Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dan7el posted:

Never saw Scrapped Princess. Now I have to go look it up.

Who'da thought running around town carrying a honking big casket would cause people to stare?

I have to admit, the whole idea of the saboteur thingy is pretty interesting. They say the magic words and they become these uber-warriors. I'd like some backstory on that. Also, are the two really brother and sister? I get the idea they're not flesh-and-blood siblings.

Scrapped Princess does a pretty funny thing about magic words in the first episode or two, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's nice that I don't know exactly what to expect just from hearing the name of a thing. I have no clue what a Dragoon is going to be.

:haw:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Chaika the Stink Eye Princess.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mo_Steel posted:

In a way it reminds me of some of the gun fights in Trigun where Vash uses tricks or gimmicks to get things to go his way . It's probably easier to just have a protagonist overpower his foes with big swings but seeing him use the wires on his blades to grapple or give himself range or set off traps is interesting and keeps the fights from being stale.

Also saboteurs seem to be generally reviled or at least not looked upon well, and his fighting style gives me a definite rogue/assassin type of vibe.

Saboteurs are raised and trained to live solely for killing. Their high skill but more importantly their code of loyalty is probably the only reason why they were ever accepted at all. It's a pretty amazingly bleak outlook on life for a protagonist in a shounen manga, really.

For a typical shounen hero, or to be more relevant for this show, a knightly perspective, fighting for the sake of fighting is horrible since it's just conflict for the sake of conflict, when fighting should be done for justice/honour/country/friends.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't know why two of the best shows this season air on the same day of the week and have gleefully murderous sidekick characters but I am liking this trend.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
No Game No Life, which has Jibril the angel who randomly reminisces of the days where she'd band together with her sisters to decapitate dragons and gods alike.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Darth Walrus posted:

Her having a crush isn't a big deal - the bigger one is that they seem to be treating it rather like a legit pairing. Again, the problem is that it's not Shakespaeare, it's anime, a medium with a massive load of weird cultural baggage about the fetishisation of youth. Like I said, this is minor, and the show has been relatively tasteful so far, but coupled with all the nerdbait tropes that Chaika's design ticks off (white-haired little girl in stylised maid outfit with gigantic magical sniper rifle), it does trigger some rather uncomfortable associations.

Transplanting modern moral values onto works from another country based in a fictional universe based in fantasy in a pre-modern time is not going to end well so you can probably just stop there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She's the Worf.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Did you miss the part where he basically killed Akari in the first 30 seconds of fighting? He stopped his knife because he didn't actually want to stab through her brain.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That last knife fight perfectly encapsulates the fighting direction of this show. Also Frederica is the best, despite the ending part being totally shades of Scrapped Princess.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

madmac posted:

Hehe.

I have to admit, this show has been giving me an extremely vague desire to go back and watch Scrapped Princess. It's been a looong time since I've seen it. All I really remember anymore is that it was pretty good and the twist. Coffin Princess wins hands-down on action direction though, in part just because two ninja's, a dragon-thing, and a magic sniper rifle is way more interesting then fairly generic fighter+wizard.

Even though this show is (hopefully) going in a different direction, it still weirds me out a little how similar the initial set-up is, two kick-rear end siblings protecting a princess that isn't what she seems and all that.

Yeah but there won't be anything as depressing as the amnesia part of Scrapped Princess, I think anyway. Also technically in Scrapped Princess they were D-Knights versus Chaika's Dragoon Cavaliers. Potato, Potahto, I know.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm sure a ton of people missed it in Japan considering Acura doesn't exist in Japan. I'm pretty sure the majority of the vehicle manufacturers in this show would be obscure to the average Japanese viewer.

e: wow, Dominica Skoda (Dragoon Cavalier) in the LN dies of a broken heart after her little sister gets murdered in a messed up attempt at extorting Dominica. That's certainly a change in tone from "well I got sick and died".

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 2, 2014

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Acura exists in North America (US/CA/Mexico), China and Hong Kong. What you call the Acura NSX was actually the Honda NSX in Japan. The Acura TSX is actually the Japanese model of the Honda Accord, while the North American Honda Accord is based off the Honda Inspire. At no point in time are Japanese people actually going to see the name Acura in their own country.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Or in some cases entire episodes are butchered to the point that the director has to come out and publicly apologize for the thing they had to put out to meet the deadline.

I dont think chaika had that many problems because it has a pretty simple style and didn't really have overindulgence of crazy animation in its scenes. The fights were a surprising case of less = more in just how simple and well done they were. You never felt lost during them and everything they did made perfect sense.

Also the few scenes in that announcement trailer that were new gives me hope that white Chaika is actually going to take on the role of ranged combat support she's supposed to have. Whats the point of having a magic sniper if you are going to shoot at point blank range :v:

Then there were all those distance shots where the quality was incredibly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

We got back together.

Also I don't pirate, I have a crunchyroll account but only choose to watch anime with others. Watching it alone makes you realize how dumb it is. Taking pot shots at it owns.

the only thing dumb about this show is Tohru's hair

• Locked thread