Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
I just want to start off by saying it is really comforting to read about other people going through the same thing.

I was in a 65 mph rollover accident a year and a half ago, and I have some (permanent?) nerve damage in my back. The orthopedist said I had stretched nerves in my back and hips, and that I may or may not recover from it. Basically, I can't hold any one position for very long without deep, intense pain (I have trouble even going to the movies--it's funny how the little things get to you), my legs/feet go numb intermittently, and I have shooting pains when I twist at all. I also have a couple of extremely tender to the touch spots on my hips/lower back. I don't have great insurance (high deductible), so I haven't been able to try everything as far as treatments go. I have tried chiropractors, PT, yoga, massage and a variety of painkillers. I really do wish I had a definitive diagnosis, as though labeling it would somehow help.

Marijuana has actually been the best treatment thus far. It takes the edge off and lets me sit/stand for longer than 20 minutes, although the pain never goes away completely. The only downside is I don't like to use it if I'm going to be driving, and the stigma that goes along with weed use.

I do get frustrated sometimes, and I really feel bad about inflicting it on my significant other. He has been really great about it. He does the dishes now because that slightly bent-over position that goes along with doing dishes is really awful for me. I suppose I get depressed too. Part of what gets me though is that friends will forget that I have a problem because it really isn't obvious, and I hate to have to bring it up, and tell them that no, I can't do X thing. It feels like complaining and it is embarrassing. I hate always having to plan things around my pain. I can't even sit at a table for a nice long meal.

Wow, sorry to be so negative. It feels really great to talk about it though; I feel like no one really understands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

brakanjan posted:

A pox on all cinema seats lol. I have literally bought a movie ticket then gone inside and sat down for about 2 seconds before going back and asking for a refund because there was no way I was sitting for 2 hours there (it was a new cinema). Also a pox on modern minimalist furniture tables and chairs :). If this is long term. Learn what works for you and try not to fight to much with your old self with things you think you should be able to do. Learning movement over again sucks but it can be done. As for labeling it helped me I suppose , although I argued with the label for another 5 years in denial and only the last couple of years I tried to embrace it. I have just accepted another full time job and I am now realizing that I will probably have to go back to part - time - just to keep up with my extra mural stretching and health regime. hang in there :)

Thanks for this. It's hard to accept that this is my new body, with all it's limitations!

Absolute Evil posted:

I'm 35 and have the same herniated discs/nerve pain. People don't understand that it's not *just* having pain, it's having pain that is never ending. It exhausts you and wears you down mentally.

This is really true as well. After the accident I went to part time because even that would wipe me out entirely. I had the intention of going back to full-time, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

As for the marijuana, that is so rough. I'm lucky that I both live in a state where it's legal (medicinally) and that my employer doesn't drug test. If you are in a marijuana legal state, maybe talk to HR and see if there could be an exemption for prescribed use?

• Locked thread