Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

It's only running for 12 episodes and they probably wanted to show the Dragoon woman at the end of the episode.

Only 12? Scrapped Princess was 26 right? It's a bit odd that it's not getting the same treatment judging by how similar the two have been so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

glomkettle posted:

Only thing I didn't like about the episode was that the dragoon turned into another little girl. And even that I don't really care too much about, I just don't want this (pretty good so far) show to devolve into dumb harem junk. :smith:

This made me groan a bit. I would have liked it better if she still looked like Dominica, but took on her (his? its?) own personality.

There's something that I haven't been able to put my finger on that has been irking me since the first episode, and I just figured it out: the background art is really drab. The characters and important focal bits all look great, but everything else is rather plain and unimaginative. I still like the show, but visually, especially compared to world of Scrapped Princess, the setting doesn't look all that interesting.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Requesting gif of Fredrica rear end-stomping the bandit. Not sure why she just disappears after she runs off as a cat though.

Also, I'm really glad the show's finally diverged from Scrapped Princess. It was way too alike before now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Squidster posted:

I'm saddened to hear it's only 12 episodes - it definitely feels like it has enough story for a 52-ep FMA run. I'm continually impressed with the balancing act they're doing with the protagonist; he's clearly ruthless in battle, but isn't cruel in nature. Threatening to knife a defeated opponent mid-battle is normally a protagonist no-no.

That's an interesting way to put it, and if you think about it it's a lot like how you'd describe a weapon. A gun no one's holding is just gonna sit there innocuously as a complex lump of metal, but once it's in someone's, or maybe something's, hands it's suddenly a whole lot more dangerous. It fits well with his Saboteur nature.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think they just become a little stronger, faster, sharper, etc. and they lose all emotion so they can focus only on fighting. My assumption, anyway.

The fight choreography is the one thing that's really selling the show so far, and this episode had plenty of it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

I don't know why two of the best shows this season air on the same day of the week and have gleefully murderous sidekick characters but I am liking this trend.

Wednesdays are now on par with Fridays, albeit for different reasons.

I'm really surprised at how great a character Fredrica is. She is pretty much a cat in every way but looking like one (most of the time) in that she does whatever the gently caress she wants, whenever the gently caress she wants which sometimes includes helping out Toru and co. and sometimes demanding that he fight her (or take the opportunity to beat the poo poo out of him).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

Anyone else wonder about mass neither being created or destroyed as Frederica converts from girl to dragoon and back again?

That goes for pretty much any form of magic/sci-fi where something is being created/destroyed/teleported. It's best not to think about it too much, or just assume that the structure of their world allows for it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Sandman posted:

Kinda interesting that illusion-Chaika was speaking in whole sentences. A flaw in the illusion, or in his perception of Chaika? Or just a quick shorthand to let the viewers know that something screwy was going on even before it was explicitly spelled out?

Huh, I didn't catch that. It was probably his perception, or rather his imagination, as well as simple hint.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Basically watched this show in 3 sittings. Liked it a lot! Especially how a lot of names are derived from cars. I mean.

They named a town Acura this episode. I doubt anyone missed that, either here or in Japan.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

I'm sure a ton of people missed it in Japan considering Acura doesn't exist in Japan. I'm pretty sure the majority of the vehicle manufacturers in this show would be obscure to the average Japanese viewer.

Wait, really? Since Honda is the parent company, I assumed Acuras would be wherever Hondas are.

Or are Hondas not sold in Japan either and I have this completely wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Desuwa posted:

edit: Nevermind, I'd forgotten the red one had the same speech issues. I guess that makes Vivi and the blue one the only ones with fluency.

We don't know for sure how Vivi is as a Chaika. Do Chaika's retain the personality of the original, or is it some sort of redesign based on diversifying the Chaikas?

• Locked thread