Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Umm, her father didn't control the entire world. In other words, the war that lead to his death wasn't a rebellion, but multiple other countries banded together. The heroes returned home with their "prizes" after the war and that's where Chaika's looking for them. I'm not sure where the assumption that they're wandering around his former empire is coming from.

As for the siblings and their skills, it's actually reasonably explained, somewhat depressingly so, but I'll wait and see if the anime covers their background before talking any more about that.

Incidentally there was a wordpress site that was translating the actual LNs, and had basically finished the first 3, that I spotted last week, but it seems to be missing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dan7el posted:

Yeah. Like, what the gently caress did he expect? He seems pretty capable and then he pulls this?

Exactly what happened, because he was simply getting them off the tail of the carriage, which as a large object would have a rather hard time dodging lightning. As for competence, if I recall correctly he has a long running battle with them and manages to kill quite a few in the printed versions, before basically getting run down and exhausted, so possibly laziness and time constraints on the part of the animation staff?

Dan7el posted:

They seem more like bad-rear end ninja-hybrids to me. Family trait? Maybe they really are blood-siblings? I was hoping not.

Though it's possible they'll toss up a background episode later on, I'm pretty sure the anime just ran over the segment where their past is mentioned. Still, in a way the truth is actually more depressing than that. No, they're not blood-related at all. They were both raised in a village whose explicit purpose was to raise saboteurs for the war. It took in orphans and children sold to the village for money by their parents and they were all raised together, which is where the whole family thing comes from. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure the war ended before Toru and Akari were sent out, so they've been stuck with a singular learned skill set with little use in a peaceful world. There's more to Toru's apathy than that, but that's the gist of it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Elite posted:

They slipped in a quick "we're siblings, but not by blood" in the show too. Because anime. :argh: Though at least they're getting jokes out of it.

I like this show when it's being goofy D&D campaign but it kind of bugs me when it embraces anime tropes too much.

e.g. I thought it was weird when Toru referred to himself as a "washed up saboteur with no purpose in life". He's 20. Which I realize is anime middle age, but still it struck me as dumb.

And like everybody else here I'm annoyed that shapeshifter cat-dragoon-lady immediately decided to become a 12 year old girl for no apparent reason.

Unfortunately, they're doing a wild mishmash of stuff from the manga/LN and anime-original stuff, which is resulting in some really weird stuff.. For example Chaika's scar, if it exists at all in the original material, certainly hasn't been mentioned at this point.

In regards to this episode, one big detail they changed is that hologram. It's not Dominica, but rather her little sister who's projected there which, along with a different situation where it's encountered, leads to significantly changed conversation and reasoning. More to the point, Frederika's chosen form is supposed to be Dominica's little sister, with significant traces of Dominica as well, which as an otherwise formless being choosing a human form, makes some amount of sense for her(it?) to choose something familiar. Plus Frederika's a giant troll, so it was chosen at least partially to screw with Toru.

Toru referring to himself that was doesn't have much to do with :japan: and more to do with past experiences. Aside from being raised from childhood as a saboteur with no other skills, including being eager to show of his skills to, you know, kill people, but having the war he was raised for end before he participated, he also had a situation happen that convinced him of the pointlessness of life. Probably at least partially because of that, he never really adapted any other life skills when he and Akari were released to the outside world.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

When you say manga/LN are you actually talking about the LN (which I'm not sure is even translated) or just the manga? I've noticed that a lot of people read the manga first because it's more readily available, and then compare the anime to that while ignoring that the anime is based on the LN directly (and often more faithful). I'm not saying this is the case here, but if you actually mean the LN I think it would be less confusing to say so directly, since the manga is ultimately irrelevant to this particular adaptation.

I've only read a bit of the manga and what I've seen it seems to play up certain parts more than the LN(like Akari's tendencies), but seems generally the same. The LN itself was being translated on someone's Wordpress account, with updates as recent as early last month. Unfortunately, it seems to have been taken down some time in the past two weeks. They'd finished translating through this part though, which is the second book, and had translated the opening of the next. In other words they've covered one volume every 2 episodes, which is insanely fast, and would be skipping huge chunks even if they weren't making their own stuff up as well.

There's also a partial translation of the first novel on baka-tsuki, but given the project was started last year and they don't even have the first volume done, it's likely dead. As for the Wordpress site, you can still find cached pages but that's all.

• Locked thread