Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The war was only a year or two ago, right? If Tooru joined at around 16 (on the young end for a soldier, but not implausible), that would give him a decent amount of combat experience to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I will admit that I wasn't paying a huge amount of attention to every detail but this was not immediately apparent to me from the first two episodes. I interpreted the war as an uprising within the guy's empire (and since he was called Emperor I assume he had one) rather than coming from separate external countries. Thanks for the clarification though, that does make a little more sense.

Even if it was an uprising, what we've been told so far suggests the empire was huge. It's very likely that the conquered territories had their own languages, which likely achieved new prominence after their occupiers got booted out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, calling it now - Guy is a magical AI.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

He mentions the lightning when he tells Chaika to the speed up, so he knew exactly what was up. I don't know what he expected to do after he jumped off.

I think the lightning was actually from the car - he had Chaika perform an improper shutdown in order to fry the surrounding area. Unfortunately, it then turned out that an Orthros can store lightning and return it to sender.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm assuming that Chaika's scar is the result of plastic surgery, like that lady in Durarara.

Also, they're definitely doing the creepy-incest route with the sister, but it seems to be more bearable than usual. Mostly because the creepiness is :thejoke: rather than something we're supposed to overlook.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm still thinking we're looking at cosmetic surgery, like with that girl in Durarara, rather than just switching heads like Lego people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, that's great news. Are the LNs over and done with, by the way? I just wanna know whether we're likely to get an anime-original ending.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On an unrelated note, what does the Iron Blood Transformation actually do? I don't think we ever see Toru or Akari pull off anything superhuman whilst under its influence (super-strength, super-speed, tanking wounds that should kill them, or whatever). They just sometimes seem to glow red whilst kicking rear end and that's it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Revolver Bunker posted:

For her just slapping him those are some visible rough marks. Fredrica going to town on Toru was the best though. I wonder if she still hits as hard as her dragoon form in her human form. Chaika getting super pissed at the end of the episode and Toru having no idea why was great as well.

I must admit to being ever-so-slightly weirded out by the way the show appears to be setting up a twenty-year-old and a fourteen-year-old as its main couple, though. Yes, that's only two years off Romeo and Juliet, but Shakespeare isn't anime and anime is very rarely Shakespeare.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

So teen girls having crushes on +20 guys is unnatural? Marriage at 14 was also a thing during Shakespeare's time and not Shakespeare being weird.
Not everything is set in 21st century first world countries. Even Toru and Akari were child soldiers.

Her having a crush isn't a big deal - the bigger one is that they seem to be treating it rather like a legit pairing. Again, the problem is that it's not Shakespaeare, it's anime, a medium with a massive load of weird cultural baggage about the fetishisation of youth. Like I said, this is minor, and the show has been relatively tasteful so far, but coupled with all the nerdbait tropes that Chaika's design ticks off (white-haired little girl in stylised maid outfit with gigantic magical sniper rifle), it does trigger some rather uncomfortable associations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dan7el posted:

It makes sense that the writers took Fredrica out of the picture right away last episode. A loving dragon on your side means no tension. They'd just waltz up to the bad guys and she'd kill them.

Seeing Toru handle Akari was nice too. It's nice to have a capable protagonist every once in a while.

Looks like the neck scars are a significant thing after all. I wonder how they make all the Chaika heads? I imagine some kind of Creepy Crawler mold thingy, but they put in the goop and out comes a Chaika head.

I'm assuming they take a bunch of girls and do the medieval-fantasy equivalent of plastic surgery on them. The scars are from that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Interesting to see that it was the dumbass warmongering general who ended up effectively ending the villains' plans and saving millions of lives. Normally, his sort of character just make things worse for the good guys.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think we're all missing the most important question here. What colour Chaika is Vivi?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
No more fun fantasy to watch on Wednesdays. Bah. Ah well, there's still UQ Holder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the Chaikas being from a variety of different cultures seems to explain the language thing quite adequately.

• Locked thread