along though. :stare:.

The Black Stones posted:

That needs to be a gif so bad.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

i'm sorry.

NTRKouhai
Apr 25, 2014

TL Note: Keikaku means Moo
One of the reasons why I still watch this show(It isn't bad at all).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Basically watched this show in 3 sittings. Liked it a lot! Especially how a lot of names are derived from cars. I mean.

They named a town Acura this episode. I doubt anyone missed that, either here or in Japan.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm sure a ton of people missed it in Japan considering Acura doesn't exist in Japan. I'm pretty sure the majority of the vehicle manufacturers in this show would be obscure to the average Japanese viewer.

e: wow, Dominica Skoda (Dragoon Cavalier) in the LN dies of a broken heart after her little sister gets murdered in a messed up attempt at extorting Dominica. That's certainly a change in tone from "well I got sick and died".

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 2, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I guess they figured things would get dark enough in the show already, but that does fit better into the theme of the heroes that killed Gaz getting hosed over after the war.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Everyone has already said why this show's so great, so I'm just going to chime in and agree that this is the best show of the year so far, and that was a Hell of a last episode. Out of everything, though, Vivi Chaika-fying in her moment of shock was the most surprising twist. It's going to be really interesting to see how her comrades handle both this and their leader's apparent death.

Let's not forget there's still another confirmed Chaika out there, running around with her own sidekicks.

Chaika in a nutshell.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

I'm sure a ton of people missed it in Japan considering Acura doesn't exist in Japan. I'm pretty sure the majority of the vehicle manufacturers in this show would be obscure to the average Japanese viewer.

Wait, really? Since Honda is the parent company, I assumed Acuras would be wherever Hondas are.

Or are Hondas not sold in Japan either and I have this completely wrong?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You'd be surprised how many car companies sell vehicles overseas that they don't make available in their home country.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Acura exists in North America (US/CA/Mexico), China and Hong Kong. What you call the Acura NSX was actually the Honda NSX in Japan. The Acura TSX is actually the Japanese model of the Honda Accord, while the North American Honda Accord is based off the Honda Inspire. At no point in time are Japanese people actually going to see the name Acura in their own country.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
No more fun fantasy to watch on Wednesdays. Bah. Ah well, there's still UQ Holder.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Car branding can be really strange. Opel is a subsidiary of GM, and is their main brand in Europe, but in England they're branded as Vauxhalls, they were long sold as Saturns in the US until GM disbanded Saturn, and they're now sold in the US as Buicks. There was even a period when Isuzus were sold in the US under the Opel badge though they had no mechanical/design relationship to the other cars with that badge.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

C.M. Kruger posted:

Hell of a ending for the first season. I have a feeling that unless there's something else really outstanding in the fall, this is going to be my non-JoJo nomination for best show of the year.

Sounds like someone didn't watch Ping Pong :colbert:

Still, for someone who didn't watch Jojo (but probably will eventually) this is easily my second favorite show this year. So far.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

a kitten posted:

And about your spoiler, i didn't notice it until it was pointed out in here, even if I assumed he wasn't dead anyway since there was no corpse shown; sure wasn't expecting Vivi to turn into/have been a Chaika all along though. :stare:.

Regarding Gillette and his two friends before he got vaporized, perhaps he's another version of Guy, he just didn't know?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Everyone in the world is secretly either a Guy or a Chaika, but even they themselves don't know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
So did we ever figure out why the white Chaika is the only one without fluency in the common language? All the others are very fluent, but the white one only can only speak haltingly. She's also the only one we've met that's naive to the point that it strains belief but that's a common failing of main characters.

edit: Nevermind, I'd forgotten the red one had the same speech issues. I guess that makes Vivi and the blue one the only ones with fluency.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 6, 2014

• Locked thread