Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I like the extra effort put into the monsters. The unicorn in ep. 1 was oddly grotesque, and in ep. 3, I at least wasn't expecting the wolf-things to suddenly shoot lightning. I guess Tooru didn't either. It's nice that I don't know exactly what to expect just from hearing the name of a thing. I have no clue what a Dragoon is going to be.

He mentions the lightning when he tells Chaika to the speed up, so he knew exactly what was up. I don't know what he expected to do after he jumped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

[...] so possibly laziness and time constraints on the part of the animation staff?

It's only running for 12 episodes and they probably wanted to show the Dragoon woman at the end of the episode.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Since the LN is still running (Volume 9 was releases this month) they're probably only covering the first plot arc or so.
That or we'll get a terrible original ending.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I must admit to being ever-so-slightly weirded out by the way the show appears to be setting up a twenty-year-old and a fourteen-year-old as its main couple, though. Yes, that's only two years off Romeo and Juliet, but Shakespeare isn't anime and anime is very rarely Shakespeare.

So teen girls having crushes on +20 guys is unnatural? Marriage at 14 was also a thing during Shakespeare's time and not Shakespeare being weird.
Not everything is set in 21st century first world countries. Even Toru and Akari were child soldiers.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Annointed posted:

Eh this was a decent filler episode.

Wait for it...

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I like how this show seems to actually be an rather in depth look at the difficulties of managing a post-war occupation of a belligerent power with some "Where is The Grand Duchess Anastasia Romanova?".

Though some things are a bit missing for me, but probably because Game of Thrones spoiled me. But I would have liked it if Chaika had something of a future Monarch inside her and be somewhat Imperious about her duty to protect her citizens and this resulting in some sort of insurrection/growing Army in Exile that would come out of the woodwork later on to support her claim.

:sigh: When is Winds of Winter coming out.

There are a lot of Chaikas out there, one might be doing just that.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Vivi turning into a Chaika is probably directly induced by Guy. There are even two Guys at once right behind Gilette before the beam hits. So no plucked eyebrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

I never understood these previews. You have blaring music while a voice over is describing the show and various sections of the episode are hastily glued together with jump cuts.

I'm gonna give this the benefit of the doubt and say that they tried to create a spoiler-free trailer, which is why little of note is in it.

Those trailers are normally shown at trade show booths looping over and over.

Tarezax posted:

I saw a shot of gray-haired Vivi in there, but her eyebrows are still thin (and also turned gray). Guys, I don't think she's a Chaika :v:

She's a shiny Chaika and only has a 1/8192 chance of spawning.
Maybe only the colorchange is instantaneous and the eyebrows take a while to grow in.

• Locked thread