Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
One of the most frustrating things is how few success stories there are. I suffer from a herniated disc with a pinched sciatic nerve. I guess that's not such a big deal compared to the above stated, but there are times where it will knock me on my rear end for weeks on end. I'll feel like a 70 year old man and have difficulty just moving around.

I get mixed responses from doctors. Some tell me that it is just pain, suck it up, my back is as strong as it ever was. Others tell me I should adopt major changes to my lifestyle to avoid aggravating it. I have spent drat near the last decade trying to identify patterns to figure out what triggers the symptoms and I've had zero luck. To put this into perspective, I am an active and physically fit person. For the last couple months I have spent my weekends doing motocross and downhill mountain biking. About a month ago, it was pretty rough, I had trouble getting my legs up so I had do have a friend hold my bike so I could get on and off, I could walk, but couldn't run. Now with no change in my leisure activities, and lots of heavy lifting at work it is actually better, I just get little electric shocks when I walk.

The most obvious and logical response people have is that I put too much strain on myself, but let's rewind to January and February. I did not touch a motorcycle, snowboard or mountain bike the whole time. Work was slow, and I was more or less getting paid to sit on my rear end and browse Reddit. During that time, I couldn't stand up straight, I had shooting electric pain in my leg whenever I tried to walk, hurt to sit, hurt to stand, hurt even more to lay down.

I've tried everything. NSAIDs, chiropractic, weed, yoga, stupid stretches my doctor told me to do. Anything I try either doesn't work, or "sort of works" in a way that's probably just my imagination. Symptoms just seem to come and go at random intervals with varying duration and intensity, regardless of what I do.

If anybody out there has suffered a similar condish, I'd like to hear your story. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

WildWanderer fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread