Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Chaika The Coffin Princess (Hitsugi no Chaika) is a anime adaption of a light novel series by Ichiro Sakaki, the author of Scrapped Princess, it's being animated by BONES with Masui Souichi (Scrapped Princess, RahXephon) as the director.

Story:

Crunchyroll and ANN posted:

The year is 1604. On the continent of Verbist, an age of war lasting for three generations finally ended with the fall of the northern nation, the Gaz Empire. In addition to legitimate knights and soldiers, the militant forces sent to battle included wizards, saboteurs, and mercenaries, totaling 620,000. What's more, three airborne strongholds and massive numbers of magical weapons plus beast and dragon cavalries were added to the ranks, ending in the annihilation of the Gaz Empire, which had been deemed "the root of all evil."

Tooru Acura is a 20-year-old retired soldier meandering through life now that the war has ended. He encounters Chaika Trabant, a 14-year-old sorceress carrying a coffin, and follows her in hopes of finding meaning to his life again. The two travel with Tooru's adopted sister, Akari, the employed member of the group and thus Tooru's source of income.

Cast:

Chaika Trabant (VA: Anzai Chika)
A young sorceress with a magic PTRD she carries around in a coffin, doesn't mince words.

Tooru Acura (Left, VA: Majima Junji)
A lazy and poor former sapper, though in this setting it appears as if sappers are more magic commandos than combat engineers. Meets Chaika while gathering edible plants/getting attacked by a unicorn, subsequently hired by her to break into a mansion and steal a magical artifact.

Akari Acura (Right, VA: Hara Yuuko)
Tooru's adopted sister and also a former sapper.

Alberic Gillette and company
Apparently associated with "the Postwar Restoration Agency", they are after the same magical artifact that that Chaika is seeking.

Why should I watch this?
The animation is decent, the choreography and action is pretty good, and the setting seems like it'll be a bit more interesting than your usual generic fantasy setting. Personally the whole setup really reminds me of Pumpkin Scissors, a group of people traveling through a country after the end of a long war.

Where can I watch/read this?
Crunchyroll simulcasts it on Wednesdays at 11:00am Pacific. There's also a manga, but it and the LN don't appear to have been licensed yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

XboxPants posted:

The crazy magic rifle (in a medieval fantasy setting, to boot) is specifically what I'm thinking of.

Don't forget about the Steampunk 18 wheeler.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Hell of a ending for the first season. I have a feeling that unless there's something else really outstanding in the fall, this is going to be my non-JoJo nomination for best show of the year.

• Locked thread