Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The show totally feels like an RPG game but it's done so well that it don't matter. This might be an LN, but all the worldbuilding comes so naturalistically and you don't need a billion lines of exposition. The Gillette group seem like fairly cool guys, they have enough brains behind them that you can look into their motives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Now that Frederica'd joined the party, I assumed this would be dumb harem shenanigans. I guess it could be interpreted that way, but this show is still incredibly amusing in its own twisted way.

Like Toru not even blinking at a bag of dead bugs, or him and Akari pigging out on chicken.

There is a pretty dark bit though, someone is going around chopping the heads off girls and planting Chaika's cloned heads on their severed stumps, and siccing them across the countryside. Though I do have to say, pre-war Chaika had a really big wardrobe with lots of frilly elaborate clothes and ornaments our mysterious benefactor to hand them out like candy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Not hard to work out, all Chaikas have the same head, a scar around the neck, and different bodies.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Black Stones posted:

My theory based on this episode? Gaz doesn't exist. There may have been a powerful Mage at one point, but he died long ago and so in order to push magic further and improve quality of life some group created someone known as Gaz. That way they could experiment with crazy poo poo and not have it fall back on them, and once it all progressed quite nicely they simply "killed" Gaz and perhaps even let their test subjects run off with some stuff. Which would explain why Toru was questioning why it seemed like all the hero's ended up with a poo poo end. The Chaika project is somebody's reaction to that original project and bring it to life. I may be way off base, but at the very least I think there was never a person called Gaz as people don't seem to remember him at all.

Nah, Gaz existed, the point is there's a divorce between the crimes performed by the central ministry and the citizens of the periphery.

The bad ends of all the heroes is just that it's post-end of history, and people are finding new reasons to kill one another. It's like everyone dogpiling the runaway in Civ, winning, and immediately squabbling over the scraps. It's not like the heroes are random hobos, their stories are corroborated by actual states.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Oops, they all died from a magic fuel fight accident

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I loving panicked and froze when I saw that critter. I'm not going to make a very effective monster hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That was a fun show.

Ricardo didn't have much of a plan, besides going Herostratus on the world. Baby, you ain't even in the same category as Gaz. Gaz knew how to use power, Ricardo was just a lovely wannabe.

And it looks like Chaika is less a vat grown head sown onto a severed stomp, and more like a magical parasite that bodyjacks the unlucky. So just how did that happen? Does guy have a magic wand that fires a chaikamind at people in a fragile emotional state?

More thoughts. This show really likes to class its characters under certain definitions. Saboteur. Cavalier. Wizardo. It is so explicit that it seems almost artificial.

What I think the show is trying to say is that these kinds of arbitrary definitions are harmful. The stereotypes pervade and consume the characters with self-doubt. Cavaliers are supposed to be utterly righteous, and it Gillette is so concerned if his unsheathed sword is or is not on the side of "justice", that he throws away his life and honour for some pissant rebellion. What the hell was he expecting, raising his sword against an army for the sake of his direct underlings? Obstructing a military action can potentially endanger even more lives. That belligerent general was right in the end, his simple-minded brutality saved alot of lives from a rebellious vassal.

What about Tohru? He needs to constantly reinforce to himself that he is a saboteur, and has to explicitly speak out a mantra in order to enter the platonic ideal of the saboteur. But just what a saboteur is continually eats at him. But his personality is more of a knight or a protector than a ruthlessly loyal killer. When Tohru told Nicolai that he wouldn't really care if a war started, it sounded less like that was what he really wanted, and more like petulance at someone who would dare deny him a liege lord. Tohru is an excellent tactician, but he wants someone else to make the big strategic decisions for him.

When Frederica offered him a choice to class switch, his responses really kicks off some gears in his head. He says that he'll consider it, but he knows that Frederica offers him a role that he truly wants.

• Locked thread