Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010
For as much as this borrows from Scrapped Princess, I think the setup has more potential. Scrapped Princess suffered from using really generic stock characters and JRPG tropes. You had invincible Sword Bro, Invincible Wizard Sis, and useless whiny Princess Girl. They were all well written characters, but still...

So far Ninja Siblings and Magic Tank-Gun Girl lends itself to much more clever action scenes and the central mystery seems a bit more involved as well. I just hope it doesn't get as...weird as Scrapped Princess got near the end, or at least doesn't recycle the same twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Only 12? Scrapped Princess was 26 right? It's a bit odd that it's not getting the same treatment judging by how similar the two have been so far.

Yeah, unless they're doing a split cour that sounds crazy. I mean, it's three episodes in and they only have a hand. Can they even collect the rest of his pieces in 9 more episodes without it feeling rushed as hell?

Scrapped Princess meandered a bit in the middle but you wouldn't have been able to tell the story in 12 episodes. I'm a little worried now.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Since the LN is still running (Volume 9 was releases this month) they're probably only covering the first plot arc or so.
That or we'll get a terrible original ending.

That simultaneously makes sense and reduces my enthusiasm considerably. Well, decent chance at a second season at least unless it bombs, I guess.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

By the time this show ends we are going to have either aSuper Sentai Chaika Squad or a Rozen Chaika elimination tournament

There can be only one Chaika

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

In a way it reminds me of some of the gun fights in Trigun where Vash uses tricks or gimmicks to get things to go his way . It's probably easier to just have a protagonist overpower his foes with big swings but seeing him use the wires on his blades to grapple or give himself range or set off traps is interesting and keeps the fights from being stale.

Also saboteurs seem to be generally reviled or at least not looked upon well, and his fighting style gives me a definite rogue/assassin type of vibe.

It's a strange thing to say there's not a lot of well done ninja fighting dudes in anime, but there it is. I think I've loved just about every notable fight in this show so far.

While the humor and plot bits can be on the clunky side, the story is interesting enough and I have to admit I really like all the characters at this point. Akari hit her stride when she started going full deadpan crazy and even Dragon Girl has been winning me over the last two episodes.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I like how Akari has apparently been put in charge of general Bullshitting for no particular reason aside from unusual (but still deadpan) passion for the job.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
We got a little bit of outside political development with the opening scene and the news at the end that someone is rebelling and Hijacking a floating castle in true D&D villain fashion. The entertainer bit was fun at least. Overall though this is an extremely skippable episode. I can only assume they stretched out some dumb minor side story for pacing reasons to set up the next four episodes or whatever.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Well that plan sure turned into a huge clusterfuck in a hurry.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Even if he was, there's still a very alive and by now very angry dragon loose on the ship. FREDERICA SMASH!

About that...

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Sindai posted:

Wow that got dark fast. I was expecting them to be stealing the women's memories for magic power since it was foreshadowed at the start of the arc, but not with gratuitous torture thrown in. That seems completely unnecessary and really off-tone from the rest of the show.

I'm sure she's just...resting. :ohdear: Maybe she keeps her brain in her knee in human form!

The way I see it, the one slim chance Freddy has at this point is that she's been bullshitting everyone the whole season with all the "Just aim for my brain! It's so easy!" encouragement. She's enough of a troll to do it, but still...

Oh, and I recognize the new Chaika from some LN art that Crunchyroll posted early on. I'm guessing Layla is going to be the main antagonist from here on out, but probably not the final boss.

Things got really dark all of a sudden, for sure.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
That was a really good episode to end the season on. Just enough plot hooks for the next season while still wrapping the current story arc up quite nicely and all the main characters got a chance to shine, even Chaika. Really looking forward to picking the show back up in the Fall.

Chest Bursting Frederica was great, and it was so carthetic letting everyone come back and one-shot their assigned nemesis after the last two episodes. I really like how all the main characters in this show are smart characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Hehe.

quote:

That last knife fight perfectly encapsulates the fighting direction of this show. Also Frederica is the best, despite the ending part being totally shades of Scrapped Princess.

I have to admit, this show has been giving me an extremely vague desire to go back and watch Scrapped Princess. It's been a looong time since I've seen it. All I really remember anymore is that it was pretty good and the twist. Coffin Princess wins hands-down on action direction though, in part just because two ninja's, a dragon-thing, and a magic sniper rifle is way more interesting then fairly generic fighter+wizard.

Even though this show is (hopefully) going in a different direction, it still weirds me out a little how similar the initial set-up is, two kick-rear end siblings protecting a princess that isn't what she seems and all that.

• Locked thread