Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MMania posted:

Man, now I wish the creators of this show were closet fans of that horrible D&D cartoon from the 80s.

And the antagonists are... reasonable and intelligent? I guess we'll meet the actual bad guys later on. Also, it's neat that there's crazy magical stuff going on that even the main characters don't understand, that's way better than all of the over-explaining you usually see in fantasy anime.

paragon1 posted:

All the bullshit they went through to get the coffin into that manor is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect a gaming group to do.

Thanks for these posts. I was on the fence about this show until reading your posts and seeing the latest episode, and those statements are entirely correct about this show, whether the writer and director intended it or not. Approaching this show as though it's a dnd session with a bunch of people just loving around is exactly the mindset I was missing, and Chaika being a character made by that one guy you know who's weird but still kind of fun to be around justifies her. She's a total nerd bait mishmash that makes no sense, but is executed well enough that she's still fun.

Also the various magical wildlife are interesting, and dragoon lady looks cool. Hopefully she'll join the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

At some point a fake Chaika will infiltrate the team in place of the normal one, but they will immediately recognize that she's a fake because she won't think to try using the gun to cook or do some other mundane chore.

Also Akari remains the best because she is a complete loon. Though Nikolai from the cavalier group is gaining points for being a total bro.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Roflfox posted:

DRIVING. :3:

I didn't realize until seeing this gif that the thing around her chest wasn't just a design on her dress but some weird-rear end cage. No doubt there is some hackneyed symbolism that will come about from that. Also Guy is totally emperor Gaz's ghost.

Akari remains the best character, though. And I have to wonder which of the two main parties is the dnd campaign player party. It could really go either way, and I like that the adversaries are getting nearly the same portrayal as Chaika's group. One party gets a shapeshifting robo dragon, the other gets a baller stealth fortress car.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jackard posted:

Its okay, just continue watching the childish patsy Chaika that inevitably fucks everything up by resurrecting the major villain of the setting

I actually want the ending to be Chaika and crew overcome many trials and tribulations to gather all her father's body parts, and they give him that funeral she wants and then she drives off into the sunset. That's it. Nothing happens. The end. The story was about the journey, not any climax.

vvvv I still need to finish watching Scrapped Princess one of these days. And Chaika could go off the rails and then just have a totally uneventful ending!

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 31, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jackard posted:

Random Shopkeeper: "Oh by the way here's the next place you need to go on your quest, just throwing it out there"

Well the GM has to keep them on track somehow.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Welp, Guy is unquestionably Gaz's ghost or servant or something, Freddie is toast as is the fate of NPC party members, and we'd better hope Vivi and Zita can hold out against Akari and Gillette against an entire army. If there's only one episode left I fear we're going to get a cliffhanger ending in preparation for the second season :ohdear:. And drat, the corpse walls. Even though I kinda figured that would be the result, it's still unpleasant.

Somehow I've gotten more invested in this drat show than any other this season. It's a hell of a dnd campaign.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Einander posted:

Man, Toru just destroyed Akari at the start. It's kind of amazing how far he apparently outclasses her. I guess I can see that, especially since a hammer is one of the easiest weapons in the world to use (especially compared to dual wire knives), so that's a good indication she's not as skilled, but... I expected it to be more of an even fight, not "if he could kill her, then it'd have ended in a minute."

Best show of the season. It's incredibly solid throughout, and then it hits a fight scene and it's amazing. And I usually don't really care about fight scenes.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that he beat her relatively easily in that first fight, though to be fair it was more there to show that Toru isn't the stone cold hardass he wants people to think he is. I did get the impression over the course of the show that she was more on the scouting, logistics, and actual sabotage side of being a saboteur rather than a straight up fighter like Toru, though. I don't know how the light novels or manga go, but it would be kind of neat if Akari ends up being a persistent antagonist in the second season, like if the mind control doesn't break even when the wizard is killed or something. She has at least managed to feel more threatening than any of the other enemies so far.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well that's a hell of an episode to end on. Obviously massive spoilers: Our worst fears were proven wrong in the best way possible. Freddie is even more the best character in the best dnd campaign. However Gillette was not so lucky, but I suppose that is to be expected of a disposable razor :downsrim:. We also get some hint now as to how Chaikas come about. Poor Vivi :(.

Freddie suggests that Toru contract with her to become a dragoon knight, but I can't be alone in hoping that it ends up being Akari instead so that she gets to actually do something, and each episode next season being the Freddie and Akari power half-hour would be great.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 26, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

HiveCommander posted:

A satisfying end to the season, but I liked the fight with that knife brat despite it not being much of a 'fight': stand up, turn and stab. :stonklol:

There was also Akari's walk up and crush a dude's skull in.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zeruel posted:

You son of a bitch :v:

Reminder that Chaika lifts and ain't nothin' to gently caress with.

(Spoiler for the slight spoiler)
(Spoiler.)

And then she dropped a floater in the pool. I love this stupid show.

I look forward to more next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Whats the point of having a magic sniper if you are going to shoot at point blank range :v:

So you can heat up water and cook bread and chicken, duh.

• Locked thread