Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I much preferred the character of mature Dominica to cat-lady Dragoon, but I can see the meta-reasons for changing her. If Saber joined the cast, she'd be vying with the protagonist for leadership of the party. I would, however, have preferred if the dragoon was a dude, or less of a harem-bait character design.

Judging by the 360 degree scar on her neck, It does seem like Chaika Gaz has died at least once. I have a feeling that 'Daughter of Gaz' is a symbolic title bestowed on reanimated corpses. Some outside force is reanimating the dead, giving them unholy purpose and a magical trinket, and using them as pawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I'm saddened to hear it's only 12 episodes - it definitely feels like it has enough story for a 52-ep FMA run. I'm continually impressed with the balancing act they're doing with the protagonist; he's clearly ruthless in battle, but isn't cruel in nature. Threatening to knife a defeated opponent mid-battle is normally a protagonist no-no.

Mo_Steel posted:

It strikes me given the recent episode that maybe each of the Chaika's is a resurrected part of her whole self. Red wants vengeance, white wants closure, so I assume the other parts of her all want something different for collecting the remains. I presume when her head was lopped off her soul got dispersed around the realm they live in. Where the weapons and skill to use them comes from is an interesting question as well though; maybe all of it was planned to make her the next ruler should her father fail.
I like this theory. I look forward to the inevitable Chaika hydra, or perhaps Chaika voltron. If they do start fusing, then I predict her language will snap back to normal once everyone is found.

straight jerkers posted:

Sooner or later there's going to be an evil Chaika and it's going to be real hard to take her seriously if she talks just like the rest.
I look forward to the Devil is a Part-Timer crossover. She's clearly running a Wendy's franchise.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Picture, if you will, Stalin grafting a nuclear missile to his punching arm. It's bad! It's super bad. You don't want an enemy with an A-bomb left hook, so you kick his rear end, disassemble the bomb and hide the pieces.

Even if the individual radioactive pieces aren't nearly as dangerous as the assembled bomb, you still don't want anyone running off with them. Especially not when you're in the fragile peace after a war.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I loved the hell out of the :effort: rescue by Frederica, and her 'yeah, snap out of it you punching bag!' This show is surprisingly fun.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

My thinking is that the whole shenanigan is a deniable op. Layla's a stealthier Chaika sister, and it's her mind control gun. She brainwashed Duke McStabs, and Vizier McMindControl, and then set them up to take the fall if anything goes wrong.

Alternately... if the captured women are being converted into Chaikas, then...

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

This episode got a little darker than I'm entirely comfortable with. While the show has always had dark undertones, this feels more in keeping with 40k fanfiction. I'm assuming Layla is going to be the new main villain, because I'm definitely rooting for her and the S.S. Elliot to go down in flames.

Great animation on the vent-beast, and I did like Akari's casual sword-toss to ruin Tori's grappling hook. I also note that Chaika sniffed, but did not drink any of Layla's presumably poisoned tea.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

korrandark posted:

I am really happy that this is getting another season.

Best Gif
That little scream she made as she bursts out is just perfect.
Going from this episode, I think I've figured out the purpose of the Iron Blood thing - it's just a passive endurance bonus to overcome fatigue. The first time we saw him use it, he was malnourished, and the second time he used it was to move a heavy coffin for hours. Here he only triggers it after hours of exhausting combat.

I'm completely on board for season 2.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

a kitten posted:

Here's an even longer version of the Best Thing
The way the first gif loops, it's like Akari looks away afterwards in pained resignation. "Again. I can't believe she did it again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I'm seeing some suggestions that Vivi may be a Chaika focused on infiltrating. She's definitely been the strongest proponent of hunting and killing the other Chaikas, and she's in a good position to intercept any remains confiscated by the civil protection agency. If this turns out to be the case, every background character ever seen is a confirmed Chaika.

• Locked thread