Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I'm liking this more than the mediocre character art and premise led me to believe I would. The stand out scene for me was the fight scene with the swordsman on the bridge, it was really easy to follow what each character was doing and the fight flowed really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Lurking Haro posted:

He mentions the lightning when he tells Chaika to the speed up, so he knew exactly what was up. I don't know what he expected to do after he jumped off.

I pretty sure he was just trying to be enough of a decoy to allow the others to escape. Better one death than three.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

glomkettle posted:

Only thing I didn't like about the episode was that the dragoon turned into another little girl. And even that I don't really care too much about, I just don't want this (pretty good so far) show to devolve into dumb harem junk. :smith:

Pretty much this. I'm not ecstatic about the addition of another loli to the cast but they have been pretty tasteful so far, they could have turned that bath scene into fanservice but it wasn't at all so I have hope that they won't go that route, or if they do they will play it for comedy more than anything else. Toru continues to be surprisingly intelligent and his "sister" is hilarious, the way she deadpanned out that overwrought forbidden love story was great.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm assuming that Chaika's scar is the result of plastic surgery, like that lady in Durarara.

Also, they're definitely doing the creepy-incest route with the sister, but it seems to be more bearable than usual. Mostly because the creepiness is :thejoke: rather than something we're supposed to overlook.

Well, to be fair (possible LN spoiler):according to the LNs they were raised together, but not as siblings. They grew up in a military training camp as child soldiers with a bunch of other kids that were also trained to do military stuff. Also remember that in japanese brother and sister are words that can be used with people that are not related to you, they can simply denote a certain level of closeness or respect.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That was a fun episode. I like Fredrika, reminds me of some D&D players, "Yay! Killing!". I think it's pretty obvious that some organization is making and sending out Chaikas. Clones? Magically modified girls with their memories replaced? Something else? Whatever the case it seems obvious that they are doing this to gather the body of the evil emperor for some nefarious purpose.

Also, Akari's increasingly violent attempts to interrupt any situation that could vaguely look like romance to the most suspicious of eyes(hers!) is hilarious to me, even if it is clichéd.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

The wanted poster is pretty amazing:

Oh man Toru's face, I mean they are all awful but Toru's surpasses bad and becomes art. :laugh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Toru's expression when they went to the prison to rescue the Chaika impersonator was priceless. :allears:

"Why me?"

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

It was still pretty entertaining, probably because I like watching Toru suffer and Akari be Akari.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Sindai posted:

Wow that got dark fast. I was expecting them to be stealing the women's memories for magic power since it was foreshadowed at the start of the arc, but not with gratuitous torture thrown in. That seems completely unnecessary and really off-tone from the rest of the show.

I hate to say it but the torture makes sense in a horrific way. If magic power is derived from memories then I would expect clearer and more vivid memories to yield more energy. What could be more vivid and deeply etched than memories of torture? Not to mention that such memories can be easily and reliably created. Ugh. :smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

It's also one of those shows with a general upward trend in quality, there are a couple potholes but for the most part the show has been getting more and more interesting, the last episode in particular was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I thought I would be annoyed when Frederica was inevitably revived but a Chibi-Frederica chest-bursting out of her own corpse is enough to forgive everything. Never stop being awesome Frederica. :allears:

The knife fight was great, Tooru just baiting in that smug little gently caress and gut stabbing him, then Akari walking up to mage dude and just braining him and Frederica just going slaughter house on the spider human hybrids. The fighting is just so great in this show, flashy when it should be, straight forward when it should be, the characters are generally intelligent about when and how they fight, it's just a joy to watch. :)

I can't wait for season two. :haw:

• Locked thread